Prelim Intern Year before Derm Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanttobeadoctor27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but, I don't really see the answer to my question anywhere.
I know that you need to do a prelim intern year before starting certain residencies, for example Dermatology, but what does this mean during your 4th year of med school when you're applying to residencies? Do you apply to a prelim internship and then the following year apply to the Derm residency or do you do it all in the same year? If you do it in the same year does that mean the residency is like "holding" your spot for a year? If the prelim is in a different place than the derm residency how do the two programs connect?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if your status is just not updated, as it says Premedical, rather than Medical Student. If you're not a med student, then you shouldn't be worrying about this at all, but I'll assume for the sake of argument that you are a med student. In the fall of the last year of med school, you apply for both an internship AND dermatology residency at the same time. The internship is only meant to be one year, and Derm residency the next 3 years. There is no "holding", as Derm residency is meant to directly follow internship. The only "connection" the 2 programs need to have is that you've completed one before moving on to the other. So your Derm residency has to confirm that you completed your internship before you start Derm residency. Your internship can be done anywhere that offers either a prelim year or a transitional year. That's it.

Last edited: