1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Vet into Vet school

Discussion in 'Saint George's University (Sponsored Forum)' started by Vetgal11, Jan 2, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Vetgal11

Vetgal11

SDN 2+ Year Member
    If one could get into a prevet program that automatically grants you into Vet school and there is no GRE required wouldn't everybody be doing this?
  2. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    for SGU you have to maintain a certain GPA in pre-vet and then pass a qualifying exam at the end of the pre-vet program
  3. toomuch2

toomuch2

Veterinary Student
    Really? No GRE?
  4. SnowyRox

SnowyRox Pennwe c/o 2016

SGU is not the first choice school for many pre-vets so they don't want to be in a program that guarantees their attendance there.

It sounds like an interesting program for students who would prefer to attend SGU and like the accelerated track.
  5. bayarea15

bayarea15 someday super vet

Pre-Veterinary
    No gre? What?

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile
  6. lostbunny

lostbunny

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Alot of non-American schools don't require a GRE- OVC requires the MCAT, and none of the AVMA Australian vet schools require a GRE either. But none of those have a guaranteed vet school entry.
  7. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    no GRE, but you do take an entrance test coming out of either pre-vet or foundations that you need to pass with a certain grade to go on to the DVM program (as far as I know it's not usually a problem for the vet side)
  8. bayarea15

Pre-Veterinary
    There is a guaranteed admissions? I have only researched Davis and Western really.

9. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    no, as i stated above, you take an entrance exam which requires a certain score (and you're only going to qualify to take the exam if you keep a certain GPA 3.0? 3.5? not quite sure). so it's not a guarantee program. more like a way around the app/interview/GRE-but pre-vet and foundations are rigorous programs. they know exactly what they want to do to prep you for the DVM program
  10. hopefulinva

hopefulinva VMRCVM DVM/MPH c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not to mention there are numerous reasons why US students may not want to apply to SGU. It's a bit far for my taste and it's very important for my fiance to stay close to his family, so we opted to stick to American schools. Plus the cost/hassle of moving down there wasn't worth it to me. =)
  11. bayarea15

Pre-Veterinary
    Yea if I was single and didn't have responsibility, maybe I would move there, but as it is I wouldn't. Just surprised.