Pre-transfer GPA and Post-transfer Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBrand

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here. I had a few questions about my situation and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light and a bit of outlook for me.

I attended a Christian university for my first year of college, where a large majority of my time was spent training as a decathlete for the track and field team...practice time ranged ~ 30 hours a week. Due to this large time commitment, my grades suffered and I received a 2.9 cGPA, 3.14 sGPA for my first year.

I transferred to a much larger 4 year university for my sophomore year(currently)-senior year where I am involved in undergraduate genomic research(ongoing), hospital volunteering(ongoing), community involvement, clubs, etc... Major: Clinical Lab Science. cGPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.91.

My question is: Given I maintain my current grades and do well on the big cat, How much will my sub-par first year affect my chances when applying? Will a committee see my 1st year as a minimal problem?

Members don't see this ad.

All four years of your application will be taken into consideration. However, a steep upward trend is encouraging.