Pre Vet or Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Digitalangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been debating this question with myself for a while now to the point where its really driving me crazy. I'm a junior pursuing my degree in Biology and have been pretty set on applying for vet school the last year or so. I have worked at a vet clinic for the last 6 months and have certainly learned a lot. I love working with animals and know I could be happy doing this as a career, I dont think I have had a day where I was dreading going to work (compared to my old jobs). The thing is as I am getting closer and closer to graduating I have been looking up how difficult it is getting into certain schools, requirements I need, how much schools cost and how much debt I will be looking at in the future. I feel really set back on going to vet school mainly due to the fact that I know after graduating vet school and for years afterwards veterinarians generally will make lower than other professions that pretty much require the same amount of schooling. I know I should focus on what will make me happy in the future, instead of the salary I will have, but lets be real...having an additional 10 years of debt, ect. can certainly have an impact on happiness. I have been trying to narrow down my interests to see what it is I really want to do...such as trying to figure out if I HAVE to work with animals in order to be happy, or could I be just as happy practicing medicine in general? Is it the animals I want to help or is it the strategy and things such as surgery that I really want to do?

Im aware this is just one of those things in life you need to figure out on your own but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? Is going to vet school and certainly being stuck in more debt worth it over going to dental school where I could still enjoy the science aspect and perform surgeries, and most likely be more financially secure? The first week I worked in the animal clinic I met two substitute doctors who told me to run and get into human medicine, this just shows me how unhappy veterinarians are with their salaries when they studied just as hard as dental and med students. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Have you shadowed a dentist or a human doctor? That's probably a good place to start.

It's really hard to tell you what to do without knowing your financial situation, but if you don't have 200k sitting around (or aren't able to get in-state consideration at somewhere like NCSU), and would truly enjoy another field, I'd tell you to head for the other field.

I haven't shadowed a dentist yet but i am certainly considering doing it soon, i help do dentals on animals at work all the time and find it pretty interesting. As for the financial situation goes i guess my family is pretty well off but they wouldn't have enough to lend me 200k haha :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What state were you shadowing in that vets were telling you to run out of curiosity?

Here's one consideration as far as money goes, being a vet requires you to carry less expensive insurance, just sayin.

In Florida, the first time it happened i figured it was just his personal experience, but then it happened by another vet when i asked her opinion, and i have even heard it from a tech who was a veterinarian in Argentina but was never licensed here. its just so depressing that i feel i should explore other options :(

Here's one consideration as far as money goes, being a vet requires you to carry less expensive insurance, just sayin.

I'm pretty sure those are included in the compensation/benefits package for most MDs (and I would assume DMDs too) and don't come out of take-home pay. Same is true for DVMs for the most part.

So while the cost of malpractice insurance does play a huge role in how medicine is practiced in both veterinary/medical fields and the differences between them, I don't think it's really an argument for personal finance. Regardless of how expensive the malpractice insurance is, MDs do generally make more than DVMs. Don't know enough about salary info for DMDs to really comment on that though. The landscape of the dental profession is more similar to vet med though for sure (small 1-2 doctor practices are common, and dental insurance sucks so payment is more likely to come out of disposable income, etc...).

DDM... right? Or am I crazy?

Here's a question to help you decide: do people's mouths make you want to projectile vomit?

That's what ruled out dentistry for me.

Good luck.

DDM... right? Or am I crazy?

Here's a question to help you decide: do people's mouths make you want to projectile vomit?

That's what ruled out dentistry for me.

Good luck.

One of my summer roommates a few years ago was in her final year of dental school. I actually asked her this question and she was like, "no, I think they're pretty darn cool!" :scared: THE HORROR!

Im aware this is just one of those things in life you need to figure out on your own but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? Is going to vet school and certainly being stuck in more debt worth it over going to dental school where I could still enjoy the science aspect and perform surgeries, and most likely be more financially secure? The first week I worked in the animal clinic I met two substitute doctors who told me to run and get into human medicine, this just shows me how unhappy veterinarians are with their salaries when they studied just as hard as dental and med students. :(

My advice is to sit back and reflect on your own values/goals and then look at the different fields and decide which one best fits with those values. If a certain income-based lifestyle is important, be honest with yourself and say so, and then consider that. If prestige is important, consider that. If you value working with animals more than people, consider that. Do you want diverse tasks, or specific expertise? Shorter working weeks or daytime-only? Etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to sit back and reflect on your own values/goals and then look at the different fields and decide which one best fits with those values. If a certain income-based lifestyle is important, be honest with yourself and say so, and then consider that. If prestige is important, consider that. If you value working with animals more than people, consider that. Do you want diverse tasks, or specific expertise? Shorter working weeks or daytime-only? Etc.

:thumbup: I agree with this completely.

On a less well spoken note, I look at it like this: If you could be just as happy doing something else and making more money, do that. Vet medicine (for me at least) is a labor of love and I have no expectations of financial security from my choice. But... I wouldn't be even a fraction as happy doing anything else and money/financial security isn't on the top of my requirements list. At the end of the day, it sure is a lot of work (and a ridiculous amount of money!) if your heart isn't in it 100%.

Hey guys I have been debating this question with myself for a while now to the point where its really driving me crazy. I'm a junior pursuing my degree in Biology and have been pretty set on applying for vet school the last year or so. I have worked at a vet clinic for the last 6 months and have certainly learned a lot. I love working with animals and know I could be happy doing this as a career, I dont think I have had a day where I was dreading going to work (compared to my old jobs). The thing is as I am getting closer and closer to graduating I have been looking up how difficult it is getting into certain schools, requirements I need, how much schools cost and how much debt I will be looking at in the future. I feel really set back on going to vet school mainly due to the fact that I know after graduating vet school and for years afterwards veterinarians generally will make lower than other professions that pretty much require the same amount of schooling. I know I should focus on what will make me happy in the future, instead of the salary I will have, but lets be real...having an additional 10 years of debt, ect. can certainly have an impact on happiness. I have been trying to narrow down my interests to see what it is I really want to do...such as trying to figure out if I HAVE to work with animals in order to be happy, or could I be just as happy practicing medicine in general? Is it the animals I want to help or is it the strategy and things such as surgery that I really want to do?

Kill two birds with one stone and specialize in veterinary dentistry ;)

:thumbup: I agree with this completely.

On a less well spoken note, I look at it like this: If you could be just as happy doing something else and making more money, do that. Vet medicine (for me at least) is a labor of love and I have no expectations of financial security from my choice. But... I wouldn't be even a fraction as happy doing anything else and money/financial security isn't on the top of my requirements list. At the end of the day, it sure is a lot of work (and a ridiculous amount of money!) if your heart isn't in it 100%.

thank you guys, i think im going to make a big list of what i value most and go from there. any extra advice would be appreciated :D

Other than writing two standardized tests (GRE and DAT) why not apply for both and see where it takes you? You can't make a decision without both decisions being available to make.

If you are passionate for both apply to both. Don't limit yourself too early in the game. Good luck!

Other than writing two standardized tests (GRE and DAT) why not apply for both and see where it takes you? You can't make a decision without both decisions being available to make.

If you are passionate for both apply to both. Don't limit yourself too early in the game. Good luck!

I have considered this, but i figured it would make sense to choose and stick to one? that way i could focus all my additional time into shadowing for that field and therefore possibly increase my chances towards that one.

I understand your line of thinking. However, if I were you I'd fear to put all my eggs in one basket and either not be accepted or finding out that your heart would have been happier with the latter option. This is just 100% my opinion so take it as you will.

I understand your line of thinking. However, if I were you I'd fear to put all my eggs in one basket and either not be accepted or finding out that your heart would have been happier with the latter option. This is just 100% my opinion so take it as you will.

I think you're right, I was talking to my moms cousin today at a Christmas party who is a veterinarian and she told me the same thing. When i brought up DAT and GRE, she was just like why not do both? She understood my perspective from the financial side and wanting to be happy side and was all about trying both and seeing what I like most. she even said some interesting things such as going to dental school, and using the extra money i make to do something like opening a shelter and helping animals. Either way i know its a choice only i can make for myself. Right now i think im leaning towards vet because i know its something i could wake up to everyday and be happy. although i am still going to volunteer at a dental clinic because i feel that i cant really make a decision on that side until i experience it, and that way i wont be putting all my eggs in one basket :D

Hey Digitalangle, I have an interesting perspective on your specific issue.....PM if you are interested!!