premed experiences and residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singularity2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In cleaning up my resume and attempting to construct a preliminary CV, on which I will add relevant experiences as they come during medical school, I was wondering about whether my premed clinical experiences and extracurricular activities are "relevant" anymore. For all you medical students, should these experiences be included in applications for residency? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Doubtful. Unless it's research it's off the new CV.

I too have heard that it's acceptable to list premed research on residency applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too have heard that it's acceptable to list premed research on residency applications.
Only if you published it. Much like diamonds, publications are forever. However, use your discretion. If you published in a no-name journal, and the article is something that obviously sounds like fluff, you might want to leave it off. Or if there were 32 authors, and you were #27.

In cleaning up my resume and attempting to construct a preliminary CV, on which I will add relevant experiences as they come during medical school, I was wondering about whether my premed clinical experiences and extracurricular activities are "relevant" anymore. For all you medical students, should these experiences be included in applications for residency? Thanks

Paying jobs and publications get listed for sure. Everything else is not going to have much impact.

what if the research is published on a school's journal and got an award?