Premeds what were you doing this time last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holy Ghost

Emi Orun
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were you doing this time last year?

I wish you guys will provide us with your eventual resolution to whatever challenges you were going through at that time.

And if you are now a medical student, we will like to congratulate you and know how it is going. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Traveling Europe and preparing to run a half-marathon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking on the 12th grade

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT prep, Wondering if Ill ever get into med school

Reactions: 1 users
Being pissed that I got put on SDN probation

Reactions: 4 users
Sipping some fapple whilst perusing SDN and getting ready to reapply.

Last edited:
-working the same job I am right now...
-trying to write my personal statement
- starting a new volunteer position that is the best

Members don't see this ad :)
One year ago today, where was I? I can't remember. See, I have this condition. I can't make new memories. Everything just fades. It's been this way for a few years now. I live the way most couldn't. Habit and routine make my life possible. Conditioning. Acting on instinct. I've left myself clues - enough to get through each day. Tattoos, photographs.

Today I woke up, and I was in some motel room. I just - I just woke up and was in - in a motel room. There's the key. It felt like maybe it was just the first time I'd been there, but perhaps I'd been there for a week, three months. It's - it's kind of hard to say. I don't - I don't know. It was just an anonymous room.

The last thing I remember is my wife. I don't even know how long she's been gone. It's like I've woken up in bed and she's not here...because she's gone to the bathroom or something. But somehow I just...I just know she's never gonna come back to bed. If I could just...reach over and touch her side of the bed....I would know that it was cold. But I can't. I know I can't have her back. But I don't want to wake up in the morning thinking she's still here. I lie here not knowing how long I've been alone. So how...how can I heal? How am I supposed to heal if I can't...feel time?

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.

Anyway what was the question?

Doin' research, stuntin' hard.

This is getting annoying.

Being a much more naive and idealistic version of my current self.

12th grade and AP cramming

Counting down the days until I got out of the Army.

delivering 3 sudanese babies (triplets, obviously) with my right hand while using my left to make an international call to my PI about my Nature manuscript

Reactions: 4 users
Crying.

(Seriously, clinical depression bites. I'm better now for the most part.)

Beginning to worry about my impending doom on final exams
Worrying about what I would be doing for the summer (my professor didn't get in to me regarding $$ for summer research until the first week of May)
Not realizing my relationship was slowly falling apart

Worrying about the MCAT, worrying about if I'll be able to get into med school, worrying about if the next check will be enough for rent, food and baby formula.

Amazing how much things can change in a year.

Hatin' me supervisor
lmao :lol: poor guy!
Beginnin' to worry about me impendin' doom on final exams
Worryin' about what me would be doin' for t' summer (me professor didn't get in to me regardin' $$ for summer research until t' first week of May)
Not realizin' me relationship was slowly fallin' apart
Thats a hard knock life! Hope you are alright now. I pray you are all right now
deliverin' 3 sudanese babies (triplets, obviously) wit me right hand while usin' me left to make an international call to me PI about me Nature manuscript
whoa! u for realz dude?
Worryin' about t' MCAT, worryin' about if me'll be able to get into med school, worryin' about if t' next check will be enough for rent, food and baby formula.

Amazin' how much things can change in a year.
Yup! Someone told me, life can change in a minute. I pray things are all okay now and in better state
Cryin'.

(Seriously, clinical depression bites. me be better now for t' most part.)
Sending you loads of love! I was crying at this time too last year - relationship issues. I was in the lowest of low. I am all set now tho.

probs 'yerkin offf

Reactions: 6 users
One year ago today, where was me? me can't remember. See, me have this condition. me can't make new memories. Everythin' just fades. it be been this way for a few years now. me live t' way most couldn't. Habit and routine make me life possible. Conditionin'. Actin' on instinct. me've left myself clues - enough to get through each day. Tattoos, photographs.

Today me woke up, and me was in some motel room. me just - me just woke up and was in - in a motel room. thar's t' key. It felt like maybe it was just t' first time me'd been thar, but perhaps me'd been thar for a week, three months. it be - it be kind of hard to say. me don't - me don't know. It was just an anonymous room.

t' last thin' me remember be me wife. me don't even know how long she's been gone. it be like me've woken up in bed and she's not here...because she's gone to t' bathroom or somethin'. But somehow me just...me just know she's never gonna come back to bed. If me could just...reach over and touch her side of t' bed....me would know that it was cold. But me can't. me know me can't have her back. But me don't want to wake up in t' mornin' thinkin' she's still here. me lie here not knowin' how long me've been alone. So how...how can me heal? How am me supposed to heal if me can't...feel time?

me have to believe in a world outside me own mind. me have to believe that me actions still have meanin', even if me can't remember them. me have to believe that when me eyes be closed, t' world's still thar. Do me believe t' world's still thar? be it still out thar?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we be. me be no different.

Anyway what was t' question?
This is deep yo! Hope you are okay now

stressing over MCAT, a grad molecular bio course, my application, and a backup plan if i don't get in. the pre med advisers at my school tried everything to get me to take a year off, they said i was a good applicant but not the best i could be. that induced even more stress, but then i decided that i was ready and no one could tell me otherwise. fast forward a year later, i got in one of my top choices :)

2574492.jpg

Trying to lose weight to get into my super tight skinny jeans :rolleyes:

One year ago today, where was I? I can't remember. See, I have this condition. I can't make new memories. Everything just fades. It's been this way for a few years now. I live the way most couldn't. Habit and routine make my life possible. Conditioning. Acting on instinct. I've left myself clues - enough to get through each day. Tattoos, photographs.

Today I woke up, and I was in some motel room. I just - I just woke up and was in - in a motel room. There's the key. It felt like maybe it was just the first time I'd been there, but perhaps I'd been there for a week, three months. It's - it's kind of hard to say. I don't - I don't know. It was just an anonymous room.

The last thing I remember is my wife. I don't even know how long she's been gone. It's like I've woken up in bed and she's not here...because she's gone to the bathroom or something. But somehow I just...I just know she's never gonna come back to bed. If I could just...reach over and touch her side of the bed....I would know that it was cold. But I can't. I know I can't have her back. But I don't want to wake up in the morning thinking she's still here. I lie here not knowing how long I've been alone. So how...how can I heal? How am I supposed to heal if I can't...feel time?

I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.

Momento, solid movie.

Senioritis and partying before college and the real world began

This time last year, I was on a waitlist with no acceptances

This year, I am on 2 waitlists with no acceptances :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
Living in my car bouncing across the US. Staying with college friends and discovering that I'd neglected to look into the career path that I've come to realize is my passion.

Past MJ was such a dick. Every year I find myself reliving that same sentiment, which has brought me to the conclusion that I might, in fact, just be a dick.

Reactions: 3 users
Finishing organic 2 and post Bach... And chilling

Studying for a 3rd time MCAT retake, working full time, cramming in volunteer hours, stressing over being waitlisted....

Finishing off biochem
Finishing off clinical research
Drafting AMCAS personal statement
Giving up on the idea of drafting secondaries

What if I told you that college is not the real world?
morpheus.png

What if I told you that most people on this forum never experience the real world at all. They just hop from one bubble of privilege and inclusion to the next, oblivious to anything outside the tiny sphere of "reality" they have crafted in their minds.

Reactions: 9 users
Two things:
Enjoying my senior year
Panicking and realizing that I probably won't get an MD acceptance in my first application try (I got in this time/2nd try!).

Past MJ was such a dick. Every year I find myself reliving that same sentiment, which has brought me to the conclusion that I might, in fact, just be a dick.

I too, am a dick.

I too, am a dick.
I like.
Studying for a 3rd time MCAT retake, working full time, cramming in volunteer hours, stressing over being waitlisted....
Hope you are okay now :)
Living in my car bouncing across the US. Staying with college friends and discovering that I'd neglected to look into the career path that I've come to realize is my passion.
This is awesome right here, right now. Realization is the beginning of enlightenment or whatever wise quotation i am looking for ...u know what i mean. Congrats dear friend. Hope you are okay with the current status of your career now :)