Preparing for the MCAT: Pod style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc_Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we do not need the same scores as medical school applicants, what would be a reasonable way to prepare for the MCAT to get the scores we need?

Could I just get exam crackers or some other prep book as well as old exams and go over all of that for the next 3-4 months everyday?

What methods have you used with success? How should preparing for the exam change with the new format?

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how much you know and how good of a test taker you are.

I don't know what kind of MCAT score you want to have for pod school, but you might be able to just run through some review books, take 1 or 2 practice tests, and call it a day.

Do a little review and take an AAMC practice tests, see where you are.

Depends on how much you know and how good of a test taker you are.

I don't know what kind of MCAT score you want to have for pod school, but you might be able to just run through some review books, take 1 or 2 practice tests, and call it a day.

Do a little review and take an AAMC practice tests, see where you are.

Any review books you would recommend?

And I would be solid with a 22-24. I guess that translates to ~500 on the new scoring system??

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Exam Krackers because it was brief content review. I'm not really sure about the new material on the new MCAT though. I hit 30+ on a practice AAMC without doing any review, and ended up getting a 35 on the real deal after the EK review and several more AAMC practice tests. Your mileage will obviously vary.

Cool. I guess I will start with EK and some practice exams. Really do not need to take the exam until September so plenty of time. Anything else you would recommend seeing as I have plenty of time?

A word of advice: study hard for the MCAT and get the highest score you can. This will involve time and $ (books, prep courses, etc.). I say this because many, if not all, podiatry schools offer significant scholarships to high-stat applicants. The provided scholarships for a higher score will easily offset the invested time and $ just in the first year and it is not at all common, but there are podiatry students with 30+ MCAT scores who are reaping the benefits.

Reactions: 6 users
Translated as: I really don't feel like studying or working hard. Good luck with getting through school or obtaining a residency. Getting in is the easy part....

Reactions: 6 users
You should get the highest score possible. It is not an exam that you can just look through few books and get 27 (which is good for all Pod Schools). Especially, even if you score 30 on practice ones, does not mean you will need to get same on a real one. Also, good MCAT can give you good scholarships and prepare for Boards. MCAT score is good predictor how well you will do on your boards. So, I agree with dyk343, if you do not put effort before even you got in, how do you expect to succeed in school?

Also, the difference between a 25 and 20 can be just a few questions wrong in each section. If you study just enough to hit that 25 mark, come test day you may score MUCH lower.

For the old MCAT version, I studied the set of Kaplan books for a few months. I found them on Amazon for a pretty discounted price. Each section/chapter for each book/subject has some questions and there are also 3 question sets at the end of each book with explanations of the right answers. I'd say a good bit of learning has to do with you not necessarily knowing facts but being able to apply them. Studying for 3-4 months while working and taking paid for practice tests got me a 27, but that was before they added new test material. Good luck!!

Shoot for the stars and land on the moon. Prepare as if you are trying to get a perfect score. If you fall short, at least you prepared adequately. Don't go in with a below average score in mind. It will more than likely hurt you in the long-run. The MCAT is a test you only want to take ONCE! It's too long and too expensive to play around. Good luck on your test.

You should take all practice test available to you especially the AAMC released exams. I used "The Gold Standard MCAT" book and videos along with the Kaplan review books. The videos helped me a lot. They're dry, but very worth it for material reinforcement.

Agree with what was said above ^^

I have heard good things about youtube channel Khan academy. There is a new MCAT 2015 section, it's free. Youtube videos were very helpful to me. I'd take notes, memorize key vocab, and try to explain the concepts out loud. Another tip I found helpful was to write out diagrams over and over. Seek out as many mnemonics as you can, and be able to recite them in your sleep.

Exam crackers had some excellent practice questions. When I prepped, there were 5 books out there, 1001 questions in biology, gen chem, ochem, physics, and 101 passages in verbal. Do all of the questions and passages. Commit solid time prepping for several hours each day. Commit to at least 5 practice AAMC tests, and review ALL wrong and right answers. There are some good study plan calendars on SDN in the MCAT forums. Don't study at all during the last 3 days before the test.

The MCAT is a beast. I spent many tears on this test :scared:
It is foolish to go in thinking it'll be easy to get a "pod" score. Try your hardest! Good luck :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I completely agree with PatchAdamsFan and dyk343. This is medical school you are applying too! This is NOT an easy route for a profession. Bare minimum may get you by, but I don't know how many people want a bare minimum doctor (?) And I am truly saying this in the nicest way possible and only to motivate you!

This is what I did: I studied all last summer (3 months) and used The Berkeley Review. That material worked for me along with practice exams. I personally wanted to learn in-depth, but the MCAT is about strategy - not particularly how much you know. Make sure you are spending your time thoroughly reviewing not only what you got wrong but what you got right. Practicing questions and passages will be your BEST bet. And this is why I liked TBR because they reviewed every question and answer and why the wrong choices were wrong and why the right choice was right. I studied at least six hours a day (I would try to hit 6-8 hours) while working 20 hours a week and still managing to shadow/volunteer. I wish I had tweaked my time management just a little better because I got a 25 (which I am proud of because I worked very hard studying with no prep-courses or help expect for the student doctor MCAT forum).

And yes, you can get scholarships just alone with a high MCAT and GPA.

Good luck! Use the resources on here and don't procrastinate!

Reactions: 1 users