Prelim spot competition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about not matching into EM. I'm considering trying for a prelim surgery spot (I liked surgery, but not the lifestyle), and reapplying for EM. I'm a USIMG and my step one score was not exactly stellar, but a good step 2 score, also plenty of research experience and papers. Needless to say the application would be very late. Should I even bother?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i undestand, about 25% of surgical PGY1 spots remained unfilled in last year's match (scutwork.com). The majority of those spots were preliminary spots.

Other posts in this forum have also indicated that the categorical spots did not have as many problems filling.

Those are some of the stats I know, perhaps they can be of some service to you.

It's actually not that late to apply to a preliminary surgery spot. A lot of programs, from my understanding, don't even begin interviewing for their prelim surgical spots until some time in late January or February (after the early matches) for the non-designated positions.

However because competition for preliminary spots is virtually nonexistent, there's no reason to apply to the spots now through ERAS. If you've already submitted applications to EM programs, wait for Match Week, learn that you've been unmatched, then scramble for an open non-designated prelim surgery spot, of which there are bound to be PLENTY in practically every state.

Don't sell yourself short. You never know how things will turn out on March 20th. Besides, EM is competitive, but not disgustingly so. :)

Meke sure you go to enough interviews and rank enough programs if you are worried. EM was originally in my differental and in my M2 year I went to a discussion held by our school after the match. I met a person who matched in EM, said he had less than stellar credentals (GPA <3.0, not so hot on step 1). He did a bunch of EM electives, got good letters applied to a bunch of programs, ranked 13 and matched at choice 12. (so if he had ranked 11, he would have gone unmatched) If you look at the NRMP site at the match algorithm, they say the main reason for not matching is failure to rank enough programs.

So, if, after you rank a bunch of places, you still don't match, I'd scramble into a prelim spot. That way, you don't spend a bunch of money unnecessarily.