PREMED ENGINEERING MAJOR--GAP YEAR!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisaaxox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a currently a senior majoring in Biomedical Engineering and I have decided to go to medical school rather late in my undergraduate career (like junior year late). I had always considered it, but for various reasons, I did not commit until last year. For this, I am really behind in the application process, so I have decided to take a gap year (probably two years). I'm trying to figure out the best way to spend these two years to really work on my application. I leaning toward finding a research technician position in a lab. I have been told that post-bac is not the best option for me since I have taken most of the pre-req classes (I only have biochemistry, chemistry II and an english class left to take).

My current GPA is 3.85 and I have a good amount of research experience. I have done research in tissue engineering for two years and have done two summer research internships at Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and another medical college. I feel like am lacking in clinical experience: I have volunteered at a really small hospital for a few months but haven't really gotten much out of it since the hospital is literally about to shut down... I am starting a new volunteering at a bigger hospital in the spring. I have no physician shadowing and have not traveled internationally for like a medical brigade or anything (how important are service trips on the application?).

I guess I'm just looking for more meaningful clinical experience and just general advice on how to best spend my gap year to make me a more competitive applicant in a few years. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Service trips have a very bad reputation on SDN and several adcoms have cited their dubious relevancy as a clinical experience. You are far better off volunteering at a hospital here, scribing, or some such else activity within the states. You have a strong GPA which is great. Have you taken the MCAT? You will have to take the 2015 MCAT at this point if you have not already taken the MCAT. Biochemistry is only a pre-requisite at some medical schools but if you plan on taking the 2015 MCAT it is strongly recommended that you take at least one semester of Biochem.

1. Is it possible for you to finish taking your pre-reqs in your spring semester of senior year of undergrad? Taking classes as an undergrad is cheaper, easier, and more convenient than as a graduate. Those classes should be no problem for you if you are able to fit them in.

2. Do you have non-clinical volunteering? It looks like you have research and academics down so service and clinical experience should be your focus. There is no reason that these two cannot be accomplished simultaneously. Americorps could be a very good option for you considering they provide several opportunities to serve in public education, health and development. However, Americorps is a significant commitment and it is something that your heart really has to be in for it to be a good option (at least that is the impression I have gathered from people who have done it, many drop out of their commitments after they figured out they don't want to commit a year to that type of service and that is an uncomfortable position to be in).

I think you have a good idea of what you need to do: Improve the clinical and service aspects of your application.

A very relevant thread for you to read in which how clinical experience is evaluated is discussed can be found here.

Eh, you could get an actual job in engineering while doing your volunteering on the side. The pay sure beats whatever you'll be paid as a research tech and makes for far more interesting conversation during interviews. Heck, every residency interview I've done so far as asked me about my engineering jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, you could get an actual job in engineering while doing your volunteering on the side. The pay sure beats whatever you'll be paid as a research tech and makes for far more interesting conversation during interviews. Heck, every residency interview I've done so far as asked me about my engineering jobs.

What field of engineering did you focus on, and how long where you working in the engineering field? I'm not sure what kind of job I can secure for only two years.

What field of engineering did you focus on, and how long where you working in the engineering field? I'm not sure what kind of job I can secure for only two years.

Graduated with a degree in biomedical engineering, worked in pharmaceutical R&D for three years. You're looking at the job search wrong. One does not inform people (nor is one obligated to do so) that one is looking for another job/grad school/med school until you are a) sure you're leaving or b) must give 2 weeks notice. Of course you will mess up your hirability if it's clear you don't want to be there. I did all interviews on my vacation time and my boss got told that I was leaving a few months before I did (after holding multiple offers).