Prescription Fluoride toothpaste

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a patient who was asking me about oil pulling and/or rx fluoride toothpaste for treating cavities to somehow reminerize the enamel of the tooth so she wouldn't have to do a filling. Does anyone know anything about this topic in general or as personal experience? I tried to google things up but alot of the information is kinda controversial.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an easy one. I would refer them to their dentist.
haha, thats what I said too but she thinks that I have alot of the answers but I understand her concerns. I don't know what its like to have a filling but if it was me, I would avoid it if i could.

haha, thats what I said too but she thinks that I have alot of the answers but I understand her concerns. I don't know what its like to have a filling but if it was me, I would avoid it if i could.

A good dentist will numb you so you don't feel anything. She probably just doesn't want to waste the hour of her life and pay the copay. She's probably one of those people that believes Dr. Oz.

"Oil pulling" is a quack remedy. Probably harmless, but not beneficial either.

She could always try to find a free dental clinic if she can't afford to pay for the filling.

Anyone else remember that little boy who died a few years back from dental decay? Probably an extreme case, but I would always encourage patients to go to the dentist versus trying a controversial "treatment." Though she kind of sounds like one of those people who thinks fillings have mercury in them and will kill her...in that case, good luck!

black walnut hull is one I've been asked about....I tell people the truth, there haven't been proper studies done, so I have no idea whether this works or doesn't work. An untreated filling can lead to more major dental work (root canal, loosing the tooth), or even a deadly abscess. So my recommendation is that you follow your dentists recommendations.

This is what I would say....although I know 99% the pt will just think I'm an ignorant idiot like her/his, an dentist (if s/he even has one....amazing how many people self-diagnose cavities), and will get on the internet to find a "real" expert who knows what they are talking about.