Predicted GPA, sGPA, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardust379

Live what you love.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am currently doing the Pre-Med and Health Sciences Certificate Program through UCLA Extension, retaking most of my pre-requisites to boost my terrible undergrad GPA. I received my B.S. in Psychobiology at UCLA.

Currently, I am looking to apply to D.O. schools. With that being said, so far in retaking the pre-reqs, I have done pretty well (straight A's so far) and I plan on applying this coming Summer. I will be done with classes by the end of Summer. I calculated my predicted cumulative GPA (based on an AACOMAS calculation AND IF I continue my straight A streak) to reach a 3.36 and my science GPA to be a 3.72. I calculated this keeping in mind the grade replacement policy D.O. schools have. My science GPA is significantly higher since I'm pretty much retaking all of my pre-reqs, give or take a few. I know my predicted cGPA is a little low, so my concern rests mostly on that.

Also, I took my MCAT and received a 24. Not a great score, but I know what needs to be fixed and what went wrong and am currently preparing to take it again in mid-April. I am HOPING to at least reach a 28 (or the 28 equivalent on the new version of the MCAT).

As for my extracurriculars, I have volunteered through a COPE Health Solutions internship for a while now and will be reaching 300+ hours by the end of summer. I have also volunteered at UCLA's medical center for a year (100+ hours) and have done some research for a year. I served as directors for three clubs on campus (a tutoring service for underprivileged kids, a pre-med society, and a political science club). I was also a member of a sorority and a writer for a local, student-run newspaper geared towards the Muslim community in SoCal. I've worked as a paid tutor for about a year as well. I will be shadowing a D.O. in about 2 to 3 weeks for about a month.

What do you think my chances at a D.O. school are? I realize it's quite difficult to evaluate an applicant based on a few paragraphs of information, but based on this, what would you say?

I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have pretty good odds with those stats

Reactions: 1 user
GPAs are good. Suggest not applying until you get your new MCAT score. And aim for very high 20s, if not >30.

Hi all!

I am currently doing the Pre-Med and Health Sciences Certificate Program through UCLA Extension, retaking most of my pre-requisites to boost my terrible undergrad GPA. I received my B.S. in Psychobiology at UCLA.

Currently, I am looking to apply to D.O. schools. With that being said, so far in retaking the pre-reqs, I have done pretty well (straight A's so far) and I plan on applying this coming Summer. I will be done with classes by the end of Summer. I calculated my predicted cumulative GPA (based on an AACOMAS calculation AND IF I continue my straight A streak) to reach a 3.36 and my science GPA to be a 3.72. I calculated this keeping in mind the grade replacement policy D.O. schools have. My science GPA is significantly higher since I'm pretty much retaking all of my pre-reqs, give or take a few. I know my predicted cGPA is a little low, so my concern rests mostly on that.

Also, I took my MCAT and received a 24. Not a great score, but I know what needs to be fixed and what went wrong and am currently preparing to take it again in mid-April. I am HOPING to at least reach a 28 (or the 28 equivalent on the new version of the MCAT).

As for my extracurriculars, I have volunteered through a COPE Health Solutions internship for a while now and will be reaching 300+ hours by the end of summer. I have also volunteered at UCLA's medical center for a year (100+ hours) and have done some research for a year. I served as directors for three clubs on campus (a tutoring service for underprivileged kids, a pre-med society, and a political science club). I was also a member of a sorority and a writer for a local, student-run newspaper geared towards the Muslim community in SoCal. I've worked as a paid tutor for about a year as well. I will be shadowing a D.O. in about 2 to 3 weeks for about a month.

What do you think my chances at a D.O. school are? I realize it's quite difficult to evaluate an applicant based on a few paragraphs of information, but based on this, what would you say?

I would appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
GPAs are good. Suggest not applying until you get your new MCAT score. And aim for very high 20s, if not >30.
Great! That is exactly what I plan on doing. Hopefully, my MCAT score will leap a little. Thanks for your response!