Pre-Vet Creative Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelin2vetmed

CSU c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm somewhat part of an online community, I know there's a bunch of you who are fellow artists, musicians, poets, etc.

It'd be really nice to share some work and see what's being created.

Well, I guess I should start:

Balloon

Burning sapphire jewel on the Arizona sky
Drifts a hot air balloon with 5 jumpers and I
Collective tension of spectators rumbles below
Bottled and pumped through our veins, the fuel for the show

Crackling static of speakers as the stadium ignites
“Ladies and Gentleman, prepare for feats of human flight”
Moments later, backed by soundtracks of roaring fanfare
Wingsuit all of us, in formation, through the warm summer’s air

To step off the edge, to be embraced by the clouds
Doesn’t take courage, or balls, or special powers endowed
Just an unquenchable thirst and insatiable hunger
To unearth the gifts of this world and to conquer the blunders

A life chaotically uprooted and a career stopped in its tracks
Others question my motives, “Was it worth it?” they ask
It’s much harder you see, with words I am lost
To pursue a thunderous passion at no matter the cost

Buried deep under rubble, in the lock-box of my mind
Past the wheelchair, the broken body, and the pain, you will find
An immaculate dove, who defends the same dream
To return to the skies, joyous, golden, and free

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I could share some of my high school poems, but they might just stay in the depths of DA hell for eternity...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have to see what I can scavenge. :confused:

I'm neither an artist, musician, or a poet. But I will enjoy reading posts on this thread!

Never mind, I forgot that I did something artsy in college! This is the logo I designed for my college's marine science dept. -through Photoshop, drawing, etc. I won the competition and now it's on all the t-shirts, rashguards, hoodies, etc. It's so fun to walk around campus and see students wearing my hard work, and they have no idea it was my design.

Attachments

• 775596_623420491042911_1420810984_o (1).png
    775596_623420491042911_1420810984_o (1).png
    269.9 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 7 users
One time I drew this rabbit-eating demon in biostats.

Attachments

• DSCF5915.JPG
    DSCF5915.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: 4 users
I drew a thing once or twice... this time was as I was applying to vet schools and brought a crow that had been HBC in to the wildlife rehab center.

Attachments

• 528540_688078234070_2005402740_n.jpg
    528540_688078234070_2005402740_n.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 157
Hmm. I write fiction. I've had a couple stories published but I won't link to them here because that would reveal my secret identity ;)

I used to write poetry back in high school and early in college but I like fiction much better.

Reactions: 1 user
I write some fiction which is published on wattpad. I can share my profile privately if anyone really wants to check it out but it's not that good so... meh.
I could maybe share my short story... but everything else is way too long for here lol.

I sing for fun but that's just me screwing around so I won't share any of those haha.
And uh, I used to play alto saxophone... but again I've got nothing to really share.

<-- I drew my avatar. It's approx. 16 in by 16 in. Drawing and painting is my thing.

Reactions: 11 users
A poem I wrote back in high school. It's honestly my favorite and least-cringey of my younger years

Dissect
From a simple beginning,
To where we are now.
From love to betrayal
I reflect on how.

Your simple word, baby
Drew me in closer.
A hug and a kiss
But you were far from over.

Slowly but surely,
You drew me under a spell.
My heart beat faster,
My love began to swell.

"Baby, I'm losing you."
My words say this so.
"Don't worry my darling.
I'll never let go."

My trust thrown to you,
I sigh with resign.
Fallen asleep in your arms,
But now it's time.

You lay me on the table,
Your tools lie near.
While I rest in my peace,
I feel no fear.

The Dissection begins
As I lie unknowing.
Yet the blood seems to drip,
And I don't know where it's going.

You've opened my chest,
And ripped out my heart.
My breathing gets slower,
As a loved one slowly departs.

A single tear
Runs down my shallowed face.
You barely hear me say,
"Must this be the case?"

Ignored or forgotten
You reach to your side.
For to keep me alive,
While I lay there and cried.

In your hand lay
A beautious mystery.
A hand-crafted heart,
Made of ice, just for me.

You quietly stitch me
As the icicle beats.
Running coldness through my veins,
Your greatest feat.

I awake quite suddenly
As I look around the room.
Nothing will be the same,
Until you prevent this doom.

Reactions: 5 users
Freaking writers. Bringers of feels.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
T-Shirt I designed for a charity event. They turned out really nice.

MWM.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Followed by the revision of the above poem I did in my creative writing class my final semester of college

Tundra
Things used to be so simple, back in the beginning of us
Before the love, before the betrayal
Your deception still wounds me, pierces me, yet even now I do not understand why
Your hands that rested on my shoulders used to be my fireplace
My weekend beach house, a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup to sooth a sick day in bed
A wet nose waking me up in the morning because the mouth below it wanted breakfast
All the things that reminded me of home but instead you are the northern tundra
Where wolves prance and run after the caribou that trample the mossy lichens flat
Cold, and desolate
And your hands are made of broken glass
Not the kind that shimmers and reflects the lights of the stars that used to shine in your eyes
Or that I could see through into your deepest hopes and intricacies
But the kind that refracts your deeds so they’re scattered
So I could not see the lies, the fear, the other women
Those hands that tighten around my ignorant form
Hands that tighten not in comfort but in restraint
Held me closer so I could not run
I did not know
I never knew
The coming frost
When you laid me
On the cold table
When you dragged
The steel blade
Across my chest
Tore my heart
From its home
I saw, I felt, the new companion
A beautiful crystal, hand-crafted, shining in its mystery
An edged jewel that would have made a better home on a loved one’s third finger
Finds a new home where love will never grow
My body is withered and drained of life
But what does a bauble such as this need of life or blood or warmth
When it still sends chills through my body; frozen fire flashes and weaves through my veins
A glacial heartbeat, spreading naught but raw, thundering pain
Now I too, am the tundra
The wasteland
Wasted because of you

There is a reason I am in vet med and have a draw towards science and math. It is because I am not creative. At all. Zero creativity.

My mom would try to make nice comments about the things I would draw for book reports or whatever growing up. She would be all "That is a nice house." Umm, Mom, "that is a cow, not a house"... "Oh, umm, it looks like a house." Thanks, mom. :yeahright:

I found one short enough to post (most of my "short" stories are 4000+ words). It's not final yet...a couple revisions still to go. As a side note, I've also been involved in starting up a new online literary magazine with a couple friends from high school :D some of us ran a blog back then where we posted poetry.
Anyway, here's the story, currently called "Anchor"

Some mornings she would look out her window and wonder where the sky had gone. But it was only because the clouds had covered it so completely with their massive grey bodies that she felt so disconnected. She had never been a fan of winter. Summer was in her dreams and someday she would move to an island of constant sunshine, somewhere like Jamaica. She had been there once when she was fourteen. It felt much more like home than Maine. There she could float on the bright blue water until it carried her back to shore. There she could stretch out like a lizard in the sun and never feel cold again.
“Gracie! Wake up!” Her eyes were pulled from the darkness outside to the peeling paint on the edges of her locked bedroom door. She watched a flake fall as her brother shook the handle.
“I’m up, I’m up, hold your horses!” She was taking him to see the sunrise on the beach again. He was obsessed with how it changed day to day based on the state of the sky. She pulled on jeans and a sweatshirt, one of the many she owned that were imprinted with her high school’s crest. A phoenix rose from the center, flanked by a scroll, sword, paintbrush, and atom. Maybe someday a university crest would take its place.
She pulled her door open and found Kyle leaning against it from his position on the floor. He was peeling at his fingernails.
“Kyle, cut that out. Your pinky hasn’t even healed yet.” He had peeled the nail too close to the quick and it had continued to bleed in a slow, seeping way for hours. “Is Mom up already?”
“Nuh uh. I made myself breakfast. Didn’t even burn the toast!”
“Good job, bud. You ready?”
“I’ve been ready for an hour!”
“Well let’s go then. Get my keys for me, will ya?”
She ducked into the bathroom to brush her teeth and put her thick, chestnut hair in a ponytail. But on second thought she decided to leave it down. Having it up drew attention to her face, too pale and freckled without her usual makeup.
Kyle returned with her keys and an apple.
“You gotta eat something Gracie. You can’t be grumpy today.”
She stuck her tongue out at him but took the apple. It was kind of sweet, him thinking about her like that.
The door to their mother’s bedroom was shut but not locked. Gracie opened it slowly, keeping downward pressure on the handle so the top of the door wouldn’t stick to the frame. She could see some of her mom’s hair curling up from under the covers. She deserved to sleep in, though she rarely allowed herself that luxury. Work and the parenting of a wild ten-year-old and a high school dropout had finally begun to wear on her. Gracie left the note she had scribbled on the dresser next to the locket that had been her Mother’s Day gift. Inside there was a small photo of eight-year-old Gracie, holding her infant brother in her arms.
She snuck out of the room, pulled the door closed behind her, and collected Kyle from the other side of the house. He already had his coat and boots on.
#
The beach was a natural echo chamber. The gulls had awoken with the coming dawn and were calling to each other, though whether it was a morning greeting or the bickering of too many close family members, Gracie couldn’t tell. It all sounded like screaming.
To the east the clouds stretched their heavy blanket over the horizon, blurring the fiery ball of the sun that had just begun to show its face. There the grey was shot through with shades of bright pink and burnt orange, streaks that reached like spidery fingers across the sky. Gracie folded her arms around herself as the wind picked up, but she heard Kyle unzip his jacket behind her.
“What are you doing?”
“The polar bear plunge!” He had worn his swimming trunks and a rash guard under his clothes. Gracie wondered where and how the excitement for jumping in the ocean in the middle of January had formed in his elementary school brain. She silently cursed whoever had planted the idea in his head.
“Kyle, it’s way too cold to get in the water.”
“That’s the point dummy. I’ll be like a polar bear.”
“Polar bears have thick skin and lots of fat to keep them warm.”
“It’ll only be for a minute.” He ran off towards the water before she could really put her foot down on the issue. She chased him, but he was quicker on the rocks and they were too close to the water for her to catch up before he ran in. Gracie kicked off her shoes and toed a few inches of icy ocean before jumping back. He was still going, swimming through the waves now. She had felt the current’s pull even with the water only covering half her foot.
“Kyle! Come back, the current’s too strong!”
He either didn’t hear her or chose to ignore her. Either way he did not answer. They were both strong swimmers, had spent their lives five minutes from the ocean. She had been a lifeguard one summer before she was fired for dozing off, even though her section of the beach had been deserted.
Gracie watched his head dip under as each wave came over him, her heart pounding against her lungs. He was turning around to come back when three waves hit in quick succession, keeping him under for too long. It felt like hours, a full day as she stripped off her coat and ran towards the place where she had last seen his curl-covered head.
She thought she heard a choked scream but it could have been the gulls. Now that she was in the water, she couldn’t see whether Kyle had come up yet. She couldn’t see anything but water, freezing water that forced a chill straight through her skin and into her bones.
Her throat was torn by the saltwater she swallowed while she screamed his name. Now the current had her and she couldn’t tell whether it was bringing her closer to him or further away. The numbness in her fingers and toes was spreading to her wrists and ankles.
She felt she had been struggling against the waves for days. Her body was sluggish, only kept afloat by the ice in her veins. She imagined letting go of the chain that anchored her to existence. The feeling of her lungs filling with water, the burning inside making her forget the cold all around. The warped sound of her voice, trapped in the last bubbles of air that floated from her throat. She felt her muscles cramp and give out, her body no longer under her control. And finally something like sweet relief, as she gave in to the ocean’s insistent pull and floated out to sea.

Some clips from my latest video:

levi_vegeta_video___clip_4_by_powderblue22-d9euko6.gif

levi_vegeta_video___clip_3_by_powderblue22-d9eukoq.gif

levi_vegeta_video___clip_5_by_powderblue22-d9eukne.gif

tumblr_inline_nx0k5s5fkv1sz3cus_500.gif

Watch it :D

Reactions: 1 users
That is the beginning of my parents' Christmas gift. It's of our puppy we lost in March. Super excited to see their reactions. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20151107_152935924.jpg
    IMG_20151107_152935924.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 141
That is the beginning of my parents' Christmas gift. It's of our puppy we lost in March. Super excited to see their reactions. :)

Is that acrylic paint you're using?

You make me want to bust out all of my painting stuff and easel and just blow off school and paint :)

I just use Corel Painter. I like how I can get the look of traditional media (more or less) while having all the conveniences of it being digital (like how I can erase ANYTHING)

You make me want to bust out all of my painting stuff and easel and just blow off school and paint :)

Not saying you should blow off school...... But painting is more fun!

Is that acrylic paint you're using?

Ooh no. Lol. Definitely oil. I consider acrylic to be the devil's tool of torture. Lol

Never mind, I forgot that I did something artsy in college! This is the logo I designed for my college's marine science dept. -through Photoshop, drawing, etc. I won the competition and now it's on all the t-shirts, rashguards, hoodies, etc. It's so fun to walk around campus and see students wearing my hard work, and they have no idea it was my design.

Where are you located? The logo has a very Polynesian feel to it. I love island art, my sleeve is traditional tatau. I had it hand tapped in Tahiti.

Not saying you should blow off school...... But painting is more fun!

Ooh no. Lol. Definitely oil. I consider acrylic to be the devil's tool of torture. Lol

That was my second guess :p

It's funny because I went into my first real oil painting class thinking I was going to hate it, acrylic was the best, blah blah
Turns out I loved it and then I took the acrylics class the following semester and couldn't stand acrylics anymore :p

It's been so long since I've picked up a paintbrush though... it always feels like a lot of work to bust out the paints and everything when you can so much more easily just grab a stick of charcoal.

I can finger paint with Crayola non-toxic tube paint! :p

Reactions: 6 users
Not sure why it's sideways, blame my phone. Did this in my freshman drawing class in undergrad (dear God 10 years ago!). It was a present for my grandma because whenever we went to visit her our dog would always run around her house looking for this toy. She'd find it and carry it around with her and sleep with it the entire time we'd visit.

Attachments

• 1448424596365.jpg
    1448424596365.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: 4 users
It's funny because I went into my first real oil painting class thinking I was going to hate it, acrylic was the best, blah blah
Turns out I loved it and then I took the acrylics class the following semester and couldn't stand acrylics anymore :p

It's been so long since I've picked up a paintbrush though... it always feels like a lot of work to bust out the paints and everything when you can so much more easily just grab a stick of charcoal.

Acrylic just dries too dang fast!! lol. With oil, it's so much easier to work with. And charcoal is so messy! Gets absolutely everywhere!

Thanks for starting this thread @wheelin2vetmed !
I like to draw :)

Usually with good ol' fashioned pencil and sketchbook but sometimes digital too. I really haven't been doing it as much as I should lately, though...so these are all a year or more old. Apologies in advance for long post :D

tumblr_mrjmepLeDG1r2k4j4o1_500.png

tumblr_mnhq4hlnEb1r2k4j4o1_500.png

tumblr_mwt1q1PGm91r2k4j4o1_500.jpg

13168309@400-1397035190.jpg
tumblr_mfdbg0LlId1r2k4j4o1_r1_500.png

piece de resistance
tumblr_mi16krqAau1r2k4j4o1_500.png

Wanted to attach a few newer drawings/doodles too but it keeps failing. probably too big and I can't be bothered to resize them...later.

No joke, my uncle has made millions in the coloring book industry. I can hook you up. Quality books.
LMAO, my dad won't stop pestering my sister and me to "make an adult coloring book, people are making millions!"

Reactions: 5 users
I like to draw :)

Usually with good ol' fashioned pencil and sketchbook but sometimes digital too. I really haven't been doing it as much as I should lately, though...so these are all a year or more old. Apologies in advance for long post :D

tumblr_mrjmepLeDG1r2k4j4o1_500.png

tumblr_mnhq4hlnEb1r2k4j4o1_500.png

tumblr_mwt1q1PGm91r2k4j4o1_500.jpg

13168309@400-1397035190.jpg
tumblr_mfdbg0LlId1r2k4j4o1_r1_500.png

piece de resistance
tumblr_mi16krqAau1r2k4j4o1_500.png

Wanted to attach a few newer drawings/doodles too but it keeps failing. probably too big and I can't be bothered to resize them...later.

LMAO, my dad won't stop pestering my sister and me to "make an adult coloring book, people are making millions!"

Omg I love that Komodo dragon Dev!!! I looooooooove reptiles. We had baby komodos at the zoo I worked in and they were SO CUTE. I would go in their enclosure and they would climb all over me. So adorable! :love:

Omg I love that Komodo dragon Dev!!! I looooooooove reptiles. We had baby komodos at the zoo I worked in and they were SO CUTE. I would go in their enclosure and they would climb all over me. So adorable! :love:
blkjqcx.gif

uggh, gif didn't work, hit reply--and thank you!! :love:

Where are you located? The logo has a very Polynesian feel to it. I love island art, my sleeve is traditional tatau. I had it hand tapped in Tahiti.
Good catch! I designed it with traditional Hawaiian references in mind, to lend respect to the culture that we borrow from constantly. It's for the University of Hawaii at Hilo Marine Science Department, on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Octopus is the He'e, Hawaiian god of the ocean. There is Mauna kea and Mauna Loa drawn inside, shark teeth to signify strength, a sea turtle, a "school" of convict tang fish, lol, and waves, all within the octopus.

I found one short enough to post (most of my "short" stories are 4000+ words). It's not final yet...a couple revisions still to go. As a side note, I've also been involved in starting up a new online literary magazine with a couple friends from high school :D some of us ran a blog back then where we posted poetry.
Anyway, here's the story, currently called "Anchor"

Some mornings she would look out her window and wonder where the sky had gone. But it was only because the clouds had covered it so completely with their massive grey bodies that she felt so disconnected. She had never been a fan of winter. Summer was in her dreams and someday she would move to an island of constant sunshine, somewhere like Jamaica. She had been there once when she was fourteen. It felt much more like home than Maine. There she could float on the bright blue water until it carried her back to shore. There she could stretch out like a lizard in the sun and never feel cold again.
“Gracie! Wake up!” Her eyes were pulled from the darkness outside to the peeling paint on the edges of her locked bedroom door. She watched a flake fall as her brother shook the handle.
“I’m up, I’m up, hold your horses!” She was taking him to see the sunrise on the beach again. He was obsessed with how it changed day to day based on the state of the sky. She pulled on jeans and a sweatshirt, one of the many she owned that were imprinted with her high school’s crest. A phoenix rose from the center, flanked by a scroll, sword, paintbrush, and atom. Maybe someday a university crest would take its place.
She pulled her door open and found Kyle leaning against it from his position on the floor. He was peeling at his fingernails.
“Kyle, cut that out. Your pinky hasn’t even healed yet.” He had peeled the nail too close to the quick and it had continued to bleed in a slow, seeping way for hours. “Is Mom up already?”
“Nuh uh. I made myself breakfast. Didn’t even burn the toast!”
“Good job, bud. You ready?”
“I’ve been ready for an hour!”
“Well let’s go then. Get my keys for me, will ya?”
She ducked into the bathroom to brush her teeth and put her thick, chestnut hair in a ponytail. But on second thought she decided to leave it down. Having it up drew attention to her face, too pale and freckled without her usual makeup.
Kyle returned with her keys and an apple.
“You gotta eat something Gracie. You can’t be grumpy today.”
She stuck her tongue out at him but took the apple. It was kind of sweet, him thinking about her like that.
The door to their mother’s bedroom was shut but not locked. Gracie opened it slowly, keeping downward pressure on the handle so the top of the door wouldn’t stick to the frame. She could see some of her mom’s hair curling up from under the covers. She deserved to sleep in, though she rarely allowed herself that luxury. Work and the parenting of a wild ten-year-old and a high school dropout had finally begun to wear on her. Gracie left the note she had scribbled on the dresser next to the locket that had been her Mother’s Day gift. Inside there was a small photo of eight-year-old Gracie, holding her infant brother in her arms.
She snuck out of the room, pulled the door closed behind her, and collected Kyle from the other side of the house. He already had his coat and boots on.
#
The beach was a natural echo chamber. The gulls had awoken with the coming dawn and were calling to each other, though whether it was a morning greeting or the bickering of too many close family members, Gracie couldn’t tell. It all sounded like screaming.
To the east the clouds stretched their heavy blanket over the horizon, blurring the fiery ball of the sun that had just begun to show its face. There the grey was shot through with shades of bright pink and burnt orange, streaks that reached like spidery fingers across the sky. Gracie folded her arms around herself as the wind picked up, but she heard Kyle unzip his jacket behind her.
“What are you doing?”
“The polar bear plunge!” He had worn his swimming trunks and a rash guard under his clothes. Gracie wondered where and how the excitement for jumping in the ocean in the middle of January had formed in his elementary school brain. She silently cursed whoever had planted the idea in his head.
“Kyle, it’s way too cold to get in the water.”
“That’s the point dummy. I’ll be like a polar bear.”
“Polar bears have thick skin and lots of fat to keep them warm.”
“It’ll only be for a minute.” He ran off towards the water before she could really put her foot down on the issue. She chased him, but he was quicker on the rocks and they were too close to the water for her to catch up before he ran in. Gracie kicked off her shoes and toed a few inches of icy ocean before jumping back. He was still going, swimming through the waves now. She had felt the current’s pull even with the water only covering half her foot.
“Kyle! Come back, the current’s too strong!”
He either didn’t hear her or chose to ignore her. Either way he did not answer. They were both strong swimmers, had spent their lives five minutes from the ocean. She had been a lifeguard one summer before she was fired for dozing off, even though her section of the beach had been deserted.
Gracie watched his head dip under as each wave came over him, her heart pounding against her lungs. He was turning around to come back when three waves hit in quick succession, keeping him under for too long. It felt like hours, a full day as she stripped off her coat and ran towards the place where she had last seen his curl-covered head.
She thought she heard a choked scream but it could have been the gulls. Now that she was in the water, she couldn’t see whether Kyle had come up yet. She couldn’t see anything but water, freezing water that forced a chill straight through her skin and into her bones.
Her throat was torn by the saltwater she swallowed while she screamed his name. Now the current had her and she couldn’t tell whether it was bringing her closer to him or further away. The numbness in her fingers and toes was spreading to her wrists and ankles.
She felt she had been struggling against the waves for days. Her body was sluggish, only kept afloat by the ice in her veins. She imagined letting go of the chain that anchored her to existence. The feeling of her lungs filling with water, the burning inside making her forget the cold all around. The warped sound of her voice, trapped in the last bubbles of air that floated from her throat. She felt her muscles cramp and give out, her body no longer under her control. And finally something like sweet relief, as she gave in to the ocean’s insistent pull and floated out to sea.
This was really intense, you write well!

My dad is convinced that I will start making millions once I step off the graduation stage from vet school. Also my current boss where I work as a waitress is also convinced that I'll be quite rich in just a few short years, lol. He is so positive and encouraging that I can't correct him. I give up.

I made a design for my graduate cohort a few years ago that was popular. It was a rabbit with PPE. A couple years ago I expanded the idea and made this but I've never put it to use (I plan to "gift" the design to an academic club in the future for fundraising things, maybe).

Attachments

• Heads High Contrast.png
    Heads High Contrast.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 105
Opening of the novel I've been working on for about a year. I used it for a "page of suspense" contest in one of my writing classes.

I felt nothing the moment Sebastian disappeared. No physical jolt that shocked me awake, no mental twinge that told me something was wrong. Either twin telepathy was bull****, or mine was broken. Maybe it only worked for identical twins.

Sebastian was in his room when I went to sleep, I was sure of that. Our rooms were connected by the bathroom, and when I rolled over to turn off my lamp, I could see the light from his still shining under my door; he was probably reading. The sheets rustled as he shifted to find a comfortable position, and he coughed. I know I heard him cough.

But I felt it when my alarm pulled me from sleep, that building dread that would become my constant companion. I stared into the early morning darkness, breathing in and out. I told myself I was just gathering the energy to get out of bed. It was perfectly normal for a high school senior to resist the necessity of getting up in the morning. But this didn’t feel like the usual relaxed delay. It felt more like gathering courage. I didn’t know why, not at first. The feeling was there, but it wasn’t connected to anything concrete, to any real thought that something was wrong.

For the moment the need to pee overwhelmed what I took to be paranoia left over by a bad dream. The wooden floors creaked as I moved towards the bathroom and put my ear on the door. I knocked once, twice, three times. Nothing. When I opened the door, I saw that the one on Sebastian’s side of the bathroom was open, and as I moved to close it I was stopped by the icy tile, and the return of that bad feeling. Sebastian was always awake before me, but that morning his room was still dark. I could only see the vague shapes of his piled blankets. I hadn’t put in my contacts yet.

“Sebastian? Are you ok?” I whispered into the darkness. My cold feet carried me through the doorway.

The blankets didn’t move. I felt my stomach tighten. I was suddenly very aware of my own breathing, the only sound in the room. And all at once I knew he wasn’t there. I had stopped at the window that was just a foot outside of the bathroom. I started to back out of the room, not wanting to approach his bed and confirm that he was not in it. That thought was ridiculous though - he was probably just downstairs eating breakfast.

Or had gone out to walk the dogs.

Or any number of other possibilities that were perfectly normal and didn’t explain why it was so cold in his room.

Didn’t explain why the window was open in the middle of January.

Acrylic just dries too dang fast!! lol. With oil, it's so much easier to work with. And charcoal is so messy! Gets absolutely everywhere!

Yeah!!!!!! Charcoal can go die in a fire.............oh wait. It already did xD

I can draw stick figures......
I have said it before, but my drawing is quite impressive. During parastit we had to draw representative eggs and worms, and every single one of mine resembles mangled broccoli. Good stuff. Cartoons were always my jam. I miss camera and lighting. Guess WW write-ups will be my only creative outlet for a long time to come.

Animal ones??

My uncle during our drive:

"Actually, the number one selling coloring book title in the country is 'Puppies and Kittens.' We have ducks and ****, but they only show up during Easter."

My uncle during our drive:

"Actually, the number one selling coloring book title in the country is 'Puppies and Kittens.' We have ducks and ****, but they only show up during Easter."

That is hilarious.

I came across an article one time that talked about a course at some university somewhere that integrated biology and drawing. Essentially the idea behind it was that when you have to draw something very accurately, you tend to notice more details about and thus learn more about your subject matter. It talked about how the biologists of old didn't have cameras, and thus being a good artist was quite useful for recording the appearance of specimens. Let me see if I can track it down...

Edit: found it! http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/symbiartic/rediscovering-the-forgotten-benefits-of-drawing/

That is hilarious.

I came across an article one time that talked about a course at some university somewhere that integrated biology and drawing. Essentially the idea behind it was that when you have to draw something very accurately, you tend to notice more details about and thus learn more about your subject matter. It talked about how the biologists of old didn't have cameras, and thus being a good artist was quite useful for recording the appearance of specimens. Let me see if I can track it down...

Edit: found it! http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/symbiartic/rediscovering-the-forgotten-benefits-of-drawing/

This was essentially how my Insect Morphology class was structured. Every week we'd have two specimens we'd have to study under a stereo microscope and then draw various illustrations (dorsal, ventral, lateral view etc.) and label.