Prepping for a Calculation-Heavy PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxelhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any FLs in particular (besides GS) that are heavy on calculations? Has there really been an increase in the number of calc-heavy qsns and decrease in conceptual PS qsns?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know about this as well. I took TPR's Practice Test 1 and it was VERY heavily conceptual with few calculations, most of which were relegated to the discretes.

All I ever read is that the MCAT has become more conceptual.

The prep companies don't make exams that as good as the official AAMC practice exams, and the prep companies' exams often have questions that require a lot more "calculation" and "plug-n-chug" than the actual MCAT exam.

AAMC will also sometimes make a question look very calculation heavy when in reality it could be solved conceptually very quickly

Reactions: 2 users
i just took the 7/12 exam and prior to that had been averaging 9-11's on ps for the ammc's and mine was a big mix of conceptual and calculations. I had one passage that was all calculations, and then another where it was straight conceptual. There were quite a few wordy questions, but the concepts they were testing were pretty basic. At least I hope :p (getting my score back in 2 weeks )