Premed student seeking advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about myself. I'm 19 years old and a Illinois certified EMT B. I was looking to go on to paramedic school but as in life, many goals and priorities change which is why I'm now here! :oops:
I am looking to get into medical school and become the best physician I can be. Starting off, I have a cGPA of 3.4 coming out of my CC with 55 credit hours. Luckily I can still do a great amount of repair to my gpa.(and a lot of damage also...) I know it's not great, but I'll be honest and say that during my first year at college like many. I never studied or cracked a book. This past year, I have definitely changed my ways in terms of studying.

This current semester is a 4.0
With a 98% in my anatomy and physiology class. And As in my other electives.
I am transferring to UIC in the fall and am majoring in biological sciences. if anyone could shed some light on UIC and how it is id greatly appreciate your input! People are telling my that UIC is extremely hard and that As are rare. I'm a little intimidated by this, but not greatly.
I study efficiently and digilently so I don't believe there will be a problem with As and Bs..(organic). I have plenty of resources available including many books, my iPad, and friends who are majoring in both chemistry and physics. I will utilize these to the best of my ability.

As far as clinical experience goes, I am soon to get a job as an ER tech at a nearby hospital. My sister is also a respiratory therapist there.
I am also volunteering over the summer at Christ hospital.
Lastly, I am trying to ride along with a local fire department to gain even more experience. (my original plan was paramedic school then >firefighter)

As far as the MCAT goes. Once again, there are many resources I have available to me. I am also a naturally good test taker and feel that the only thing I'm missing from taking the mcat is the general knowledge base I will obtain during my premedical science classes.

Is there any other advice someone would like to input? I'm not looking to get into a top 10 school but I'm also not trying to go DO or caribbean either. I am also of Hispanic descent born in the US. So I am considered URM I believe? Please no hate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you have a great plan going. Keep bringing up that GPA, rock the MCAT, continue with clinical experiences. Try out research (clinical or basic science) - it's definitely not a requirement, but the majority of accepted students have done some kind of research, so it's good to have. Also look into clubs/non-profits/etc that you can join and gain leadership experience. Do whatever you're passionate about, especially if it's unique, because that will set you apart from the cookie cutter applicants.

I am also of Hispanic descent born in the US. So I am considered URM I believe?

Only if you are of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent. Even if you're not considered URM, Hispanics aren't ORM either, so your ethnicity won't work against you.

Is there any other advice someone would like to input? I'm not looking to get into a top 10 school but I'm also not trying to go DO or caribbean either.

Woohoo, Caribbean mentioned in the same breath as DO :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you got it all down! I'm just starting out so I don't have much advice to give, other than what I've been told from others further along on the medicinal path: MCAT will be the most important as the ADCOMs use it as a prediction of how well you will do on Step I. But don't worry about it too much right now if you haven't taken the classes neccesary to give you a foundational knowledge of the tested subjects. IMHO, the key to success is to pace yourself, stay focused, and take it one day/class at a time. Don't worry or stress about tomorrow's problems and lose focus on overcoming today's. I think you're do great! :)

....Only if you are of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent....

Wooohooo! +2 for me for being Black AND Puerto Rican! Thanks Mom & Dad! Lol just kidding....but seriously woohoo haha! ;)

Thanks for the advice and input everyone! I am Mexican so that would bring me into urm territory then. As far as research goes. Can anyone enlighten me on this topic? Ive heard a lot about research but still have a very vague idea of what it actually is. Thanks again all! :oops:

I just finished my sophmore year at UIC, and am also a biological sciences major. Regarding the course difficulty, it is hard but as long as you study and keep up with the course work you should get an A. I just finished organic chemistry with an A and I did not think it was too bad.

Regarding organic chemsitry. How much did you study and who was your professor? Miranda?

I just finished my sophmore year at UIC, and am also a biological sciences major. Regarding the course difficulty, it is hard but as long as you study and keep up with the course work you should get an A. I just finished organic chemistry with an A and I did not think it was too bad.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone! I am Mexican so that would bring me into urm territory then. As far as research goes. Can anyone enlighten me on this topic? Ive heard a lot about research but still have a very vague idea of what it actually is. Thanks again all! :oops:

I think most people do research through their school/department by working in professors' labs. So just talk to a professor who knows you about opportunities, or read up on professors at your school and if you find someone who has a project you are interested in, email them. I did research through a summer program at a hospital (an SURP), which you apply to. My pre-med club also sends out emails occasionally when there is an opening in a lab on campus or at our hospital. It can be basic science (lab) research, clinical research, or one of the schools I got accepted to said they like to see ANY type of research even if it's not science related.

Thank you. Now I have an idea. I suppose uic is a decent research school? Any other advice? :oops:
I think most people do research through their school/department by working in professors' labs. So just talk to a professor who knows you about opportunities, or read up on professors at your school and if you find someone who has a project you are interested in, email them. I did research through a summer program at a hospital (an SURP), which you apply to. My pre-med club also sends out emails occasionally when there is an opening in a lab on campus or at our hospital. It can be basic science (lab) research, clinical research, or one of the schools I got accepted to said they like to see ANY type of research even if it's not science related.