Prelim Medicine and Chair's letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZuperZtar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to get a IM Chair's letter to apply to prelim years? I have really strong LOR's from other people including an IM program director. Is it really important to get a generic letter from the Chair of the IM program for prelim year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to get a lot of interviews with just the IM Program Director letter?

got plenty with ONE IM attending (non PD, non Chair) letter.

***however (rarely)*** some Prelim Medicine programs will REQUIRE an IM CHAIR or PD LETTER. this is usually stated on their website.

Got plenty without any IM letters at all.

Had all Anesthesia/Surgery LORs, even though I was applying for Prelim Med

the "chair of medicine" at my program does not write letters as he does not work with students

however i have a letter from "chair of internal medicine rotation" for the students....does that count? sorry for nitpicking but i dont feel liek having my app thrown out for little wordplay

Is it really necessary to get a IM Chair's letter to apply to prelim years? I have really strong LOR's from other people including an IM program director. Is it really important to get a generic letter from the Chair of the IM program for prelim year?

and that would be no

agree with the above. i only had a regular IM attending letter and got plenty of interview for prelim spots. you won't go far down on your prelim med list anyway (depending on your location and "competitiveness" i suppose, but even if you're average or a little lower you'll be fine).

If you do end up needing it (some programs do strictly require it) it's not a big deal - just ask your home IM PD who can get a letter with the chair's sig on it - in my experience it was basically just the comments from my MS3 and MS4 rotations rehashed with a bigwig's name on the bottom. It wasn't much of a hassle, and the PD's and chairs know that ppl like you need such things

My only medicine letter was from an FP and I still received interviews from people who "required a letter from the chair of IM". This is only an issue with categorical IM applicants. They don't really care that much with prelims, since you are only going to be cheap scut labor and gone in a year.

I have another similar question...

I have a medicine letter, which is only so-so, but I have better letters (from either anesthesia or surgery). Should I include the medicine letter for prelim medicine program? Or should I submit the better letters even though they are not from medicine?

There is probably no right answer to this question, but if anyone has any insight, I'd love to get some advice.

I have another similar question...

I have a medicine letter, which is only so-so, but I have better letters (from either anesthesia or surgery). Should I include the medicine letter for prelim medicine program? Or should I submit the better letters even though they are not from medicine?

There is probably no right answer to this question, but if anyone has any insight, I'd love to get some advice.

Always submit the stronger letters.

If you do end up needing it (some programs do strictly require it) it's not a big deal - just ask your home IM PD who can get a letter with the chair's sig on it - in my experience it was basically just the comments from my MS3 and MS4 rotations rehashed with a bigwig's name on the bottom. It wasn't much of a hassle, and the PD's and chairs know that ppl like you need such things

I have one silly question...few programs I need to apply need a IM Chair letter. On my residency application (ERAS) for 2016, they want to specify the author based on the following below:

1. This LoR Author is a Department Chair where I completed my clerkship training. Group departmental letters must be signed by the team composing the letter.
2. None of the above.

My school is in Missouri, but I did the clerkship training in Arizona. Our school has clinical sites outside the main campus. So, I haven't worked with a Chair directly. Can I still choose the first option even though I haven't completed my clerkship training at Missouri on-site with him, directly? What is your thought on this?