Preparation for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumbydammit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a student planning to attend medical school this fall, does anyone have any advice as to best prepare myself for the academic rigors soon to bombard me?

Members don't see this ad.

Take a break. Go on a vacation. Do something fun this summer. I think the best way to "prepare" is to enter medschool refreshed and revitalized.

Anyways, I'm in the same position, so if anyone has a different opinion, please let me know.

2 words - re lax.

I think that you should enjoy being able to watch TV or do nothing instead of reading text for several hours every night. Go on a vacation. If you are so inclined some schools have summer programs for students to get into a clinic and shadow. I worked with a surgeon before I was accepted. He told me that when I get accepted that he would let me get to some cuttin and stichin. Alas, other obligations made me move on prior to that.

Geo

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the same thing I am doing to prep for residency - relax, have fun, go on trips, watch lots of tv, take naps, spend time on SDN, get good at Photoshop!

If there are any projects you have been meaning to get to now is a good time, but in general I would suggest just taking it easy.

Agreed, lay back and enjoy the summer. Let your mind turn to mush. Don't worry, it will warm up again once the onslaught begins this fall!
wink.gif
Read fluffy books, travel, lay in the sun, go to the beach, live it up! And good luck, Mango MS-1

I really, really, really like the original poster's username.
smile.gif

With that said, I am going to catch up on Saturday Night Live and other classics on the Comedy Channel, maybe take some Spanish classes or cooking classes (all fun stuff), look for housing. The vast majority of med students I have talked to have said to NOT try and study/prep biochem, mol bio, etc., or to do research. Things will get serious again soon enough.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I love you all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gumbydammit:

How about my situation? I deffered for a year and feel like I don't remember anything. In fact, I forgot what actin meant when I saw something about it on tv. I'm sure alcohol has dimmed me a little bit, but the intellectual inactivity over the past ten months has got me worried. Any tips or suggestions on how to mitigate the pain I am sure to face upon entry into med school?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gumbydammit:

How about my situation? I deffered for a year and feel like I don't remember anything. In fact, I forgot what actin meant when I saw something about it on tv. I'm sure alcohol has dimmed me a little bit, but the intellectual inactivity over the past ten months has got me worried. Any tips or suggestions on how to mitigate the pain I am sure to face upon entry into med school?

so would you all advise against prematriculation programs? I'm signed up for one at my school - it's six weeks (roughly the first half of my summer) and seemed like a good way to get started on some stuff w/o too much pressure. Also a chance to get moved in so I can spend the second half of my summer on vacation. What do people think about this? Unnecessary? Better just to relax for the full three months? I'd like to hear some opinions. Thanks

I did a 9 week premed program at my school the summer before i started. It was so very stressful, but I have to admit, It made biochem so easy. There are advantages, but if you have a strong science background, dont waste your time. Med school has so much more detail than what is covered in these classes, although at the time i didnt see how this was possible.

I personally am glad I did the summer course. It will put you at an advantage somewhat in the fact that you may save several hours of studying. However if you feel confident in your ability to do well in medical school, which you probably will, the choice is up to you.

6 weeks isnt really that much time, and if you are having doubts, what harm would it be to go ahead and take the class????

------------------
~Pegasus~

Definitely enjoy the summer!! Do something fun (if you have the time and don't have to work etc), take a trip, read some fun books, spend good time with family.

While I know most people think they should get some studying done over the summer, it's really not necessary (unless you're one of those pesky gunners).

Enjoy your time. Trust me, you'll have more than enough time to kill yourself with the work in med school. Quite honestly, I don't think any program, prep course, or major cram session can prepare you for medical school. That was my thinking anyway. Do something you enjoy, work someplace non-medical, TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS, and things of that nature. Once med school starts you won't have time to do any of these things. In college at least you got to pick your classes and stuff. In med school they give you subjects and tell you when to take the exam. I don't know how true this is for other people but I "learned" how to study in med school during the first couple of exams. You'll encounter a volume of info and new subjects that you haven't seen before. bottom line = your days as a free citizen - PARTY!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
All of you are wrong. The only was to ensure success next fall is to spend the summer craming for biochem and anatomy. I suggest you acquire your own cadaver and practice disection before school starts. Make sure not to waste weekends either.

Buy Robbin's pathologic basis of disease and read it cover to cover, twice.

This thread died in 2001....

I would just relax because it is not important at all to hit the ground running once school starts. You will do fine, but even if you didn't do so great at first, it wouldnt even matter. The grades during your first two years don't matter as long as you pass. The time when you need to psych yourself up and be well prepared is towards the end of second year when you are about to take boards. I know so many people who were really gung ho at the beginning of first year and have slowly worn down, and now, when it actually matters (boards study time is here) they are worn out and have no motivation.

Seriously, just have fun and enjoy your summer before school starts.

I was wondering why Winged Scapula said he was preparing for residency. What's with these ancient threads popping up lately? Quit the forum necromancy please.

At least people are using the search function.

I was like "Winged Scapula preparing for residency?" Then I noticed the date.

This thread died in 2001....
WTF?

Either the SDN database messed up or someone deleted their post after they realized this thread was from 2001, because it was definitely on the front page when I replied.

lol...you got sloppy seconds on some necro-lovin. That's just wrong.

WTF?

Either the SDN database messed up or someone deleted their post after they realized this thread was from 2001, because it was definitely on the front page when I replied.

WIZARD!

wizard.jpg

For those just out of college my advice comes from where most of my wisdom comes from, Futurama. In the words of professor Farnsworth..."Get a job you penniless hippies."

Yea. I was reading along and then saw wingedscapula and was like "wait, she just finished up her fellowship and is in the real world now"

Kind of funny. I can't wait till I'm about to enter residency and have an old thread with some of my comments on it. That is, if I don't get banned JPH style. :p