Premed-freshmen year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupcake12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in gen chem w lab, gen bio lab, calc 1, theo, and writing
for my fall semester freshmen year. I am worried i am not going to be able to do well for my g.p.a. Do u think taking bio, calc, and chem this year is a good idea. I am currently thinking about taking calc out and replacing it with pre-calc or soci 101 or psych 101. What do u think will be best change?

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably drop either calc 1 or the theo class. At my school, your current schedule equates to 18 credits, which is a lot for a freshman!! Drop one of your classes, join a club, play a sport, go to the gym, make some friends, volunteer, or get some partying in :) You have 4 years to stuff your schedule with classes. Make sure you can handle the adjustment to college, get good grades, and have fun!

Think hard about doing calc or pre-calc. Don't bother taking pre-calc if you're ready for calc, and don't take calc if you're not.

I think your schedule looks fine for a sophomore, but it's not going to be easy. I fear that you don't have a good handle on how much you'll need to work to achieve a high GPA with that schedule. It's definitely do-able, and likely by you, but I wouldn't suggest a schedule like that for somebody who has never taken college classes before. Take it easy first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id drop one of the classes.... Either Bio or Calc (and delay it for a semester). First semester is a big transition and there are alot of other things as Caffein3 mentioned you should be focusing on as opposed to loading courses.

start slow and escalate. you'll want to take as light of a load as possible without actually taking 12 credits (that could potentially look bad unless you backed it up with a lot of ECs that semester) so that you can focus on getting solid As and most importantly, nailing the material down so that you know it like the back of your hand.

I would drop Calc and take that over the summer at a local CC (not all schools take online credit)

Everyone in my major has to take that schedule freshman year -replace theology by philosophy and add a phys ed class- and even though it was reasonable, the people with a weak maths/science background really struggled.

Your call, I suppose. You could push back one of these classes later (namely calculus, because unless you're a math/physics major, it's most likely not a prerequisites for your future courses).

I just finished my first year and took chemistry w/ lab, calc II, gov 100, and art history my first semester. I think it depends on what you are best at and what classes you took in high school in preparation for bio, chem, and calc. Personally I am better at math and science than English/writing. I would drop the theo or writing class cause for me having both of those would be difficult with all the reading/writing with those. Also, not sure if you are living away or not, but I go to school ~3 hrs away from my home and I was homesick for most of my first year which I did not expect. So you might run into things you don't expect, so keep that in mind. Also you are going to want to join clubs and activities so keep that in mind too. Think about your strengths and weaknesses and go with your gut. If you feel you are not ready for calc then maybe it would be such a bad idea to take pre calc. If you think taking 2 sciences and a math is going to be hard and you can handle the reading and writing in soc 101 then maybe that would be best. Personally I would say start with only 4 classes because you are going to have labs too.

You should go slowly and see how it works. My freshmen year, I took only one science class and only 6 classes during the year, when I saw I could handle more, I took two-three more classes the next year.

my current schedule is 15 credits and if i dropped calc it would be only 12, what do u suggest replacing it with ?

I am currently enrolled in gen chem w lab, gen bio lab, calc 1, theo, and writing
for my fall semester freshmen year. I am worried i am not going to be able to do well for my g.p.a. Do u think taking bio, calc, and chem this year is a good idea. I am currently thinking about taking calc out and replacing it with pre-calc or soci 101 or psych 101. What do u think will be best change?

you don't say what math or sciences classes you have taken before, if you have ever seen calculus before ?
someone who had hard classes high school senior year can handle a heavy load freshman year. I started off slow with 15 credits including college algebra my first semester since I had never been to any school, just self taught. Then did 20 credits my second semester freshman year which included calc 1, but there was only one chem lab class. I did reduce to 12 or 13 credits junior year when I had 3 labs and honors classes in a semester , since they took so much time , and to preserve my gpa. By being careful I have kept my 4.0 and am half way through senior year. SO depending on what classes you took last year of high school and how you did in them, that should guide you in what you are capable of.

For your first semester, I wouldn't take more than 15 units, you can always take a summer class or pile them on next semester. But you really want to start strong.

I would highly discourage you from postponing your Chem or Bio classes, start those as soon as you can. Good luck!

Try to get around 16 credits. that way you can drop one if you do bad. At my school if you drop below 12 credit hours they'll start taking away scholarships.

If you took at least one of the three (Chem, Bio, Calc) at AP level in high school, I would argue that you shouldn't have too much trouble handling it the first semester. Not sure what theo is, but I would drop it. I don't understand how you are at 15 credits right now, please provide us with breakdown of credits for each class.

Honestly, drop either the Calc class or one of the other non-science classes. At my school, gen bio and gen chem was only offered in the fall so that would set you back a whole year rather than a semester.

Don't do precal unless you need it - I don't think it counts as the math credit for many schools.