About the ads

Preference for State to practice pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Jabberwocky12, Oct 23, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Jabberwocky12

Jabberwocky12 Pharmaceutical Wizard

Pre-Pharmacy

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I saw an old thread about some differences in the states for pharmacy, but what would be your top 3 states to go practice pharmacy and why?

I would like to go to North Dakota since most pharmacies there aren't national chains since they have to be owned/majority share of pharmacists in the state. However that is the only state that comes to mind right now.

I think PA just recently started revamping some pharmacy/doctor collaborations as well but that is still in the works I believe.

Any more? I'm trying to see what states look appealing to work after pharmacy school, and it might help to make a tie-breaker between a few schools I'm applying to as well.

Thanks a ton for the input guys, it's kinda hard to find out some of these things without doing a lot of reading in law books...
  2. JohnnyRomanes

JohnnyRomanes wussup doge

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Florida- I live here and most of my family and friends are here; nice state I must admit even though S. Florida is going downhill.
    Illinois- My other family lives there and I like the state very laid back in the rural areas.
    California- So much to say but the only downside for me is the higher cost of living.
    This is if I were graduating from Pharm School. Sadly I'm only in Pre-pharm. :/
  3. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex

Pharmacist
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I would do some research and move to a state that has a BOP pharmacy that doesn't have thier head up thier ass. Ones I can think off the top of my head are California, North Dakota, and North Carolina.
  4. Pinser555

Pinser555

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Mass - No coupons, and mandatory generic law. Cuts out a lot of bull....

Also Boston is awesome (minus the winter :-/)
  5. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author hSDN Member SDN 5+ Year Member
    At the risk of sounding simple, what is mandatory generic law?
  6. Pinser555

Pinser555

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    No DAW 2 at all. The only DAW code allowed is 1... makes like simple... I think its basically that insurance is mandated by law; hence they see no need for coupons, and to keep premiums low they require generics...
  7. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author hSDN Member SDN 5+ Year Member
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if yall get more DAW1 because of this?

I often wonder why people who want DAW2 don't just ask their doctor for DAW1. How hard is it to say to your doctor, "can you write for brand only? Generic doesn't work for me."? Maybe because I am behind the pharmacy counter my perception is skewed but it seems like it would be easier on the patient to get the doctor to write for brand than it is to get the brand after the fact. Won't many insurances cover DAW1 anyway (maybe with prior auth)? Just one of those things that I always found humorous.
  8. Pinser555

Pinser555

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    We do get a bit more DAW 1's, but not significantly more. Mostly because they can't double bill with a Solydon or Clobex trail card :)... Also physicians have no incentives to write for brand medications from reps..
  9. Jabberwocky12

Pre-Pharmacy
    Aren't there certain states that allow limited prescriptive authority? Like swapping out in the same class or adjusting the sig if the prescription was messed up? My pharmacist mentioned a little bit about it before he moved but he never told me what state it was...
  10. Kumura

Kumura

California all of the way; pharmacists can do many things here that they cant do in other states.
  11. rxlea

rxlea Unicorn in training Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN Published Author NCPA hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 5+ Year Member
    North Carolina, Minnesota, New Mexico.
  12. Jabberwocky12

Pre-Pharmacy
    So what about CA, MN, NM, and NC make them so appealing for pharmacy? I live in NC so maybe I am taking it for granted but what is the difference? I'm mainly talking about state law rather than location or weather, since I don't really care where I practice since it's going to be MY profession and I want to see who will be working with me the most ^_^
  13. njac

njac Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    NC and NM both have advanced practice opportunities for pharmacists to have prescriptive authority.
  14. Dalteparin

Dalteparin

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Work for the VA - pharmacists there do a lot of collaborating with MDs and have limited prescribing authority, and since the VA is part of the Federal government, it won't matter what state you're in.
  15. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Army SDN 7+ Year Member
    Dod civilian trumps all... Can work in any state. Opportunity to open specialty clinics should you have the expertise and know how, provider status (beyond corroborative practice agreements, no insurance or cash transactions... Only negative is the lower initial pay.
  16. Jabberwocky12

Pre-Pharmacy
    What is the difference between doing that vs working in a VA hospital vs USPHSC as a commissioned officer? I'm honestly looking at doing USPHSC working with Indian Health Services or FDA or CDC but I'm still looking around for that...
  17. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Are you kidding? MA is one of the least progressive states as far as pharmacy practice is concerned.
  18. pandapharmer

pandapharmer adorable but feisty

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    can you elaborate? what kinds of freedoms do pharmacists in cali have that they don't in other states?