Prep course ends early August, when to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SacTu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently in a post-bacc master's program and enrolled in an MCAT prep course as part of it that ends August 5th. I'm currently enrolled in an MCAT in July 6th, but am contemplating on postponing it until August 16th. I know I'll probably get a higher score if I postpone it, but if I do that, I'll get the scores back September 16th which seems significantly more late.

What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

It probably depends on how you are performing now, and what your realistic target score is.

Sending in your applications in September is probably not a good idea if you can avoid it, but it's not the end of the world, especially if you are quick about getting everything else in on schedule.

A third option would be to delay your application until next year, if you feel you are really pressed for time.

Would it be a bad thing to take it twice - once in July and once in August? I have already taken the MCAT once. Delaying my app until next year is a highly unfavorable option.

I'm just in the dilemma of taking it in July or August... perhaps in July I may be able to pull of a 29 or 30, but with my 3.24 GPA, in August I might be able to push a few more points than that.

Would it be a bad thing to take it twice - once in July and once in August? I have already taken the MCAT once. Delaying my app until next year is a highly unfavorable option.

I'm just in the dilemma of taking it in July or August... perhaps in July I may be able to pull of a 29 or 30, but with my 3.24 GPA, in August I might be able to push a few more points than that.

If you've taken the MCAT already, that's a different story, as you already have certain expectations for the test. I think taking it three times in such a short time span won't reflect too positively on your application, especially without significant improvement or some disaster that happened on your test day.

You still have time before your test in July, so why not put in the extra effort now? In my experience, a few extra weeks does not necessarily equal productive study time.

Perhaps you could put in the extra work now, then reevaluate yourself at the end of this month to see how you feel and how you are doing on practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have a week to be able to cancel my July test and get a full refund (via Federal Assistance Program). Perhaps I'll just take a practice exam on the 21st, and if I'm not within 3 points of what I want, then I'll have to postpone it until August.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input.

Yeah, I have a week to be able to cancel my July test and get a full refund (via Federal Assistance Program). Perhaps I'll just take a practice exam on the 21st, and if I'm not within 3 points of what I want, then I'll have to postpone it until August.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input.

Good idea.

yeah, i have a week to be able to cancel my july test and get a full refund (via federal assistance program). Perhaps i'll just take a practice exam on the 21st, and if i'm not within 3 points of what i want, then i'll have to postpone it until august.

Thanks a lot, i appreciate the input.

good luck!