Presenting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deedubs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just started my psych rotation and am really enjoying it. Thinking about doing it for residency. My attending are pretty informal but I''d like to be able to give a really good presentation. What's a good structure to use when presenting a new patient? Also how about for updates on old patients?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Describing current statuses usually helps attendings conceptualize a new patient. ie. Mr. Mrs. so and so is a 36 y/o caucasian male/female, he/she is married/divorced/separated, employed/unemployed/retired/disabled, with past psychiatric hx of X, presents today for X. If they are admitted to a medical floor note, the date of the admission and reason for admission.

Note how they arrived/who brought them, current circumstances and stressors, current symptoms (depression,mania,delusions, AVH, SI/HI). Past psych hx, family hx, medical hx, substance abuse hx. legal and or hx of physical/verbal/sexual abuse. MSE. Biopsychosocial formulation and plan.