Prescription of Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A.Vheissu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently writing a research paper for an English 201 assignment on the subject of antibiotic overuse. One of the criteria for the paper is to "cite an interview you conducted with a professional on your subject." Unfortunately my school's microbiology professor is on summer vacation, so if it is okay, would anyone here be kind enough to offer their experience in the related field to answer some questions that I may quote in my paper?

I have one main question I would like to discuss in general: Are physicians properly administering antibiotics in a way that optimizes patient and social welfare?

And then there are several questions that stem from that basic one.
Are hospital administrations properly regulating use of antibiotics?
Are physicians properly educated on the proper use and long term dangers of antibiotic administration?
What can physicians do to prevent antibiotic resistant bacteria from evolving and becoming prevalent in a hospital and community setting?
What can patients do?
What can hospital administrators do?
Should any government policy be implemented?

And/or any other related information that anyone feels like offering. Anything at all will be greatly appreciated! :)

Also, if you do answer and don't mind me quoting it in my paper, would you mind leaving a pseudonym (otherwise I'll have to make one up, and I'm terribly not-clever!) and whatever general credentials you have (nothing more specific than something like "Dr. Who - has practiced medicine in a hospital for 6 years" or something similar).

Members don't see this ad.