Predicament: Need to retake a class, apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted689233

SDN,

I have a very large predicament that has been looming over my head and causing me mass amounts of stress. Through my Freshman and Sophomore years, I received a grand total of one B with all A's otherwise. I had volunteering under my belt, research and connections with professors. I had a full head of steam and was on my way toward success.

However, last summer I took Organic Chemistry labs. In Organic Chemistry Lab 1, I earned an A. In Organic Chemistry Lab 2, I finished with a D+.

Imagine my transcripts look something like this:

A. A. A. A-. A. A. A-. A. A-. A. B. A. A. D+. A. A. A. A-.B. A-.B. A. A. A-.

A big fat ugly D+. The reason I got a D+ was because of miscommunication with myself, My TA's, and my professor. I earned two zeros on labs that otherwise would've been A's. Regardless, it happened. I was absolutely livid, horrified, and sick to my stomach over it. But, water under the bridge.

My sGPA now 3.73

I am taking my MCAT May 22 and working on my applications. I plan to retake this Ochem lab in the summer and ace it. However, the lab isn't offered until 7/16 - 8/15. So, I won't have the new grade to replace the D until late August. Otherwise, my application will be primed and ready to go. I had everything planned out so that I could get my apps in by late June, pretty early in the application processes, putting me in good standing.

Therefore, what do you insightful people believe I should do? Wait until August to apply? Or just submit my otherwise solid application early, as planned, and try to explain/hope for sympathy regarding that one class.

I feel like this blight on my record really killed my chances with some of my hopeful schools, so I'm kind of in the dumps about that. There's other factors to my application that I have questions about, but I'll leave that for another time and I'll do some research around the forum before asking.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

whats your gpa before and after the retake? most likely a negligible change.

whats your gpa before and after the retake? most likely a negligible change.

The GPA change will be negligible, but that's not the concern entirely. It's more of a blight that needs corrected.

Also, all med schools require Organic Chemistry Laboratory. For required courses, I'm pretty sure you need at least a C- to consider it a "pass".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They will see the D regardless. I would let the rest of your solid application speak for itself rather than having your D take the spotlight. This includes not explaining your 'D' in your personal essay/application. I would then update your application with your new grades when you get them.

Therefore, what do you insightful people believe I should do? Wait until August to apply?
what did you decide to do?
im in a similar situation. retaking 2 classes this summer... one ending in late june and the other in mid aug. id prefer not to wait till august to apply but if grade replacement wont work otherwise, i might have to.