Pregnancy + DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAvet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just wanted to know if anybody who is attending or has attended a DPT program was themselves or had a classmate who was pregnant during the program. If so did it seem to impair your/their abilities to participate or were you/they forced to take a lot of time off?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just wanted to know if anybody who is attending or has attended a DPT program was themselves or had a classmate who was pregnant during the program. If so did it seem to impair your/their abilities to participate or were you/they forced to take a lot of time off?

I'm not pregnant, nor have children, there are PT students that do have kids, but it is not a good time to be pregnant, there is little time off between semesters (like 2-3 weeks in the program I'm going to). And I don't know how feasible it is to take time off during the semester, the classes are pretty intense. If you were wanting to be in a PT program, I would wait until I was finished to have a child, but that is just me. All my friends that have children get no sleep for the first few months after birth and I cannot imagine that lack of sleep is conductive to learning.

I have a toddler and it's been a challenge just to take my pre-requisites--lots of nights where I've been up until 2 or 3 am because I couldn't start my homework until she went to bed. I can't imagine being pregnant (I was ALWAYS tired) and/or having a newborn in the PT program.

Like the poster above said, if you really want to be a PT, I would wait. If you are already pregnant and about to start a PT program, just make sure you budget your time so you can rest. I'm sure your program will give you time off after the baby is born, but it won't be much, so I would use my student loans to hire a nanny or make sure you get help when it is offered/don't be afraid to ask for it if you need it.

Good luck!

This is one of those "depends" questions lol. Every female has a different experience when it comes to pregnancy. When my wife was preggers, the midwife told us the first trimester would be the worst in terms of acid reflux and low energy levels. Unfortunately, this lasted until the day of labor:( During this time, my wife was able to take courses full time albeit, being miserable. Granted, the courses were also online. I have heard other experiences where there are minimal complications through the entire gestational period, making school doable. It's very unpredictable as to how the body will react, but with enough determination I think it's possible.