premed wreck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nervouspremed2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey SDN,
i have 3.53 cGPA and 3.49 sGPA with a 28 MCAT. I am a NJ resident. I have 600+ hours of research, 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, 100+ hours shadowing, 1000+ in community service, 300+ in tutoring. i applied to colleges such as

-Drexel
-NYMC
-UMDNJ
-Commonwealth
-SUNY downstate
-Albany
-Buffalo
-Cooper
-NJMS
-Rosy Franklin
-Maryland
-Penn State
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Hofstra

The only one i have heard back from is Cooper and they rejected me. Any advice for me? btw i was complete with all by around the last week of august/first week of september.

i also added DO schools such as

-UMDNJ
-PCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure what you expected. You are at the lower end of the MD applicant competitiveness pool. Maybe you'll get some II's in February?

Why didn't you go DO heavy at the start of the cycle?

i guess it didn't add when i edited but i also applied to lecom, touro, and nyit

but you think i have no shot at MD schools? looking at schools like penn state the MCAT is a 30 so i thought i would have a shot at the school

btw my committee told me i have great lors

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess it didn't add when i edited but i also applied to lecom, touro, and nyit

but you think i have no shot at MD schools? looking at schools like penn state the MCAT is a 30 so i thought i would have a shot at the school

I didn't say that you had no shot. I said you are at the bottom-level of competitiveness number-wise. If you do interview and get into MD school, it will be later in the cycle.

From your original post, you suggested that you applied to DO schools late in the game. If that's true, you may have shot yourself in the foot from a timing perspective.

i applied mid-august to all those schools. is that too late?

Personally, I think that even if you applied earlier, you'd still get an MD interview much later in the cycle.

I think where you messed up was applying to DO schools late.

Your 28 is hurting you, and I'd rule out Penn, U MD and all the SUNYs as you need to be > avg for OOS public schools. I'm surprised Cooper turned you down. See how this app cycle goes and if shut out, add more DO programs next year, and re-take MCAT ans aim for >30 if you're still interested in MD schools.

hey SDN,
i have 3.53 cGPA and 3.49 sGPA with a 28 MCAT. I am a NJ resident. I have 600+ hours of research, 300+ hours of hospital volunteering, 100+ hours shadowing, 1000+ in community service, 300+ in tutoring. i applied to colleges such as

-Drexel
-NYMC
-UMDNJ
-Commonwealth
-SUNY downstate
-Albany
-Buffalo
-Cooper
-NJMS
-Rosy Franklin
-Maryland
-Penn State
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Hofstra

The only one i have heard back from is Cooper and they rejected me. Any advice for me? btw i was complete with all by around the last week of august/first week of september.

i also added DO schools such as

-UMDNJ
-PCOM

You could still be successful for DO this cycle if you apply to NYCOM and the new Touro NY, but with MD it is a bit late but not necessarily done for.