Preference for English Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Symphonies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, as I'm signing up for classes my college is essentially forcing me to take a one semester honors English class. Obviously, this doesn't satisfy the 6 credit requirement that most schools have, and they're trying to convince me to take a 300 class (business writing or technical writing or something like that), as opposed to just taking basic English 101/102 which I'm pretty sure I could get a better grade in. They're also convinced that "dental schools like to see these classes more," which I'm kind of doubtful about. So, should I continue pushing for 101/102 or just give in and take a honors/300 composition class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, as I'm signing up for classes my college is essentially forcing me to take a one semester honors English class. Obviously, this doesn't satisfy the 6 credit requirement that most schools have, and they're trying to convince me to take a 300 class (business writing or technical writing or something like that), as opposed to just taking basic English 101/102 which I'm pretty sure I could get a better grade in. They're also convinced that "dental schools like to see these classes more," which I'm kind of doubtful about. So, should I continue pushing for 101/102 or just give in and take a honors/300 composition class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Are you in an honors program at your college?
If English 101/102 will satisfy the requirement for your undergrad degree and the dental school pre-reqs I would take those two just to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Your gpa is what matters. Getting an A in a non honors is much better than getting a B in an honors class.
I know med schools don't give damn whether your course is is honors or not, a 4 is a 4. I'm sure the same applies to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say don't give in. If you're in the honors program, then you may have to take it. But as far as dental schools go, they don't care about the rigor of english classes just as long as you complete the first two semesters. So just take 101/102. I know at my college, I have to take a technical writing class because its a requirement for all degrees.

Are you in an honors program at your college?
If English 101/102 will satisfy the requirement for your undergrad degree and the dental school pre-reqs I would take those two just to be safe.
Yes I am; In that case, I'll continue to fight for 101/102.

Thanks for your help everybody!