Preferred clinical volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oversizedluggage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in an area without many hospitals to volunteer in, and these are the only 2 opportunities available to me currently. Do adcoms prefer either type of clinical volunteering?

Volunteer position A
Clean rooms, transport patients, run errands for nurses. Position A is definitely more hands-on than position B, but you talk to patients less.

Volunteer position B
Sit at outpatient front desk, help guide patients to destination, administer surveys after discharge. More patient interaction than position A, but you are further removed from patient care because you are not entering any patient rooms and interacting with patients after they have been seen.

Members don't see this ad.

While both might yield certain benefits as far as developing interpersonal and professional relationship skills, task management, etc., choose the one that you think will give you more of an insight into what patient care looks like and what the hospital staff - specifically the doctors - do, day to day.

I don't see what doctors do in either position. I got most of my meaningful clinical exposure by shadowing doctors. The volunteering is more for "paying my dues," so to speak.

I don't see what doctors do in either position. I got most of my meaningful clinical exposure by shadowing doctors. The volunteering is more for "paying my dues," so to speak.
If that's the case then pick the one you think you'll get the most out of and which won't bore your to tears.