Presentation vs Poster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegatoradestruggle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the co-first author on an abstract accepted by a conference. It was selected to be a podium presentation, but we will have a poster following the presentation.

However, I am not sure if I will actually be presenting or not. At the very least, I will be actively taking part in the poster presentation, and my partner will be giving the actual powerpoint presentation.

So my question: when it comes to listing this on my application, do I put it as a presentation or a poster? Should I only put presentation if I actually participate on stage, and poster if I'm only doing the poster session (regardless of the fact that we were picked for a presentation)?

NOTE: My PI wants us both to be prepared to give the presentation should the other have a last-minute emergency, but it is likely my colleague who will be actually doing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter that much. As long as you're going to the conference, and you're presenting the poster, you can list it as a poster presentation. It's just a choice of words. If you're also going to give an oral presentation on stage, you can also add that to your activities description on the AMCAS. Honestly, it's just a small detail within the entirety of your application so don't stress too much about it. Good luck and remember to have fun! :luck: I love conferences -- it's like a paid vacation.

Reactions: 1 users