Prereqs for med school.. Nursing student

Karen Grant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am aware that doing a bachelors in Nursing will not cover all of the courses I will be needing to prepare me for the MCAT. This being said, I plan on taking an extra year or two if needed in order to finish the needed courses.

My question is this: what level of bio, chem, physics, math and biochem would sufficiently prepare me for the MCAT?

And if anyone could be of any help, what kind of extracurriculars should I be involved in? I do volunteer but not in anything related to healthcare.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You need intro bio 1/2, chem 1/2, organic 1/2, physics 1/2, sociology, intro biochem, psychology and 1-2 math courses depending on the school.

Try to start volunteering in a hospital if you can. Also, shadowing a doctor is a good way to getting exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heed the above advice. Also, continue your non-clinical volunteering. The general consensus is that your major doesn't matter for med school, but I've always understood that nursing major would raise some questions about why you want to go into medicine rather than the somewhat depleted nursing field. So be sure you can answer that on an interview, if it comes up.

Reactions: 1 user
You need intro bio 1/2, chem 1/2, organic 1/2, physics 1/2, sociology, intro biochem, psychology and 1-2 math courses depending on the school.

This, plus take the intro science courses that are for science majors. The nursing equivalent class doesn't count, and some schools have science intro courses for non-science majors, which are easier and also don't count. If you need help figuring out what class that is at your school just ask around or talk to the department.

ECs - clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing doctors. Also, eventually try to get a leadership position in there, or I just thought of one of my volunteer things as leadership since it involved moderating a support group.