Pre-Vet (or vet student) Questionaire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I thought it'd be fun to do a little Q and A of our members to let us get to know everyone's perspective of vet med a little more. Feel free to answer any or all questions. If you have a suggestion you'd like me to add, post it and I'll edit this post :D

1) (Try to answer without repeating someone else's answer) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be?

2) If you needed to pick a specialty, what would it be?

3) What has been your favorite/most interesting case you've seen (be as vague as possible)?

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you (ie, convenience euthanasias, declaws, etc.)?

5) What is the biggest problem you think faces vet med today (can be related to 1, but doesn't have to be)?

6) What attracts you to vet med?

7) If you could be any animal, what would you be?

8) If you are applying soon or have recently applied to vet school, what is one thing you would change about your application if given the chance?

Have fun!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

1) (Try to answer without repeating someone else's answer) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be?
I wish treatments were not regulated by a clients economic situation. I know it would never happen, but to be able to give any animal any care is deserves without worrying if it is affordable would be amazing.

Equine soft tissue injury/rehabilitation

3) What has been your favorite/most interesting case you've seen (be as vague as possible)?
There was once a foal who had caught its hind legs in barbed wire and the wounds developed an incredible amount of proud flesh. It had not been well cared for and the wounds were huge and crusty and the poor thing could barely walk. (Put both your fists together. That is how large the wound/proud flesh there was on each leg in front of the hock.) It came to our facility and it was given a huge amount of time and care. It also recieved regular hyperbaric oxygen chamber treatments. Several months later the foal has healed so well you can hardly even notice the scars. It looks like it would have been no more than a scratch. Incredibly rewarding to have been a part of that.

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you. Refusing to treat a client that can not pay or has a history of not paying.

5) What is the biggest problem you think faces vet med today (can be related to 1, but doesn't have to be)?
Many people can not afford to give their animals proper care or do not value the animal enough to spend money on even basic care.

My passion for animal welfare, science, problem solving and discovery.

A wolverine. Because they are boss.

I wish that people would be more understanding of the responsibility they take on the care of an animal. It's so frustrating to see people who spend $1500 on a puppy and have this idea that they're like goldfish, and that all you have to do is put some food down once in a while and they'll be fine.

2) If you needed to pick a specialty, what would it be? Palliative care or rehabilitation and physical therapy. If I could combine the two, that would be wicked.

3) What has been your favorite/most interesting case you've seen (be as vague as possible)? Toxic epidermal necrolysis. Wicked cool to see and learn about, super super super sad for the poor dog. :(

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you (ie, convenience euthanasias, declaws, etc.)? Convenience euthanasias, without a doubt.

5) What is the biggest problem you think faces vet med today (can be related to 1, but doesn't have to be)? Job-related stress. Veterinarians have a huge level of all sorts of stress--job related (clients and their finances, treatment limitations), finance related, family related (often created by the job related stress)... the list goes on. It's a serious problem. An Australian (I believe) study said vets had a 4x suicide rate when compared with the general population. That's a very serious problem.

6) What attracts you to vet med? I love people (really!) and I love animals. Is there a better profession to work with both? :)

A tiger, because it's a tiger :cool: Plus I always wanted a tiger ever since I watched Aladdin (what little girl didn't) so that's the next best thing :p

Members don't see this ad :)
More readily available education to owners on preventive medicine (and owners that are willing to be educated).

Equine orthopedics and sports medicine.

A dog with a compacted intestine after gorging itself on grass clippings.

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you (ie, convenience euthanasias, declaws, etc.)?
I hate discussing money, so probably proposing an expensive treatment especially if the client doesn't have the means to afford it.

Owner compliance, whether the compliance is due to financial, time, ignorance, stubbornness, or anything in between.

I really have a soft spot in particular for the athletic equine and I am really passionate about their welfare.

I think I would really love to be a Golden Eagle

Figure I'd answer my own survey...

Lack of client education. Fo' sho'. People don't understand why their cat needs yearly checkups and that an eye surgery for their dog, while it costs a lot, costs a lot LESS than the same exact surgery performed by an MD/DO.

Right now, behavior medicine.

Old shelter dog with cancer and dental dz. Nothing super unique about the case, but it really impacted the way I view euthanasia, especially in a shelter setting.

Convenience euthanasia, definitely. This is a big reason I'm shying away from GP (specialties, I think, are less likely to come into contact with this).

Definite toss up between lack of FA vets and debt vs. starting salary for new vet school graduates.

The puzzle aspect, combines science, people, and animals in a neat little ball, opportunity for lifelong learning (through CE, specialty, etc.). SO MANY THINGS!

Can I be my dog? Lol, ummmm...probably a dolphin. Who doesn't like dolphins :D

8) If you are applying soon or have recently applied to vet school, what is one thing you would change about your application if given the chance?
A few blemishes on my academic record due to illness my freshman year, that led to more complications that are seen later in my schooling.

The puzzle aspect, combines science, people, and animals in a neat little ball, opportunity for lifelong learning (through CE, specialty, etc.). SO MANY THINGS!

yes yes yes and yes. :thumbup:

1) (Try to answer without repeating someone else's answer) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be? I would find a way to make pet insurance a more feasible and common option. I feel like one reason we are paid so poorly as a profession is because people have to pay out of pocket and so they will often go with the cheaper options or opt out of treatment altogether. It's a lot different, when, like a human with health insurance, they just have to pay a copay for an office visit or a deductible for a hospital stay and insurance covers the rest. I think that vets wouldn't be so underpaid and overworked if there was some sort of stable and convenient insurance program enacted.

2) If you needed to pick a specialty, what would it be? Anything with horses. If I had to pick within that it would probably be equine ambulatory or sports medicine.

3) What has been your favorite/most interesting case you've seen (be as vague as possible)? Definitely the equine enucleation I participated in last summer. This horse had a pretty gnarly eye (the people had rescued him that way) and my vet kept telling them it should come out. Once they finally agreed, the whole eye was necrotic and disgusting. When the vet picked me up that day to ride around with him he was like "alrighty, first thing we have to do is stop at the clinic and take out this horse's eye." I was like ohhhhhh boy. I totally wasn't sure I could handle it. Well we knocked the horse out, laid him down, and the vet went to work. He had me keep tension on the hemostats while he did his thing and also had me wipe the blood away from the site every now and then. It was the. coolest. thing. ever. Once he was finished and I got the horse on his feet and cleaned up and everything, he looked SO much better. That eye had been causing him so much suffering and he was finally free of it. The vet got a phone call at the end of the summer saying the horse was back 100% and had won some ribbons at some shows during the summer. To know 1.) that I could handle something outside my comfort zone and 2.) that I helped make a huge difference in that horse's quality of life was amazing.

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you (ie, convenience euthanasias, declaws, etc.)? Probably figuring out what to do with cases where the owners have limited/no ability to pay.

5) What is the biggest problem you think faces vet med today (can be related to 1, but doesn't have to be)? I definitely think that student loan debt is a huge issue. I think that the huge burden it places on vet students is going to keep some extremely bright and well-qualified individuals out of vet school, and it prevents a lot of vets from operating at their fullest. I think it has a huge impact on the quality of veterinary medicine as a whole.

6) What attracts you to vet med? Oh boy, what DOESN'T attract me to vet med? I love being able to share my knowledge and mentor people, I love to help people, I love animals, I love science, I love learning, I love being challenged, I love how animals are such an integral part of our society and of our lives and how improving the lives of animals improves the overall condition of humankind. It just captivates me.

7) If you could be any animal, what would you be? Probably a horse, just because I've devoted such a significant portion of my life to them and I'd love to know what it's like from the other side. In all honesty though, an animal's life is so uncertain and so many things can go wrong that are out of the animal's control that I really WOULDN'T like to be an animal.

8) If you are applying soon or have recently applied to vet school, what is one thing you would change about your application if given the chance? Um...well, I got in, so at this point I really wouldn't change anything because I'm happy with the results. But before I knew I was accepted, I would have more closely researched some of the things I wrote in my supplemental. I think in one of my answers I made it sound like I was trying to talk about something I didn't know about, and I stressed over it FOR.EVER. Also, I might have done a little more to find out what my eLORs said, just because I'm me and I worry about everything. But apparently it all worked out so it's good!

1) (Try to answer without repeating someone else's answer) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be? I would find a way to make pet insurance a more feasible and common option. I feel like one reason we are paid so poorly as a profession is because people have to pay out of pocket and so they will often go with the cheaper options or opt out of treatment altogether. It's a lot different, when, like a human with health insurance, they just have to pay a copay for an office visit or a deductible for a hospital stay and insurance covers the rest. I think that vets wouldn't be so underpaid and overworked if there was some sort of stable and convenient insurance program enacted.

I totally agree Elli! I think also the insurance that is available needs to be easier for clients to use as well. The clinic I worked at many of our clients that did have insurance would not submit claims for routine office visits because it was such a hasal for them. They kept the insurance in case anything major occurred.

3) What has been your favorite/most interesting case you've seen (be as vague as possible)? Definitely the equine enucleation I participated in last summer. This horse had a pretty gnarly eye (the people had rescued him that way) and my vet kept telling them it should come out. Once they finally agreed, the whole eye was necrotic and disgusting. When the vet picked me up that day to ride around with him he was like "alrighty, first thing we have to do is stop at the clinic and take out this horse's eye." I was like ohhhhhh boy. I totally wasn't sure I could handle it. Well we knocked the horse out, laid him down, and the vet went to work. He had me keep tension on the hemostats while he did his thing and also had me wipe the blood away from the site every now and then. It was the. coolest. thing. ever. Once he was finished and I got the horse on his feet and cleaned up and everything, he looked SO much better. That eye had been causing him so much suffering and he was finally free of it. The vet got a phone call at the end of the summer saying the horse was back 100% and had won some ribbons at some shows during the summer. To know 1.) that I could handle something outside my comfort zone and 2.) that I helped make a huge difference in that horse's quality of life was amazing.

Jealous.

I kinda wish the general public would have a better idea of what veterinarians have to do to get their degree. Like, how good their grades need to be, what sort of experiences they are expected to have, and how much they have to learn in four short years. AND, how much debt they gather in the process. The profession deserves more respect than it sometimes gets, I think.

Anatomical/clinical pathology, with/without a PhD (dunno yet for certain). I'd also look into microbiology research or something to do with laboratory diagnostics... I'm pretty excited about the possibility to experience more of this stuff first hand and see how I feel about it!

Well, the clinic I worked for wasn't really high-volume and didn't see emergencies much, so I think I missed out on some of the more unique diseases. Honestly, it meant a lot to me to take some aspirate slides made at the clinic to the lab where I used to work, stain them myself, and then sit down with the pathologist to read them... it was really neat to see it from start to finish, since it was a dog we had been seeing for years. It was lymphoma, and it was sad, but it helped tie everything together in my head (and made me even more excited about path in general).

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you?
This is a tough one. I don't really have intentions of working at a private practice, which relieves me from having to deal with a lot of the ethical issues personally, but I would still have to deal with them in some way I'm sure. I think that suspecting animal abuse would be the worst for me. I think that vets are mostly powerless unless they can somehow come up with solid evidence... which would be difficult.

The thing I hated the most about working at the clinic was answering the phone... and having it be someone asking about a price for something important like a timely euthanasia or a surgery (or once, good lord, about a dog with a badly broken leg) and then they hear the price and get angry about it... yell for a bit... then hang up. People who think $80 is too much for a peaceful euthanasia of their large dog... I dunno. So many people think that vets charge too much. But... they don't.

Oh, it has to be the science. Obviously, like everyone here, I feel a very strong passion towards animals. Unlike many here, though, I'm not as interested in the things that others find so satisfying - happy pets with happy owners, saved lives, C-sectioned puppies coming to life after some vigorous attention... gratifying, sure, but what I want is SCIENCE. I want to make a diagnosis based on extensive, specific knowledge. I want to help YOU (the private practice vet) have that happy moment where you finally can tell the owner exactly what's wrong with Fido (and how it can be fixed). I want to be an expert at something (or a little bit of an expert at everything, as some would describe it ;)).

Oh, I have always loved tigers. Did you guys know that from about the 5th grade up through my senior year of high school, I wanted to be a zoo veterinarian... but only treat the big cats? Haha. Not only have I realized just how hard it would be to get a job like that, I've realized that I don't really want to do that anyway. But it was a cool idea. However, I'm fairly happy being a human, even if we do suck sometimes. :)

Probably the only thing I can't change easily - my GPA. Damnit, I have so many credit hours that, really, I just can't make up for being stupid in the past. Give me a time machine, or accept that I'm trying to make up for it (and now have my head on straight).

Last edited:
^^^damnit I guess I repeat that #1 except shorter because :words:

I guess it's not really about veterinary medicine, but I'd want the average person to be more aware of the nature and length and cost of our training.

Out of those that currently exist? Probably something under the IM umbrella, neuro/onco/the like. Or perhaps repro. But I still plan on doing genetics research & teaching.

There's an ongoing repro case that I'm still involved with, that I find to be very fascinating. Queen has normal pregnancies up until term, and then loses them. Cultured negative for any bacteria, kittens appeared to be normally formed, just...die. She doesn't go into labor and they die. Even when we did a C section and they came out vaguely alive, they died shortly thereafter. She is due to queen again soon and I am very interested in keeping up with it. She has had one very successful litter and one moderately successful, out of at least 5 pregnancies I am aware of.

Well, the biggest I'll have to internally grapple with probably relates to drawing the line for research animals or discussing breeding and genetics with breeders that I don't feel are doing things right. The whole breeding "thing" will be the one that I'll probably have to deal with the most as far as ethical discussions with OTHERS, though.

Animal rights activism and the associated legislature.

When you think about it, all of these domestic animal lines are huge ass genetics experiments and that just freaking owns.

A purple cat.

I would write about wanting to be a purple cat.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, the biggest I'll have to internally grapple with probably relates to drawing the line for research animals or discussing breeding and genetics with breeders that I don't feel are doing things right. The whole breeding "thing" will be the one that I'll probably have to deal with the most as far as ethical discussions with OTHERS, though.

Would you elaborate on this? I am intrigued.

Purple+Cat+2.jpg

ZOMG YOU ARE ADORABLE

Would you elaborate on this? I am intrigued.

Well, it's just that people both within the field and outside of it usually tend to have very strong opinions and feelings one way or the other about breeding and overpopulation and what is or isn't responsible and such, so it always leads to a pretty lengthy discussion. There's another thread to discuss that in but most issues were kinda already brought up there. ;)

Nyanko, I know that deep down inside you really want to work with horses. :D

money

Large animal emergency/critical care

I refuse to choose, as there are so many fascinating cases I have been involved in, but here are a few that stick out in my mind:
- foal born without stifle joints - alternated between ambulatory and recumbent, NSF on rads, seemed like a dummy foal at first, got bigger and declined and dx made in necropsy
- horse presented for skin grafts on now-granulated severe degloving injury (about 6" of dorsal cannon bone exposed), owners had been giving NSAID's for several months since original injuries, horse bled for almost a week and required multiple blood transfusions due to effect of NSAID's on platelet function
- severe pneumonia in adult horse, lung abscess drained, then anesthetized and drained ~ 4L pus from mediastinal abscess that was a couple inches from the heart
- extra-pyramidal syndrome from depot shot of fluphenazine in young racehorse in training
- yearling with botulism that was recumbent and dysphagic but made a complete recovery
- basically any critical care type case - the more fluid pumps outside the stall, the more interesting the case probably is ;)

knowing when to call it quits with the critical cases

Lack of perceived value by the public - both in the sense of people not wanting to pay more for quality care and in the sense of people not caring about funding for important things like food safety and public health vets

challenge of interesting cases, satisfaction of making a difference, working with my hands doing tangible things, interacting with a variety of horses/horse people, greater career flexibility than human med

One of my friend's horses. They live the life of Riley: part of a stable herd of 20 horses on 70 acres of fields, woods, and streams, daily meal service, fun job (lower level eventing), full health care plan, no predators, etc.

Does going back in time to fix a year of bad grades count?

I would disallow low cost clinics and shelters running low cost programs to steal clients from and essentially run out of business current veterinary practices by both limiting what they can do to spays, neuters, and vaccinations and limiting their clientele to the truly needy. The multitude of stories on VIN revolving around this terrifies me.

At this point, I think it would be radiology, and I never saw that coming before this block lol.

My favorite case is still a lovely, friendly, happy, mostly well-mannered dog I worked with in the VMTH last month. He had a very fixable problem, but it would very likely be a life-long behavioral issue that would continue to come up again and his owners were already running out of money. According to the daytime staff, the owners planned to euthanize him in the morning after my shift ended because they couldn't afford to keep treating, so I spent a lot of time just sitting with him and loving on him in between our hourly treatments. He was beautifully sweet. I still haven't gotten up the courage to ask what actually happened to him after I left.

Specifically regarding the medicine side of things, I think I will struggle most with good clients who have a pet with a fixable problem, but who cannot afford to treat and are unwilling to put the pet up for adoption. This is especially true now that a lot of clinics can't afford to lose clients, particularly when you're sure they'll just have it done at the clinic down the street.

Regarding the business side of things, I keep reading stories from new graduates who struggle with winding up in new grad mills for their first jobs, having horrific and inappropriate things happen under the watch of a boss they trusted to hold the same views about veterinary medicine that they do, and not being able to leave the job due to financial issues, lack of other jobs, etc., and playing an aiding and abetting role because they need to pay the bills. Scary stuff.

I think our biggest problem is that we are devaluing our career from the inside while expecting the public to value it greatly. This goes back to the low cost clinics that suddenly start offering other exams and procedures at incredibly reduced rates and offering them to everyone, as opposed to the truly needy. What a lovely way to say that the medicine we practice isn't worth what normal clinics charge when many clinics undercharge as it is. I think we need to become more unified, stop bottom-feeding under the guise of a nonprofit organization to get clients, and, under the unified front, bring up the value of what we offer to the community back to where it should be.

I enjoy the detective work in it. We have only so much information on our patients, some of which is false, some of which will lead us to the source of the patients' problems, and some of which is entirely unrelated. It's our job to separate the puzzle pieces, fit the right pieces together, and realize that we may have multiple different puzzles in the same box. I think it is endlessly fascinating.

Bottlenose dolphins seem to have a lot of fun. I could dig it.

Not applicable anymore, thank God LOL.

Last edited:

Peoples' attitude about pets in general. I'm so sick of people owning or breeding animals that they cannot afford to treat or keep, or not thinking it's a big deal when their pet is obviously suffering. Also, there are quite a few incompetent vets out there. I don't know if it's because of lack of regulation or lack of education. They don't need to be as strictly regulated as MDs, but hey... change your gloves between surgery and give appropriate pain medication please.

Shelter medicine, soft tissue surgery... would exotics count as a specialty? I'd love to work with rodents. There aren't very many vets around here who will see them.

I only have about 400 hours of experience. The coolest thing I have seen was probably a bladder stone removal surgery... or the time when the kitty in severe kidney failure (which the vet couldn't pin the cause of) made a 100% recovery in a week when placed on fluids. That made me happy.

I would be heartbroken if I had to do declaws or ear crops, that sort of thing. I think I would also have difficulties pushing expensive treatments on to people who cannot afford it.

In my area, lack of spay/neuter clinics for strays, ferals and people who cannot afford it.

I like the work environment and the pace of a small animal clinic. I am also really amazed at how and why X disease does X, Y and Z in the body. I also like doing tedious little things with my hands like surgery/vaccinations/blood draws, etc. I also would love to be able to do some work with shelters and help advocate spay/neuter.

Bald eagle! Nothing will eat me and I can flyyyyy!

Only one thing? Awww.
Um... being able to apply to more than one school and having the financial aid to do so OR a better selection process for my provincial school (no personal statement, no references, whether or not you get an interview is based only on your grades and not your experiences... what's up with that?)

I know many of us have interviewed already, but I got asked a couple of these questions during my interview. It's good to keep in mind!

Yeah, I'm totally gonna repeat someone's answer here - I think clients don't have a realistic idea of how much things "should" cost (partially because of those devaluing "low-cost" clinics others have mentioned). What I dealt with a lot as a receptionist was "it costs less for me to go the doctor!!" Uh, reality check, it wouldn't if you didn't have insurance...

Behavior or orthopedic surgery and the rehabilitation that follows.

Um, I can't pick!

Convenience euthanasia. One of my interviewers made an amazing point - yes, you can say you won't euthanize a healthy animal with no problems (none of the clinics I've worked in would do that, and I don't plan to either - if you just don't want the dog, take it to a shelter) but where do you draw the line? An animal with diabetes or kidney issues whose owners can't afford/don't want to deal with giving medication? Behavior issues? (And which ones?) It's not all black and white - not that I ever thought it was, but saying "I won't do convenience euthanasia" can occasionally be too simplistic. I guess I'll just have to take it case by case...

The business side. Educating the public to see that what we are doing has value - we're not overcharging you here, folks!
Also educating the public about "animal rights" - it's not what it sounds like, and it's not a good thing if you're a pet owner!

I like animals of course, I like the puzzle/diagnostic aspect, I like seeing something that I've worked on get better/have a better quality of life, and I also like the people aspect - both educating them about why this is all important, and also taking care of someone's beloved pet. There are always gonna be people that make you want to tear your hair out, but what we do really matters to many of our clients.

Either something that could fly, or somebody's pampered pet dog.

Well, I got in to my IS, so I'm happy, but if I hadn't gotten in I would definitely have applied to a wider pool of schools the next time. Putting all your eggs in one or two baskets can work out, but it makes for a very nerve-wracking few months.

Better pay for academic positions. Shorter hours. I want to work 40 hours/week and bring home a fat paycheck without working for Big Pharma ;)

Really interested in clinical pathology right now.

Shadowing a pathologist at the state lab, I got to see necropsies on two calves, two calf fetuses, and a mare. It was fascinating! I could see all the abnormal things in the calves (consolidated lung, inflamed intestine) that were a result of the illness.

If I worked in practice probably convenience euthanasia. I really hate declaws, too, but at least the animal gets to live and have a home.

People who don't vaccinate also really, really bug me (applies to humans, too)!

The economy is in the ****ter and that sucks for everyone. Especially people graduating with >100k in debt.

The biology. I can't think of anything better than thinking about biology alll. day. long.

A PEGASUS!

I would go back in time to the start of spring semester sophomore year, grab and shake my past self, and yell GO STUDY FOR O-CHEM! NOW!

1) (Try to answer without repeating someone else's answer) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be? Owner compliance. "Sorry Buddy ripped open his leg sutures and broke his plate, but he is a 9 mo old puppy and I just can't keep him confined! Obviously this is your mistake, so I don't expect to pay for a basically whole new surgery"

Behavior

Sorry, can't name just one: horse with rabies; assisting on portosystemic shunt repairs; assisting on enterotomy portion of roundworm impaction in horse; clicker training wild mustang filly (not tech vet med); removing a teratoma!!!! (oh, wait, that is my dream case...one day teratoma, you will be mine...)

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you. Have to copy Nyanko with this - I HATE back yard breeders. I am a HUGE proponent of RESPONSIBLE breeding in a effort to FURTHER the breed, not just make a buck off of a "pure bred" disaster.

Owner compliance

I wuv animals. Is this not the answer they are looking for in interviews???

Was going to say unicorn, but apparently they are a hot commodity for hamburgers these days...who knew? Ok, fire breathing dragon.

I would change my science GPA from undergrad. Just two classes that have come back to haunt me again and again.

I would want to increase respect for veterinarians from the public and for respect between veterinarians working in different sectors of the field.

Either Food Animal Therio or Ambulatory in an academic setting, but with teaching as opposed to research emphasis.

Most interesting case probably a springer that suddenly went blind at age 5. Blanking on the term of the condition right now.

Welfare and standards of care for any animal, food, companion or laboratory.

Figuring out WHY people don't want to do what this country needs (either food animal/rural work, public health, etc.) Is it money? Is it lifestyle? Is it industry pressure? Working conditions? And then solving these problems.

I feel like it's one big happy mix of science, diagnostics, compassion/communication and satisfaction.

Probably a herding/working dog.

In retrospect, because hindsight is 20/20, I would have either double-majored in chemistry, animal science or Spanish (on top of my current major) and would have taken courses in a more logical sequence. Speech would have fit much better than physics freshman year.

For the people who mentioned low cost S/N/vax as a big issue:

I've only really worked for the shelter side of things, so I can't comment on much else, but the number one reason for people not to spay and neuter their pets is because of cost. I don't think small animal vets working in private practice would have had these clients anyway--they just wouldn't go to a vet because they can't afford it. We euthanize million (I think in the order of 8 million?) adoptable pets in shelters every year. I know spays/neuters/vax are a big money maker for clinics, but I value animal life more than I do the 20 bucks I may make for a vaccine. If I were a vet, I think I would rather some get their dog spayed and not risk ovarian cancer, pyometra, or any other mesh of diseases, and not contribute to pet overpopulation than personally doing it as that client's vet. I think, because these low cost S/N clinics aren't going away and are most likely decreasing the number of breeding animals in our population that will later need to be euthanized, that vets should find other ways to make themselves stand out and profit from other procedures or treatments that cannot be provided for by these services. (Note: my shelter does not do exams, but does do low cost S/N and has a vaccine clinic every week). I also think that the stop of rabies, distemper, and parvo are more important to the veterinary profession (although, maybe not for the vet's pocketbook) than animals walking around unvaccinated because they couldn't afford it at their local clinic. I may be naive and I'm probably looking at it all wrong, but those are my views :)

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread

Definitely repeating others' answers here...but not having to think about financial issues on (at least at the clinic i work at) EVERY single case, the vets are always worried about money and I hate how that compromises necessary treatment all the time...MDs are LUCKY they don't have to deal with this (at least most don't, i dont think)

Well I really like the clinic i work at which sees routine cases as well as has emergency hours, its a good balance. So I would want to be a GP specialist (DABVP) as of right now

Well it's not particularly interesting, but there was a one week old degloved puppy who the owners loved so much that they brought her in every other day until she was almost 4 months for bandage changes and now it looks so good and she has almost full function of her leg. I just loved that case because they were willing to do anything for her and were so nice to us and grateful to us for helping their puppy.

Not being able to treat an animal because the client can't/won't pay

Money...clients' money, the practices money, vets money, everybody's damn money.

a LOT of things...helping people and their animals of course, science, educating clients, educating myself, the challenge, the wide variety of careers one can pursue with a DVM

bald eagle...no predators and as someone else has said, "I can fly!"

Going back and studying more in undergrad so I can get better grades! And start getting more varied experience earlier.

I'd make it cheaper to become a vet. This may be colored by the fact that I'm about to start school, so you know, take that with a grain of salt.

Hrmm. I'm kind of into the whole "general practice" thing, but I guess I'll be only slightly sassy and say that I would be a caprine specialist and only see goats. :)

That's hard! One time we cut a donkey's balls off, and the owner decided to cook them for dinner for her husband as a practical joke. While this might not be medicine related, you can't tell me that's not hilarious.

Not throwing things at irresponsible/non-compliant people. But that's a challenge I face every day.

All that mofo'ing money.

The challenge, the science, the people, the animals... Too many things.

A RHINOCEROS, DUHHHH!!!!

1133780%7EBlack-Rhinoceros-Running-Namibia-Posters.jpg

I identify strongly with rhinoceri. They have very poor vision and are easily angered. This describes me well.

I'd be older.

Niri - was it sudden acquired retinal degeneration (SARDs)? I actually saw one case of that, and it was pretty crazy! Thanks for reminding me! Poor little dog was so confused. At least blind animals are capable of living a realtively normal life indoors after some time...

It's lag behind human medicine. Considering that most human procedures are developed on animal test subjects, I think they should be introduced to the veterinary world first.

Medical counseling....as in, your vet doesn't have time to explain every detail of your pet's disease, so get referred to me. I love client education!

Sacral IV disk decompression on a great dane. You talk about being able to see everything.

Deciding which charity cases are worth my time and effort and which aren't.

Figuring out how to make vet care more accessible to those who can't afford it, without being robbed by those who can.

Dog kisses. If it weren't for dog kisses, I'd probably have ended up an MD.

I'm a cow. Jersey or Holstein preferably.

I've only really worked for the shelter side of things, so I can't comment on much else, but the number one reason for people not to spay and neuter their pets is because of cost. I don't think small animal vets working in private practice would have had these clients anyway--they just wouldn't go to a vet because they can't afford it. We euthanize million (I think in the order of 8 million?) adoptable pets in shelters every year. I know spays/neuters/vax are a big money maker for clinics, but I value animal life more than I do the 20 bucks I may make for a vaccine. If I were a vet, I think I would rather some get their dog spayed and not risk ovarian cancer, pyometra, or any other mesh of diseases, and not contribute to pet overpopulation than personally doing it as that client's vet. I think, because these low cost S/N clinics aren't going away and are most likely decreasing the number of breeding animals in our population that will later need to be euthanized, that vets should find other ways to make themselves stand out and profit from other procedures or treatments that cannot be provided for by these services. (Note: my shelter does not do exams, but does do low cost S/N and has a vaccine clinic every week). I also think that the stop of rabies, distemper, and parvo are more important to the veterinary profession (although, maybe not for the vet's pocketbook) than animals walking around unvaccinated because they couldn't afford it at their local clinic. I may be naive and I'm probably looking at it all wrong, but those are my views :)

I believe the problem lies in the people who CAN afford spay/neuter/vax at a regular clinic, but choose not too because they don't like to spend money on their pets. Which is why most people would like to limit it to the provably needy, instead of the rich neighbor from down the street.

Niri - was it sudden acquired retinal degeneration (SARDs)? I actually saw one case of that, and it was pretty crazy! Thanks for reminding me! Poor little dog was so confused. At least blind animals are capable of living a realtively normal life indoors after some time...

I do think it was (but I just double checked on wikipedia). The GP vet I worked for ended up referring the case to an optho at a local specialty clinic (mm....suburbs :p) who basically confirmed the diagnosis.

It was unfortunate because the owner had just moved to the area, but at least her dog was capable of telling (by non-visual senses) if she was inside or outside the house, so the family was going to cope with the situation as best they could.

I know its been said, but owner education. Although it may not be possible, I think it is the job of vets to educate their clients. I know a lot of doctors who just get clients in and out and never take the time to explain anything to their clients, which results in ignorant clients. I know it can't happen because vet med is a business that needs to make profit, but wouldn't it be awesome if vets could take some time to teach their clients about animals?

In response to this, while the doctors I work with are very good about client education, in most cases the technician should be able to explain and answer most questions about parasites, vaccines, disease prevention and pathways, medications, etc. The doctor's time is more valuable from a monetary standpoint than a technician's so really the education should be passed on to the techs. That's what makes the most business sense. Now, if a client has in-depth questions or the doctor is just browsing VIN because it's a slow day, then yes the doctor should be able to take the time to educate the client. The problem then is an unrealistic sense of how much time the doctor has to spend with the client and patient for subsequent visits. I know that when I go to a doctor, the nurses spend significantly more time in the room with me than the doctor. The doctor does his exam, reviews the basics of the findings, then moves on to the next patient. Gaining the trust of a pet owner requires a little more than this kind of interaction, but overall the doctor's time with the client should not require a 30 minute discussion about heartworm infection, prevention, treatment when a technician is perfectly capable of reviewing that information.

Sorry, this was a rant. lol

Since so many people already talked about compliance, insurance, owner responsibility, etc, I'll say the relationship between veterinarians and MD/DOs. I'm not saying that it's like the Montagues and the Capulets or the Jets and the Sharks, but I think that both sides look down on the other a little bit. Also, with so many zoonotic diseases and parasites out there, I feel like communication between vets and human doctors should be greater.

At this point, probably clinical pathology. Who knows, though

Cat who was lazy and gaining weight, coughed occasionally, radiographed to look for asthma 2 years after this started only to find a huge peritoneopericardial hernia. Cat had surgery and plays with the other cats now and is losing weight. Awesome rads! Happy ending! It was just fantastic!

People already said these, but being unable to treat animals due to financial constraints and ear cropping. I just love big floppy ears.

5) What is the biggest problem you think faces vet med today

Again, already said but, perceived vs actual value of the services and products we provide due to low-cost clinics, online pharmacies, feed store vaccines/dewormer.

The detective work. I also have found that I absolutely love client education. Especially parasites!

I said penguin in my interview the other day, and I'm going to stick with it. Live in the cold, get to swim all the time, eat tons of fish, plus they're very family-oriented. I also have to say that those belly slides look pretty awesome

I don't believe in regret. Nothing. Sure there are things on my application that definitely work against me, but they're what made me work so hard to make the other aspects of my application stronger. The end

I have absolutely no issue with reducing costs on spays, neuters, and vaccinations for people who cannot afford the actual price for them, unless they are so inherently poor that they also can't afford to feed or properly house their pets, in which case they should not own pets. I have an incredibly large issue with low cost clinics (shelters or otherwise) offering these procedures, dentals with and without(!) anesthesia, yearly physicals, heartworm tests, de-worming, and other exams and treatments that build up what will be MY client base and pay MY bills to people who can afford to pay full price for them. Aside from the would-be client base, though, in the instances that I am referring to, hospitals are going out of business because they are losing previously great clients to the low cost nonprofits (who actually do profit quite a bit), and then the good clients only come back in emergency situations that the nonprofits can't handle or to get presurgical bloodwork done for a surgery they don't want me to perform because it's not worth the actual monetary value to them, thanks to the low cost clinic telling them it's not by offering that surgery at an incredibly reduced cost. I don't know if you can check out VIN yet, but there is a disgusting amount of threads about this written by current veterinarians who are struggling to keep above water because of this right now. That is a problem. I am honestly beginning to think that the only fighting chance normal clinics have against the bottom feeders is to all become nonprofit for the tax breaks. And, even if we could compete price-wise then, we would still be devaluing our profession. This problem is self-inflicted by our own colleagues. I can't stand it.

Two other issues are s/n clinics doing the surgery with lower standards of care than regular priced vet clinics and not providing follow-up, so when the pet has a complication the owner takes them to the regular vet and expects them to fix the problem (which might have been prevented in the first place) for a discounted price. These certainly don't apply to all s/n clinics, but frequently enough to be frustrating. Also, my understanding is that the majority of s/n clinics and shelter clinics do NOT means test (verify that the people they are helping are low income), so they ARE taking clients who can afford to go to a regular vet; as mentioned by OnceBitten many shelter clinics are expanding the services they provide to compete more directly with general practices. How is a vet who is not allowed to take donations, not allowed to use volunteers (this may surprise many of you who have volunteered for SA vets, but legally a for-profit business is NOT allowed to use volunteer labor except under certain circumstances), who has to pay more taxes, and who is not using humane society facilities supposed to compete well enough to stay afloat? Further, do the people who donate time and money realize what and whom they are subsidizing? And do you really want people to think that your time is only worth a discounted, below-cost price?

Signed,
Another Money Grubber Who Wants To Earn Enough To Pay Off Her Loan$

Two other issues are s/n clinics doing the surgery with lower standards of care than regular priced vet clinics and not providing follow-up, so when the pet has a complication the owner takes them to the regular vet and expects them to fix the problem (which might have been prevented in the first place) for a discounted price. These certainly don't apply to all s/n clinics, but frequently enough to be frustrating. Also, my understanding is that the majority of s/n clinics and shelter clinics do NOT means test (verify that the people they are helping are low income), so they ARE taking clients who can afford to go to a regular vet; as mentioned by OnceBitten many shelter clinics are expanding the services they provide to compete more directly with general practices. How is a vet who is not allowed to take donations, not allowed to use volunteers (this may surprise many of you who have volunteered for SA vets, but legally a for-profit business is NOT allowed to use volunteer labor except under certain circumstances), who has to pay more taxes, and who is not using humane society facilities supposed to compete well enough to stay afloat? Further, do the people who donate time and money realize what and whom they are subsidizing? And do you really want people to think that your time is only worth a discounted, below-cost price?

Signed,
Another Money Grubber Who Wants To Earn Enough To Pay Off Her Loan$

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I don't know if this was mentioned, but I'd say have people be more aware of that you don't have to specialize if you don't have to. And realize how HARD it is to go into this profession.It's not "I love animals" nonsense (but that is part of it ;))
I don't wanna pick one yet. I went in as marine and still stick with it. But, I've lately fallen in love with LA & I've always loved SA. Oooh! And wildlife, conservation, and.... the list just keeps going.
Coolest? Can I say that instead? Definitely helping with a LDA on a cow. SO COOL!:thumbup:
Convenience euthansias. Mainly cause although I'm not animal rights, I believe all things should be given the best life possible depending on their species. I'm not a huge human advocate to say the least.
Hm.......I can't really speak for this yet. I don't think I know enough!! I do think back to #1 that everyone assumes that this profession is somehow easy & doesn't make a lot of money. So many people I talked to (acquaintances) said: You know being a doctor, you'd make more money, right?
The possibility. And the fact that I can treat everything under the sun! (Who wants to treat animals that can talk to you, criticize you with their not-so-eloquent speech at times? Maybe college & my pre-health organization is making me bitter:p)
I always wanted to be my dog! But, I'd go with dolphin. Or a blue whale.
I'd get more experiences. But honestly, I wouldn't change where I am now. I did my best with my app and will do so again if the need arose!

In response to this, while the doctors I work with are very good about client education, in most cases the technician should be able to explain and answer most questions about parasites, vaccines, disease prevention and pathways, medications, etc. The doctor's time is more valuable from a monetary standpoint than a technician's so really the education should be passed on to the techs. That's what makes the most business sense. Now, if a client has in-depth questions or the doctor is just browsing VIN because it's a slow day, then yes the doctor should be able to take the time to educate the client. The problem then is an unrealistic sense of how much time the doctor has to spend with the client and patient for subsequent visits. I know that when I go to a doctor, the nurses spend significantly more time in the room with me than the doctor. The doctor does his exam, reviews the basics of the findings, then moves on to the next patient. Gaining the trust of a pet owner requires a little more than this kind of interaction, but overall the doctor's time with the client should not require a 30 minute discussion about heartworm infection, prevention, treatment when a technician is perfectly capable of reviewing that information.

Sorry, this was a rant. lol

Based on my experiences, I don't think I agree with the fact that techs should be giving most of the education. I talked to a few people who take their animals o one of the vets I volunteered with. One of the reasons why they love her is because SHE listens to them and SHE takes the time to educate them, not the techs. My mom recently started going to a new vet and my mom really respects him. He took the time to explain to her about vaccinations boosters and how they work.

I know that doctors get busy, but if the vets have the time to talk to owners about something as simple as vaccines, they should do it instead of just handing it off to the techs and heading out back. I think it builds a closer relationship between the client and vet. I also kind of believe that if you start off with small things like vaccines and flea preventative, the clients are going to take your advice more seriously if a larger problem crops up with their animal.

Also, at the clinics I volunteered at, the techs take the history during the exam and that's pretty much it. The vet takes the rest of the exam from there. I thought that was the norm, until I read that post.

Based on my experiences, I don't think I agree with the fact that techs should be giving most of the education. I talked to a few people who take their animals o one of the vets I volunteered with. One of the reasons why they love her is because SHE listens to them and SHE takes the time to educate them, not the techs. My mom recently started going to a new vet and my mom really respects him. He took the time to explain to her about vaccinations boosters and how they work.

I know that doctors get busy, but if the vets have the time to talk to owners about something as simple as vaccines, they should do it instead of just handing it off to the techs and heading out back. I think it builds a closer relationship between the client and vet. I also kind of believe that if you start off with small things like vaccines and flea preventative, the clients are going to take your advice more seriously if a larger problem crops up with their animal.

Also, at the clinics I volunteered at, the techs take the history during the exam and that's pretty much it. The vet takes the rest of the exam from there. I thought that was the norm, until I read that post.

I did say that if the doctor has time, that they should talk about whatever the owners want to speak with them about. I love client education so if I end up being in a private practice, I know that I'll probably make my boss mad with how much time I'll spend talking to owners. I'm just saying that most information should be known and understood by the technicians to the degree that they can educate since a lot of the time doctors are being pulled into three other rooms before they're done with one. I think it's also a personal preference. Where I work now, 2 of the doctors want the techs to get maximum history and then they will usually go into details a little bit more than normal, the third wants a minimal history and will have the tech discuss just about everything. Previous clinics have ranged from tech says nothing but "what's going on with Fluffy?" to answering detailed questions about medications, what to expect, what to look for, when to recheck, etc.

Make sure all veterinarians actually care about the animals. A few years ago, I met a vet who told me "if you love animals, you can't be a vet." SO basically go into the career strictly from a medicine point...like so many MDs that don't care about their patients.

Conservation Medicine - my life.

I would have to say the necropsy on one of our Snow Leopards. Not really a case but, very interesting.

Declaws. There's so many alternatives to it that don't harm the animal.

Spay/Neuter issues. Too few people are aware of the need to get their animals fixed.

At the risk of sounding like a little girl, the idea of making the world a better place. Through conservation medicine, I hope to better the lives of endangered species whether in a zoo setting or field setting.

Elephant or Giant Panda. They're tied :D

I did say that if the doctor has time, that they should talk about whatever the owners want to speak with them about. I love client education so if I end up being in a private practice, I know that I'll probably make my boss mad with how much time I'll spend talking to owners. I'm just saying that most information should be known and understood by the technicians to the degree that they can educate since a lot of the time doctors are being pulled into three other rooms before they're done with one. I think it's also a personal preference. Where I work now, 2 of the doctors want the techs to get maximum history and then they will usually go into details a little bit more than normal, the third wants a minimal history and will have the tech discuss just about everything. Previous clinics have ranged from tech says nothing but "what's going on with Fluffy?" to answering detailed questions about medications, what to expect, what to look for, when to recheck, etc.

Gotcha on that :thumbup:

I've worked in practices where techs handled everything but the comprehensive exam, and I wasn't a fan.

I've seen too many instances where techs (both where I've worked and when I've taken my pets to the ER) have misinterpreted or misstated the symptoms or history provided by the owner. I've also seen instances where techs ignored potentially important offhand comments made by an owner because they didn't realize they were pertinent- whereas the veterinarian probably would have. (I'm probably a little touchy on this stuff because one of my cats has a pretty complex medical history, and an innocent "oops" could kill him if certain things were overlooked.)

An ER tech once performed a preliminary exam on my cat, assured me that he was "fine, probably just a little nervous", and advised that I take him home because waiting around for the doctor would be a "waste of [my] time and money". The cat was in congestive heart failure.

I'm not bagging on techs here. I've worked with some pretty exceptional ones, and the techs at the practice I use are fabulous. (Major :thumbup:!) I just find the present trend in favor of maximizing profits through tech appointments and/or minimizing the amount of time veterinarians spend with their patients a little concerning.

It's happening in human medicine, too. The quality of the care my grandmother received took a nose dive when her neurologist's office adopted this approach. (Said neurologist eventually left the practice because of it. We followed her elsewhere.) Same with my mom's dermatologist. Spending 25 minutes being evaluated/questioned by a tech and having the doctor pop in for five minutes at the end just isn't the same as spending 30 minutes with the doctor.

Tech =/= DVM. I'm fine with techs answering basic questions, but if I have a real concern about something, I generally want to talk to a doctor.

Just my $0.02. (Apologies for the novel!) :oops:

Last edited:
I didn't read anyone else's answers in the interest of not letting myself be influenced by other responses before answering :) Sorry if something is repeated.

1) If you could change one thing about veterinary medicine, what would it be?
Probably the cost of education.

I don't honestly know the actual specialty designations, but I would really like to work in sports medicine (for any species) or necropsy. Something about necropsy is just so fascinating to me - you can learn so much!

This is tough. Progression of cases is sad in a way - I never liked to see the same animal again and again even if they were getting better. It was just a reminder that just because an animal walks back out through your doors doesn't mean it's happy and healthy again immediately. Which I technically knew, but. Anyway, one of my favorite things I've done is xray a 9' ball python - in sections! Ha.

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you (ie, convenience euthanasias, declaws, etc.)? I think working with/approving unrelieved pain/distress protocols with be the biggest ethical dilemma for me.

To be honest, the debt load that just about everyone will have when finished is a huge problem. It not only deters people from the field but it can seriously impact those who decide to bite the bullet and go for it anyway. It isn't a sustainable way for students to get their educations.

Overall, the opportunities. I feel like a DVM is a pass that lets you through almost any door. You can work with the public or not, you can work with animals or not, you can work with specific or broad ranges of animals, you can work in virtually any climate/country/situation, you can change your career (like from SA -> lab animal, for example) without have to be completely reschooled. I guess I like the idea that once I get that degree, I can do any number of the things that led to my interest in vet med in the first place (animals, education, puzzle-solving).

A bird of some sort. I would love to be able to fly and build a nest and check out some awesome scenery :)

I never really loved my personal statement. I think it was decent and functional but looking back, I didn't particularly like it all that well.

Last edited:
What was Kaydubs saying about procrastination?? :)

Plain and simple: The cost of education. I wish it would change for human medical training as well. That way, those of us who want to go into the painfully low paying aspects of medicine (animal or human) wouldn't have to worry so much about how we're going to pay it back.

Public health/conservation medicine via the World Health Organization.

Favorite: Assisting in plastic surgery on a research macaque from whom we removed a 'permanent' implant so we wouldn't have to commit him to a terminal project. :love:

Most interesting: Diagnosis of cooper toxicity in a flock of sheep. One of the most amazing medical 'mysteries' I've ever been a part of!!

4) What do you think is going to be the biggest ethical dilemma for you.

Please see answer to number 5 as the two are closely overlapped for me.

In respect to what I want to do, it's the feasibility of being able to completely end certain human behaviors that lead to zoonotic illness and/or the loss of wildlife and habitat. Some persons have ancient ways that are simply not beneficial to how the world is progressing. However, these behaviors are part of who they are as a culture.

The ability to help both animals and people through science and discovery.

I'm currently going through a gelada baboon phase... However, woolly monkey is a very very close second. Can you say prehensile tail?!? :cool:

The difficulty of getting into a school that's not your IS, and that not all states even HAVE an IS. Relatedly: the cost of OOS tuition. ;)

Exotics, zoo med, wildlife, dental, or surgical (although what kind of surgery I'm not sure).

Any malnourished/metabolic bone disease-afflicted reptile that has come back from the brink of death just from correcting the subpar husbandry and getting a dietary supplement or two. HBC turtles and tortoises regrowing their shells over several months; it is a really ... really ... really slow process, but very rewarding. Also sugar glider neuters are pretty sweet.

Zoo and/or political bureaucracy. I suppose that's more of a dilemma of having enough patience to deal with it. But like working with any client, I know the best I can do is make recommendations and allow the owner to ultimately make the care decisions.

Currently, owners' financial constraints and their effect on practices' bottom lines. So many clinics have gone out of business or have had to cut staff because of the economy.

I've always enjoyed being around and working with animals -- I can't think of anything I'd rather be when I grow up. :)

Water bear! Survive space, radiation, dehydration! https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Tardigrade

I'd erase my educational history from 1998 - 2001 to give my cumulative GPA a fighting chance.

People have said so many important things about this so far- the financial issues, the public's perception of the profession. So I'll try to dig a little deeper into my specific interests- Being interested, primarily, in FA medicine, I would really like people to understand how the care and treatment their food receives effects them directly.

small ruminant repro

Ah! This is hard! I love seeing the animals come back to the clinic I work at who are dealing with crazy or mysterious stuff and they get through it. And I love that their owners support them. But more specifically, in my own personal experience, the thing that made me think I could actually handle being a vet was getting called over to a neighbor's house to help a goat survive her labor. I don't want to get into it too much, but it was hairy and she made it. I smile when I walk my dogs by and I see her. :)

I know people have said already, but I have to agree- the inability or unwillingness of owners to be financially responsible for their animals' treatment and having to walk away with the animal not getting the treatment it needs.

One issue I hear about all the time from people with large animals and food animals in my area is that they simply can't get a vet to their farm- there aren't enough around, and/or they can't contact them or afford to have them out in an emergency. Or they have someone different every time.

the challenge and the science. The place where my passion for human health, environmental sustainability, and the animals that are part of both of those, meet.

sea otters always look like they are having a good time. :)

haven't applied yet!

Well I may be naive, but I would like to see the gap (and perceptions) between veterinary and human medicine lessened.

Hmm, well my experience has been pretty limited to GP. I am looking forward to being introduced to the more specific areas in vet school. If I had to pick today, I guess it would be theriogenolgy in cows and/or horses.

Nothing stands out in my mind specifcally at the moment, but getting to work with all the exotics volunteering with a zoo vet was very interesting.

Not being able to give preferred treatment due to cost.

Rural medicine.

Being able to combine my interest of medicine/science into my world of animal production.

Red Panda.

Favorite: Assisting in plastic surgery on a research macaque from whom we removed a 'permanent' implant so we wouldn't have to commit him to a terminal project. :love:

Most interesting: Diagnosis of cooper toxicity in a flock of sheep. One of the most amazing medical 'mysteries' I've ever been a part of!!

Cooper or copper?

Tardigrades ROCK. You can even buy a Giant Microbe version: http://www.giantmicrobes.com/ca/products/waterbear.html