Prerequisites Completion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deliciousyam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do believe I will complete all my prerequisite courses before the starting date of Optometry school, however when I apply this summer 2013 and I will still need to take Biochem, Microbiology, Human Physiology, and Calculus my senior year. I will be completing them throughout the next year, but will optometry schools by any chance delay my admission process?

Members don't see this ad.

If the programs you are applying to specifically require those classes you may be viewed as a weaker candidate, compared to someone who has similar qualifications and completed those already. However if you have a good GPA and OAT when your file comes across their desk and there is no reason to think you will have any problems I doubt it will be too much of an issue.
Are you planning on taking classes this summer? If not that will help you get some of those knocked out of the way and will make it easier to admit you without them all completed. Good luck.

Hi! It really depends on how good the rest of your application is. If you have a competitive GPA in your other prerequisites and your OAT is somewhat competitive you should be fine. I applied with a 3.5 GPA (3.4 science) and a 330 AA 310 TS OAT which is not the best but still fine... I had yet to complete Biochemistry, Physics 2, Microbiology, and Bio2 Lab (I put that last one off forever) and I still received interviews to all 5 schools I applied to.

It will also depend on what schools you're interested in. I got interviews to all of my schools but I didn't apply to schools like SUNY or berkeley which are harder to get into. I was interested in Nova, SCO, ICO, SCCO, and western. I canceled 2 interviews, went on three, and got accepted to all 3 schools that I interviewed at. [Nova, SCO, SCCO]

Sorry for the novel, I was just worried about the same thing when I applied so I know how you feel and I wanted to put you somewhat at ease :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be accepted contingent you pass those courses before the first day of class.

Great thanks! That helps a lot and it does put me in somewhat of an ease haha!