Prescribing Inotropes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callofthewild

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am on my cardiology rotation and am having trouble coming to grips to prescribing inotropes. Can someone help me with the following:

1. Dobutamine
- What is meant by singe, double triple strength
e.g. consultant asks to prescribe single strength dobutamine, is this 5mcg/kg/hr? and is double strength 10mcg/kg/hr?
- How do you calculate the rate e.g. mg/hr, mg/min

2. Dopamine
e.g. consultant asks to prescribe single strength dobutamine, is this 5mcg/kg/hr? and is double strength 10mcg/kg/hr?

Ive been looking online for a 'dummies' guide to this like in the form of weight of patient, conentration to give and rate to run but am unable to find one - if you know of any good one please let me know.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am on my cardiology rotation and am having trouble coming to grips to prescribing inotropes. Can someone help me with the following:

1. Dobutamine

2. Dopamine

Ive been looking online for a 'dummies' guide to this like in the form of weight of patient, conentration to give and rate to run but am unable to find one - if you know of any good one please let me know.

Thanks.

I am not familiar with the terminology single, double, and triple strength. Where I practice (in the US) we prescribe based upon mcg/kg/min for both dopamine and dobutamine.

I would term dopamine <= 5 mcg/kg/min low dose, >5 and < 10 moderate, and > 15 high, but that is arbitrary.

I would term dobutamine <= 2.5 mcg/kg/min low, > 2.5 < 10 moderate, and > 10 high, but that is even more arbitrary.

Are you in a commonwealth country?

p diddy

Usually as a resident when prescribing inotropes inpatient I specify the exact dose

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

1. Dobutamine
- What is meant by singe, double triple strength -

250mg/250mL single strength
500mg/250mL double
750mg/250mL triple strength

> Using the available drug concentration
> patient's weight (Kg) x dose (mcg/kg/min) × 60 = mcg/hr
> use; 1000mc = 1 mg to derive to your desired dose

Example. MD's order: Start dopamine infusion at 5 mcg/kg/min. Patient's wt = 100 kg

Solution

100kg × 5mcg/kg/min × 60 min/hr = 30kmcg/hr

30k mcg/hour / 1000 mcg/mg = 30 mg/hr

For single strength program the pump to run for 30 mL/hr; double strength - 15 mL/hr. ..

2. Dopamine

Single strength = 200 mg/250mL
Double = 400 mg /250mL
Triple = 600 mg/250mL

Same procedure as that of dobu.

Thanks.

1. Dobutamine
- What is meant by singe, double triple strength -

250mg/250mL single strength
500mg/250mL double
750mg/250mL triple strength

> Using the available drug concentration
> patient's weight (Kg) x dose (mcg/kg/min) × 60 = mcg/hr
> use; 1000mc = 1 mg to derive to your desired dose

Example. MD's order: Start dopamine infusion at 5 mcg/kg/min. Patient's wt = 100 kg

Solution

100kg × 5mcg/kg/min × 60 min/hr = 30kmcg/hr

30k mcg/hour / 1000 mcg/mg = 30 mg/hr

For single strength program the pump to run for 30 mL/hr; double strength - 15 mL/hr. ..

2. Dopamine

Single strength = 200 mg/250mL
Double = 400 mg /250mL
Triple = 600 mg/250mL

Same procedure as that of dobu.