Premeds too much on image, no substance. Rant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:eyebrow:
So kids taking selfies is a sign of their being unfit to be doctors, then? Okeedokee.

Reactions: 20 users
You're surprised to find narcicistic people among the student population of Boston?

Reactions: 32 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're surprised to find narcicistic people among the student population of Boston?

Harvard is the bestus in the eastus and the westus.

Yeyuh.

Edit: MIT and Wellesley are okey too.

Reactions: 4 users
Lol you could take it literally but I was pretty clear about my real underlying premise but metaphorically yes being more concerned about the selfie than the task at hand is an issue compounded by social media these days. Obviously I'm not speaking literally...
It's not metaphorical then, it's hyperbolic. And your point still doesn't make any sense because you haven't demonstrated that any of your assertions regarding the relationship between egocentrism and selfies/social media usage are true.

Reactions: 5 users
The title of the article honestly irks me because it is suggested that all pre-meds are applying to medical school simply for the image and prestige. I've been working my ass off in college because I thoroughly enjoy the study of the human body as well as aiding individuals in times of need (as seen in my EC list consisting of volunteering, shadowing, and leadership). Not all of us are going for the prestige and image and I hate to be brought down to a level in which, due to my age, I'm suggested to be constantly taking a selfie.
I'm working to kill the MCAT. I'm working on my GPA trend. I'm working to better the lives of individuals and hope to get into medical school to do so for a living. Not all pre-meds are going for the image and prestige.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"speak softly and carry a big stick" is the best way to go about things.

be careful what you ask for...

o-SELFIE-STICK-facebook.jpg

Reactions: 27 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's turn this into a sexy research selfie thread. I would like to see some doctors of nursing show me their "research".

Selfie sticks are hugely popular in other nations such as Japan. Therefore you shouldn't hate on them as it is a cultural difference, and you would be a bigot

It's actually being published in "I don't care it's a rant" monthly. Great figures. Cutting edge stuff. The taking of the pictures and worrying how many likes you'll get of the hospital pic rather than what's going on around you is a metaphor for being so self involved with the image of you providing care that you probably aren't providing it.
:rolleyes:

Before you go judging those students who were taking "selfies" with the hospital logo, perhaps think twice before you make assumptions. Maybe these students had an incredible patient experience that day, maybe they made some long-lasting friendships with other students, maybe they have dreams to work at childrens some day. Regardless of their reason, who are you to judge them?

Reactions: 2 users
Selfie and social media enthusiasts are everywhere. This isn't a problem exclusively with premeds. I understand the frustration, but this is a cultural problem. Kids growing up now are seeing and taught to broadcast everything they do. Why? Because they can, and they can get instant gratification in the form of worthless "likes" or whatever they call them anymore. "Likes" contain zero substance, but every kid wants instant gratification.

Reactions: 11 users
Nah, I'm with OP on this one.

"Work hard in silence. Let success make the noise."

I wouldn't restrict this unfortunate trend to only pre-meds, though. However, I do think it is relatively annoying to see a picture on Facebook of a fellow pre-med student in scrubs and a surgical mask "getting ready to scrub in." It's completely misleading to the general public who have no idea what it is they're doing (shadowing) and only serves to boost the ego of the student.

Not all selfies are bad. Not all pre-meds care too much about image.

Me? I prefer to share my successes with those I love and none other.

I really don't think this thread will find much support on SDN for a couple of reasons:

1) You're describing at least half of the SDN population
2) A lot of posters just enjoy seeing threads bashed (myself included at times)
3) Rants are rants. They are generally unjustified and more often than not unnecessary

I feel ya, OP, but I have an odd feeling I'll be one of the few.

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously though OP, let people have their happiness and let them live their lives, especially if they haven't harmed you. If you think being a doctor will make everyone ascribe to your philosophy, you're in for a rude awakening. You're gonna come up against a lot of the other personalities in residency - some who may be showy, flashy, dickish, but also intensely bright and caring to patients.

So some kids were excited about visiting a great hospital and took a picture and that some how makes them terrible people who are unfit to become a doctor? It sounds like you got some pent up anger issues, if you happen to make it into med school, maybe you'll stop caring about some kids that are excited about healthcare and trying to do something good and instead learn to be happy for them and their interest. Then again it sounds like for some reason you have a superiority complex over them already when you are just delivering some samples, so I can't imagine what you might feel like if you were a med student/resident/attending...

So some kids were excited about visiting a great hospital and took a picture and that some how makes them terrible people who are unfit to become a doctor? It sounds like you got some pent up anger issues, if you happen to make it into med school, maybe you'll stop caring about some kids that are excited about healthcare and trying to do something good and instead learn to be happy for them and their interest. Then again it sounds like for some reason you have a superiority complex over them already when you are just delivering some samples, so I can't imagine what you might feel like if you were a med student/resident/attending...

Now this is over the top

Nah, I'm with OP on this one.

"Work hard in silence. Let success make the noise."

I wouldn't restrict this unfortunate trend to only pre-meds, though. However, I do think it is relatively annoying to see a picture on Facebook of a fellow pre-med student in scrubs and a surgical mask "getting ready to scrub in." It's completely misleading to the general public who have no idea what it is they're doing (shadowing) and only serves to boost the ego of the student.

Not all selfies are bad. Not all pre-meds care too much about image.

Me? I prefer to share my successes with those I love and none other.

I really don't think this thread will find much support on SDN for a couple of reasons:

1) You're describing at least half of the SDN population
2) A lot of posters just enjoy seeing threads bashed (myself included at times)
3) Rants are rants. They are generally unjustified and more often than not unnecessary

I feel ya, OP, but I have an odd feeling I'll be one of the few.

Great points all of them

I’m with OP on this one too. I don’t think they’re trying to make any snap judgements about those individuals at Boston Children’s in particular, but rather showing it as something that reminded them of a frustrating trend in some pre-meds. There ARE people who are in it for the wrong reasons, i.e. looking good to others. Definitely not the majority, but a rather irritating few.

Reactions: 3 users
Now this is over the top
You don't know a single thing about these kids or why they were taking pictures. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them being excited about a great hospital and taking pictures in front of it, at worst they are some kids who want to be involved in healthcare at a great institution. You made an insanely spiteful judgement about them from almost no information, and automatically believe that they aren't fit to become doctors and should be denied in interviews, how stupid is that? Once again you know nothing about them and at least in your mind and online to others, you are treating them like they are terrible people. How are you going to treat unhappy patients, drug addicts, criminals, and everyone else who comes to you if you become a doctor, if you're already on such a high pedestal?

What if one of the kids had their life saved there and they brought their friends back later to show them and they were excited? Sure it's hard to not make judgements about people sometime, but at least consider some alternatives first, or at least don't instantly run to your computer to put them on blast even more for no reason at all.

I agree with your general sentiment OP. I just can’t get with the hipster “I’m in it for the music; you guys are sellouts” vibe.

I’m with OP on this one too. I don’t think they’re trying to make any snap judgements about those individuals at Boston Children’s in particular, but rather showing it as something that reminded them of a frustrating trend in some pre-meds. There ARE people who are in it for the wrong reasons, i.e. looking good to others. Definitely not the majority, but a rather irritating few.

You'd be surprised how many med students there are that went into it for the "wrong reasons". Just let it go and don't care about why others want to be physicians. There's a reason why derm and plastics are so competitive and it isn't because these specialties save the most people....

I bought a car decal today for the med school I'll be attending in August. Rescind my acceptance immediately.

You'd be surprised how many med students there are that went into it for the "wrong reasons". Just let it go and don't care about why others want to be physicians. There's a reason why derm and plastics are so competitive and it isn't because these specialties save the most people....

Please tell me more about how these dermatologists and plastic surgeons went into medicine for the wrong reasons.

Yeah yeah yeah duh, don't get why we can't discuss
Haha. Discussion is always fine, OP.
I agree with your statement that many pre-meds are in it for the wrong reasons. To be honest such people don't really irk me. They kind of amuse me. However, I'm not sure if social media usage/selfie-taking is the way to weed them out. Leave it to the interviewers. After all, it's their job.
Also, "it's always better to be humble" ... tru dat!

Please tell me more about how these dermatologists and plastic surgeons went into medicine for the wrong reasons.

I think I wasn't clear what my point was. Job security, pay and hours are very important for most people and that's fine. I'm just remarking how premeds here spout how they think other premeds don't have good reasons for going into medicine like their own reasons are superior and that they deserve it more.
I give props for the hard work people go through to match into the very competitive specialties. They are competitive for a reason.

Those BCH pre-meds brah.

I bet the kids working at MGH are far superior. The BWH ones are prolly aight. The ones that work at BIDMC, meh. The ones that work at DFCC, yeah... whatever.

I think I wasn't clear what my point was. Job security, pay and hours are very important for most people and that's fine. I'm just remarking how premeds here spout how they think other premeds don't have good reasons for going into medicine like their own reasons are superior and that they deserve it more.
I give props for the hard work people go through to match into the very competitive specialties. They are competitive for a reason.

Yup. This thread is nothing but pretentious

Those BCH pre-meds brah.

I bet the kids working at MGH are far superior. The BWH ones are prolly aight. The ones that work at BIDMC, meh. The ones that work at DFCC, yeah... whatever.
I know one guy that is volunteering at BCH and... He's sort of an entitled brat. Maybe you're on to something.

But I think it's unfair to start beating up pre-meds when they've just started their quest. Many pre-meds start this process fairly young, and it just takes time for them to mellow out and mature. It's not wrong for anyone to get excited about the medical field either. . . so long as they stay well informed of the rigorous expectations (which also takes time).

I was being facetious....

Last edited:

You made it into a competitive specialty, ergo you're a bad human being that only cares about money lol

Most of the kids I know think plastics is all Beverly hills face lifts and derm is just pimple popping for teens. I've noticed that the people who know the least tend to talk the most ****

Because the only acceptable specialty is pediatric Infectious disease. If you don't work at the county hospital and volunteer 8 months pro bono, then you clearly sold out.

Reactions: 3 users