Preparing to Reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungBrev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently going through this application cycle for both DO and MD schools and am receiving much more bad news than good news. Because of this, I am already trying to prepare for bettering my application for next cycle.

I'm graduating in December with a degree in Human Physiology. I have good letters of recommendation, I have very good extracurriculars, but I have done no research, and my 1st MCAT 499 (126, 125, 125, 123), cGPA 3.15, sGPA about the same. I have plenty of shadowing experience, both with MD and DO. If I do well this semester I should be able to raise my GPA to over 3.2, maybe to 3.25.

Trying to put together a little bit of a plan for the future, but it's somewhat hard considering I don't know if I will get in somewhere this cycle so I can't commit to anything yet. I should have a much better idea about my chances come Christmas time. If by then I don't get in, my ideas are:
-(definitely) retake the MCAT in the spring.
-(maybe) get a research job and work from this winter into the summer of 2017.
-(maybe) take 2 science courses while working part time, like biochem and advanced anatomy or something.
-(maybe) take a full semester of classes {not particularly in favor of this}.
-(maybe) get a full-time job in a healthcare setting.

Basically, I was looking for some advice on how to successfully reapply. I'm very open to ideas, and would love to hear advice from successful applicants and reapplicants. Any advice would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a plan! To convince MD schools that you can handle med school, you really should do a SMP, or take a least a year's worth of challenging courses (ie, a DIY post-bac).

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Thanks @Goro! Is it worth applying to those programs now (for the class of 2017)? Even though I might still get into a medical school? Also, is there any programs you would recommend. The location isn't really an issue for me, I'm more focused on the best program for molding a successful reapplication!

Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools yes; MD schools, no.

Thanks @Goro! Is it worth applying to those programs now (for the class of 2017)? Even though I might still get into a medical school? Also, is there any programs you would recommend. The location isn't really an issue for me, I'm more focused on the best program for molding a successful reapplication!

Reactions: 1 user

Your number one goal at all costs is to do well. Both on the MCAT and in your academics, wherever you might do your post-bac work. So while it sounds cliche, go wherever gives you the best shot to do well. DIY post-baccs at your school for many are the most feasible to do well in as you compete with grades with undergrads, many of whom are far less motivated than you, in full college mode or lack discipline or direction/have any idea what they are doing. On top of that you get to pick your own classes and can avoid any god awful or brutally difficult professors with unreasonable standards.

If you want guidelines stats wise this might help

DO your GPA can work at some programs. Ideally 3.3+/3.3+ would be best. Taking more post-bacc classes and retaking any C's or lower can allow your GPA to skyrocket for DO standards. MCAT wise likewise a 499 might be able to sneak you in somewhere but its a better bet on the retake to aim for 505+

MD retaking doesn't serve much purpose and there is a need to take a number of post-bacc upper level science classes and ace them. GPA wise try and aim for at least a 3.4/3.4 breakdown or as close to that as possible. MCAT wise on the retake given you already have one substandard score the goal has to be at the bare minimum 510+ and honestly 514+ is what you really want to target.

@GrapesofRath thanks! So much helpful information! So DIY post-baccs are basically just taking classes (upper-level science?) from any university? Is there a certain amount of credits I need to take? Do online classes, like a biochemistry class, look bad?

@GrapesofRath thanks! So much helpful information! So DIY post-baccs are basically just taking classes (upper-level science?) from any university? Is there a certain amount of credits I need to take? Do online classes, like a biochemistry class, look bad?

I wouldn't do online if it were me. I took an online english class at my university, and I found out while applying this cycle that many schools will not take online courses, ESPECIALLY in hard science courses.

Well will it show up on your transcript as an online class? But yes in general if you want to prove you can handle the rigors of medical school which is your goal when you do a post-bacc taking online science classes isn't the way I would go about doing so.

But yes to answer your question, a DIY post-bacc you enroll in a university, either the one you went to or a local one or anywhere, and take upper level science courses. The whole point of this is to raise your GPA and establish an upward trend to prove you can handle med school. Ideally, you would want to do this for several semesters(at least 2) taking a number of upper level science classes. Obviously as a post-bac you have other responsibilities so its not imperative to take say 18 credits a semester but do as much as you can handle and above all else do well. Like I said try and calculate out what you need to do to raise your GPA to a certain point(say to 3.4) and how many classes it would take. 2-3 semesters involving 3-4 upper level science classes that will allow you to raise your GPA and establish an upward trend(which you could combine with this semester if you do well this fall) would help your case alot.

Of course the MCAT is just as important as this; it's imperative to give as much prep time as you can and need to get a competitive score.

I had an interview coach give me great advice on how to answer for my lack of research. She advised I explain how I am very interested in research and want to participate in research to obtain a better appreciation and understanding of that side of medicine. Also, to mention how research will enhance my ability to comprehend medical literature. In most of my interviews I was either asked about my lack of experience or addressed my lack of research at the end of the interview (if the school is known to be a research school or to care about research experience). Definitely got some impressed looks and scribbling on note pads.