Preparation time and method NBDE Part -1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enamel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I would like some input about the amount of time required to study for NBDE Part - 1. I just want to pass and I work full time Monday through Friday . So I basically need to get back home and study.

So to pass, realistically how short / long the study period can be ?

Some say 4 weeks will do if you put in like 15 - 21 hrs a week is that true?

I can put in more hours but want to be done soon and not prolong this agony over months.

Please suggest !

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the person (you) and your background. I spent 5-6 hours a day for about 5 days over Thanksgiving break, then didn't study anything until winter breaks (because of finals). During winter break I studied 4-5 hours a day for the first week, then about 6-8 the second week (4 or 5 days)(did not study on any Holidays). I took my test the 5th and got my results back (passed) so it worked for me. There is a wide range in the amount of time studied in my class. Many of us only took the 2-3 weeks as I did, some have/will be taking much more time.

My school is not a "boards" school. Many schools teach their students "how to pass boards" and some even give students time off to study, mine does not, so you must take that into account when figuring out how much you'll need to study, as well. I would suggest signing up for a test date, then start studying each night/day for the amount of time you have decided will get you prepared. As you get closer to the test date you can accurately judge how close you are in terms of where you want to be, and if you need to you can increase the amount of study if you don't feel you will reach your goal. Worst case scenario is you reschedule your test and pay $25 if you feel you absolutely won't be ready.

I should add, I'm no genius in dental school haha. I'm easily mid-rank in my class, lower top 50% probably. So my "small" amount of time, compared to the threads where you read people saying they studied for 4 months at 15-20hrs a day, isn't because I'm one of those lucky people who are just smart and don't need to study a lot :thumbup: Hopefully that helps you with how much you'll need to study, a little