Prereqs Online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amjmmkd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I am a non-traditional student pursuing my postbac courses. I am finishing my M.P.H. this year and I work in the non profit field around the intersection of infectious disease and recent immigrants. A brief history to contextualize: I had a rough beginning in undergraduate for 2 semesters, but after transferring schools, graduated with a 3.49 GPA from the latter university, was on the Dean's list, the honors society for my humanities major, was a teaching assistant, was twice chosen to present my research at conferences, and pursued multiple internships (related to healthcare, but more on the policy/advocacy side) and received excellent recommendation letters. Since then, I have been working and pursuing my Masters. Before beginning my postbac sequence, I had only fulfilled the following science/math courses: Statistics (B+), Biostatistics at Graduate Level (A-), "The Human Body" (Introductory Biology Course: B+, Lab A-, 4 Credits). This past semester, I completed Gen Chem I with a C+ and what the school (a small, very selective liberal arts school specializing in the sciences) typifies as the first Biology course for the premed track with a B-. I, as well as many other students in similar positions, are experiencing anxiety around the school's somewhat notorious lack of grade inflation when juxtaposed with some other institutions. However, I am hoping that the school's reputation will be of some consideration and that medical schools/osteopathic schools policy on "C or better" is because they actually do accept Cs! :) However, this presents an additional challenge in maintaining momentum on the trajectory itself as Orgo is obviously contingent upon maintaining a C or better in Gen Chem.

I am running into a dilemma at the moment with the withdrawal (with no W) deadline and my Gen Chem II course. I am stuck in a bad class. The professor has a bad reputation on campus and is barely audible. He doesn't put his notes online and furthermore, it is his last semester teaching. I tried desperately to get into the other section, as I had heard scathing reviews about this professor, but I have been trying to make the best of his class. I've gone to office hours and help sessions. However, I just got my exam grade back, and I failed the exam at about 30 points lower than the average. I am definitely not blaming that score on his bad teaching! The course says that calc is not a prereq, yet the professor uses calc symbols and equations to solve the kinetics problems. I tried to keep up, but I just couldn't learn the material fast enough to be prepared for the exam. Of all the people (undergrads) I've talked to in the class, they have all had calc, furthermore, they JUST had it and most of them are also taking it again now. My aptitude for this material is low to begin with, but I am more than prepared to continue the workhorse ethic that I got through with last semester but I cannot manage learning random calc to get me through a class that is not easy for me to begin with and a professor who is confusing in his style. My question is: Should I drop this class and take Gen Chem II online from a reputable university? (don't worry, not considering for profit?) Does anyone have experience with how those courses are reviewed and their quality as it speaks to preparation for the MCAT? Or, should I stick with the class knowing that kinetics is the most math heavy and hope for the best? I have already spoken with the Professor and he seems inclined to support me should I choose to continue...

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools require general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and biology to be taken with a lab component which you would not have online. That being said, Harvard Extension started teaching physics online with a one week lab intensive designed to cover the entire years course. As far as I can tell, an arrangement like this would be acceptable but I am not an admissions expert.

Thanks a lot GreenDuck, is the lab intensive in person? I am going to do my best to take physics here, but that is good to know. I know some universities offer simulated online labs as well. I will be on the lookout for that if I end up pursuing gen chem online.

Thanks a lot GreenDuck, is the lab intensive in person? I am going to do my best to take physics here, but that is good to know. I know some universities offer simulated online labs as well. I will be on the lookout for that if I end up pursuing gen chem online.

The lab intensive is in person. I recommend the advice about checking MSAR above. You don't want to limit your options of where you can apply to medical school based on online or in person pre-recs. Best of luck!