prefer UNT....is it a good school to get a MPH???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tamannaF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,i am absolutely new here,this is my first post.accepted in epidemiology MPH fall'14 in TAMU,UNT,UT ...I am interested attending UNT.Is it OK?Is this a good school to get a MPH?I am new in U.S.A. so dont know anything about it's living,transportation and all other condition.As it is in a big city so I thought that will be better option.please if any one who is a student or any one can suggest me or tell me pros and cons,I will be really grateful.Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

hello,i am absolutely new here,this is my first post.accepted in epidemiology MPH fall'14 in TAMU,UNT,UT ...I am interested attending UNT.Is it OK?Is this a good school to get a MPH?I am new in U.S.A. so dont know anything about it's living,transportation and all other condition.As it is in a big city so I thought that will be better option.please if any one who is a student or any one can suggest me or tell me pros and cons,I will be really grateful.Thank you.
I think UT is a better school than UNT and it's also cheaper. I was also accepted into UNT for Health Policy but I do not think I will be attending.

Is no one else considering UNTHSC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is no one else considering UNTHSC?

I am trying to decide between UNT and NYU. I like the program at UNT. It seems very solid academic-wise and I really like that they require you to take the CPH exam before graduating, but there's not much opportunity for gaining international experience, which I am interested in. Also, it seems like the majority of people remain in the DFW metroplex area or in Texas after graduation. I've lived all my life in Texas, and would like to experience something different, so that's why I am considering NYU, but UNT is a great program and the price is really good (for in-state, at least). Not as cheap as UT, but still pretty good. I visited back in August of last year, and while the program is small, they were really nice and it seems like there is a good sense of community between the students.

If you are looking for a big city, then I would definitely count out A&M. That's in College Station, which is a small town. UNT is in Fort Worth and UT is in Houston. Both are big cities although I would say Houston is bigger. The UT SPH is in the Texas medical center, and there are shuttles and a rail system that you could take to class, and maybe get away without having a car, although that depends on where you live. I would still recommend owning a car just because Houston is not a city like NYC where you can get anywhere with public transportation. There are still lots of places you need a car to get to. same as with Fort Worth.

I guess rankings wise UT is better than UNT, but it really comes down to what school is a better fit for you and your career goals. I have visited both and feel like they are both pretty good, although UNT is a smaller program. Also, they both seem to have a lot of international students and a lot of organizations and event for international students, which might appeal to you.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck in making your decision!