Prepharm questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfg123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been contemplating pharm for a while now, I have about a 3.3 cumulative gpa with a 3.0 science gpa. Haven't taken the PCAT yet, but I am registered to take it soon. Just wondering if my GPA was in the ball park for pharm admissions. Also, I'm a little worried as some people have advised me that the market is going down and it is just a big waste of time and money, as people are now struggling to get jobs. Is this true, should I look at other options? I realize my grades aren't that great for medicine/dentistry. What other professional schools should I look into? Thanks for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would suggest looking into going into a field that you want/genuinely interested in. Just a P1 here, but I think the job market is just the same as any other field it's just that it definitely is getting saturated compared to what it was with the boom in retail pharmacy.

Don't go into something just having money as your motive, you'll have to show commitment and interest in whatever you apply yourself to. Regarding your GPA, it is definitely under my state institution's average of 3.6-3.7. But schools look other things such as your interview if you get one, PCAT, pharmacy or work experience, extracurricular.

I would suggest looking into going into a field that you want/genuinely interested in. Just a P1 here, but I think the job market is just the same as any other field it's just that it definitely is getting saturated compared to what it was with the boom in retail pharmacy.

Don't go into something just having money as your motive, you'll have to show commitment and interest in whatever you apply yourself to. Regarding your GPA, it is definitely under my state institution's average of 3.6-3.7. But schools look other things such as your interview if you get one, PCAT, pharmacy or work experience, extracurricular.

It's not that I'm not interested!! I have been thinking about it for about 2 years and was very set on applying. I just have gotten advice from people over and over scaring me from the field, and saying I won't have a job after graduation. I'd love to be a pharmacist but I'm scared of spending so much money and going through 4 years and end up with no job :/

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that I'm not interested!! I have been thinking about it for about 2 years and was very set on applying. I just have gotten advice from people over and over scaring me from the field, and saying I won't have a job after graduation. I'd love to be a pharmacist but I'm scared of spending so much money and going through 4 years and end up with no job :/
Don't be too afraid pharmacy jobs won't be going away, there will always be a need for them.

I would look into getting an additional degree in computer science, or even learning computer programming on your own, if you don't mind venturing outside of the healthcare field. There is a huge shortage in the field currently, and you can make as much as $100k/year fresh out of school without the additional $150k+ debt and additional 4 years of schooling.

As the economy recovers, the growth in some other fields has outpaced that of pharmacy, which will likely to be saturated with new grads for years to come.

Last edited: