MA/MS Prescription privileges for master level clinicians?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that in certain states and in Canada, masters level psychotherapists and clinicians are fighting for rx privileges that they would be able to obtain with an optional post graduate series of certification courses and then they would need to have a consulting physician to sign off on the orders.

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Strongly against. As is, we struggle (in some circles) enough just proving ourselves to be competent therapists, and I think the pursuit of becoming one regardless of training background is longer and more ongoing than most would think. I would be happy with more training in psychopharmacology as it is commonplace in mental health to be working with clients on psychotropic medications, but just to the extent that it informs my practice as a therapist, not so I can go adding/subtracting said medications from my client's list.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. By the time you complete the prerequisites, assuming you haven't already, you'd have spent 4-6 years to become a Frankensteined psychiatrist of sorts. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I read that in certain states and in Canada, masters level psychotherapists and clinicians are fighting for rx privileges that they would be able to obtain with an optional post graduate series of certification courses and then they would need to have a consulting physician to sign off on the orders.

What do you think?
Ugh, that sounds nightmarish. Psych meds are some of the most side-effect laden meds out there, and I mean potentially life-threatening or destroying if prescribed incorrectly. People think it's just harmless happy pills, but psychopharmacology is incredibly complex, and interacts with non-psychopharmaceuticals in ways that can be hard to keep track of and manage.

I actually feel like if the education is there..i.e there is actually a way to competently teach master's level clinicians to prescribe...then why not?

img-thing

Reactions: 2 users

What do you think?

I think there are a lot of shortcuts to doing complex and somewhat risky work, and this has made strange bedfellows out of certain parties with power/deep pockets and certain parties who can't or won't put in the time and effort to attend the appropriate professional school for their career goals.

Reactions: 1 users
I think there are a lot of shortcuts to doing complex and somewhat risky work, and this has made strange bedfellows out of certain parties with power/deep pockets and certain parties who can't or won't put in the time and effort to attend the appropriate professional school for their career goals.

Agreed. Given the current societal and mental health landscapes, I really don't think getting more folks access to prescription privileges is the answer.

What do you think?

Where did you read this? I haven't encountered anything about MA-level psychotherapists seeking prescription privileges in Canada. We're still a long way from PhD-level psychologists being able to do so....

Where did you read this? I haven't encountered anything about MA-level psychotherapists seeking prescription privileges in Canada. We're still a long way from PhD-level psychologists being able to do so....

Are phd level psychologists trying to get prescribing rights in Canada like in the United States?