Pre-SOMA leadership on M.D. applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kfranko889

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was an active member and secretary for my school's chapter of Pre-Students of Osteopathic medicine and I spent a considerable amount of time planning events and bringing in speakers for the club. I ended up deciding to apply only to allopathic schools (I love the D.O. philosophy, but there were only 2-3 schools that really interested me in the end and 2 applications is a pain...) so should I talk about this experience on AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Leadership = leadership. If you can demonstrate that you learned and grew and accomplished something that lasted, def. include it.

^ Senpai's opinion

I was an active member and secretary for my school's chapter of Pre-Students of Osteopathic medicine and I spent a considerable amount of time planning events and bringing in speakers for the club. I ended up deciding to apply only to allopathic schools (I love the D.O. philosophy, but there were only 2-3 schools that really interested me in the end and 2 applications is a pain...) so should I talk about this experience on AMCAS?

It should be an activity on your AMCAS. There is nothing wrong with osteopathic stuff on an allopathic application. But, I would not focus on it and certainly would not dedicate essay space to it. If that is the most meaningful thing you have done this far, find something else to talk about.