President authorizes National Guard for Ebola role

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to the propaganda fed to us and to our families, deploying soldiers will not have direct contact with the infected... If you believe that, you are an idiot.

Keep signing your lives away. HPSP, FAP, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the propaganda fed to us and to our families, deploying soldiers will not have direct contact with the infected... If you believe that, you are an idiot.

Keep signing your lives away. HPSP, FAP, etc.

Well, that bit about "no contact with the infected" rapidly changed its tune, although very technically it's uniformed members of the US Public Health Service. Still, they're considered one of the seven uniformed services (USA, USAF, USN, USMC, USCG, USPHS, and NOAA).

http://thehill.com/policy/international/220996-americans-will-staff-liberian-ebola-hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone here getting PPE training for Ebola? I know we have recently gotten all the stuff, but no one has taught any of us how to wear it.

Here at Langley/Portsmouth we are pretty much ground zero for military Ebola lol. We are receiving and deploying almost all the troops to west Africa. So far, none of our EMEDs or builders have had any known contact with an Ebola patient. Every military member returning is isolated for 21 days and temperature is taken at least twice per day.
Everyone in our emergency departments, ICUs, lab, radiology, and a few other departments have been provided PPE and have had extensive training on donning and doffing. I have personally been involved with 7 "much Ebola" patients so far and 2 real world possible cases (both were negative). Our teams have had excellent training and we are very confident in our ability to safely treat patients with possible EVD.
I hear from friends in San Antonio that their training an capabilities are similar.

At my MTF, there are plenty of people who are volunteering to be on an Ebola team. My guess is that there are enough volunteers so that there is no need to send people who are unwilling. And they are only training people who they expect to respond if a case comes in. Otherwise, it is limited contact/isolation.

You are guessing wrong. Folks are definitely getting sent against their will.

While some people are in fact being sent who didn't formally volunteer, you're incorrect in saying they are "sent against their will". They are in the military. They signed up to be deployed wherever and whenever their leadership deems necessary. They aren't going "against their will", they're doing the job they signed up for and the job they're being paid for.

Even after volunteering for the military, there are many duties that still require service members to specifically volunteer for. It would not be unreasonable to think that fighting Ebola would fall into this category especially given the relatively low number of service members needed. Someone stated that is not the reality, however.

But, please, don't let that stop your irrelevant rant on the semantics of volunteer and force...

While some people are in fact being sent who didn't formally volunteer, you're incorrect in saying they are "sent against their will". They are in the military. They signed up to be deployed wherever and whenever their leadership deems necessary. They aren't going "against their will", they're doing the job they signed up for and the job they're being paid for.

Good for you.

Let me guess. If they don't like it, they can move to Canada.

If there was a plague that erupted state-side...there is no question that military physicians would take part in the fight. When you sign up for the military you do so understanding that you could be putting your life at risk. If you don't...then you're an idiot and I really can't feel sorry for you.

You don't seem to have a good grasp on the definition of "will." I'm married for life but I am still dragged to Bed, Bath, and Beyond against my will. It doesn't mean I am less committed because I fulfill some of my duties against my will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on your logic, every deployment, assignment, foot patrol, flight, bomb dropped, shot fired, etc. are voluntary because hey, we signed up for the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there was a plague that erupted state-side...there is no question that military physicians would take part in the fight. When you sign up for the military you do so understanding that you could be putting your life at risk. If you don't...then you're an idiot and I really can't feel sorry for you.

You need to recruit prospective medical students. Your empathy for these kids merely trying to put themselves through school is truly astounding. If you think every HPSP student drinks the Kool-Aid like you, then "I really can't feel sorry for you." It's people like you who drive greater than 90 percent of quality docs out of the military at the end of the first ADSO.

You need to recruit prospective medical students. Your empathy for these kids merely trying to put themselves through school is truly astounding. If you think every HPSP student drinks the Kool-Aid like you, then "I really can't feel sorry for you." It's people like you who drive greater than 90 percent of quality docs out of the military at the end of the first ADSO.

:)

Kids? Stop right there. I'm tired of this Peter Pan-syndrome BS.

I believe in personal responsibility. If you have been through undergrad and still don't have the sense to know what you are getting into...I don't know what to tell you. And to frickin whine about it like a child when YOU didn't know what you were getting yourself into is pathetic.

Did you expect that the military would be some sort of Willy Wonka factory tour? There are plenty of aspects of the military that suck...I learn a nuance of that suckiness pretty regularly. But you won't see me whine about it. I'm too busy trying to make the most out of the situation. The same exact people who complain about how unfair their lives are in the military are the same ones who will complain about civilian life...I work with these people.

1) Does anyone know any Navy physicians who signed up for this intervention? I know its still primarily Army led

2) Does anyone know how you would volunteer for this? Who to contact?

3) Does anyone think we'll still be sending people to help past July?

:)

Kids? Stop right there. I'm tired of this Peter Pan-syndrome BS.

I believe in personal responsibility. If you have been through undergrad and still don't have the sense to know what you are getting into...I don't know what to tell you. And to frickin whine about it like a child when YOU didn't know what you were getting yourself into is pathetic.

Did you expect that the military would be some sort of Willy Wonka factory tour? There are plenty of aspects of the military that suck...I learn a nuance of that suckiness pretty regularly. But you won't see me whine about it. I'm too busy trying to make the most out of the situation. The same exact people who complain about how unfair their lives are in the military are the same ones who will complain about civilian life...I work with these people.

I am in civilian life right now. It is no panacea, but you won't hear me complain about it. I served my ADSO and GTFO. Would make the same decision 1000 out of 1000 times.

Enjoy military medicine, sounds like a perfect fit for you. It is going to be a tough place to work when Iraq III starts and there is a dearth of physicians, partly because of "leaders" with your attitude telling them to "suck it up."

Did you expect that the military would be some sort of Willy Wonka factory tour?

So far I have worked for Augustus Gloop, I probably look like a tall oompah loompah when forced to do squadron PT, and worked with residents that remind me of Verruca Salt, but no, I never expected Mr Wonka. But don't laugh, the attrition rate was pretty high on that tour, ?DNBI.

I am in civilian life right now. It is no panacea, but you won't hear me complain about it. I served my ADSO and GTFO. Would make the same decision 1000 out of 1000 times.

Enjoy military medicine, sounds like a perfect fit for you. It is going to be a tough place to work when Iraq III starts and there is a dearth of physicians, partly because of "leaders" with your attitude telling them to "suck it up."

Thank you for your service.

You are projecting on me. You don't know me, yet I suppose you know my "type". Learning to suck it up is one of the most important lessons in life...and it is a lesson that doesn't sink in for many people. They just live their lives as entitled whiners.

I will likely be out of the military in a few years...but when I look back on it I will remember the relationships I had with patients and colleagues...probably not the administrative/bureaucratic BS...though of course there is tons of that. You have to take the good with the bad. I have been able to work under both horrible and great leaders...I have the opportunity to treat some awesome people...I had a very good internship experience...my work experience has made me incredibly competitive for residency...and I am debt free. I have had to put up with a ton of BS like everyone else...but nothing is free in life.

You don't seem to have a good grasp on the definition of "will." I'm married for life but I am still dragged to Bed, Bath, and Beyond against my will. It doesn't mean I am less committed because I fulfill some of my duties against my will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a personal problem. Don't wanna go to bed bath and beyond, don't get in the car and drive there. If that's what your marriage depends on, get a divorce. You willingly go to your wife's store, unless she's a big Russian named Helga and actually does drag you there. Seems like you're confused sir.

Good for you.

Let me guess. If they don't like it, they can move to Canada.

If they don't like it, they don't have to seek out a recruiter, go to MEPS, sign a contract, swear an oath, don a uniform, graduate BMT/OTS. You don't have to move to Canada to not be deployed, you just don't join the military genius. I think this conversation went over your head.

If they don't like it, they don't have to seek out a recruiter, go to MEPS, sign a contract, swear an oath, don a uniform, graduate BMT/OTS. You don't have to move to Canada to not be deployed, you just don't join the military genius. I think this conversation went over your head.

In the end, you are correct. But there is also reality. If the only people that joined military medicine were similar to the hooah types you described above, there would be no medical corps. We all know it.

You're welcome to drink the nurse surgeon's Kool-aid, but spare the rest of us. Whether you like it or not, that's reality. BTW, have you even been accepted to med school? Tell me what you think after a couple years as an active duty physician. Greater than 90 percent attrition rate should tell you something about the work environment.

Next time you're there, start sneezing.

My "allergy" to that arts-n-craft dried flower and potpourri stink has kept me out of that place and Michael's and Hobby Lobby for 17 1/2 years now ...

For **** sake, people are actually bitching about being deployed now? I don't know what to say.

Don't want to speak for the OP, but I think the issue was with deploying to an environment with a rampant infectious disease for political reasons, not deploying to a war zone in defense of this country.

I guess you could consider it humanitarian if you trust the intentions of the POTUS. I don't think there is a lot of trust in the military community with our CIC..

For **** sake, people are actually bitching about being deployed now? I don't know what to say.

Our armed forces are getting too soft. Everyone thinks it's where they pay your tuition in exchange for a few nights camping out. COT was the worst idea the military ever came up with.

Don't want to speak for the OP, but I think the issue was with deploying to an environment with a rampant infectious disease for political reasons, not deploying to a war zone in defense of this country.

I guess you could consider it humanitarian if you trust the intentions of the POTUS. I don't think there is a lot of trust in the military community with our CIC..

Infectious disease > IEDs, Taliban, cartel, war lords, 1v80 combat ratio.
If you joined the military thinking you'd never be deployed for political reasons, you're an idiot. We aren't fighting the red coats trying to obtain freedom; we're blowing up towel heads and doing humanitarian **** to look good on CNN and FOX. Grow up.

Infectious disease > IEDs, Taliban, cartel, war lords, 1v80 combat ratio.
If you joined the military thinking you'd never be deployed for political reasons, you're an idiot. We aren't fighting the red coats trying to obtain freedom; we're blowing up towel heads and doing humanitarian **** to look good on CNN and FOX. Grow up.

It appears you can't have a civil discussion without calling people "idiot" and telling them to "grow up." Usually means your argument is weak and IQ even weaker.

Or maybe you're simply an idiot who needs to grow up if you believe the childish ideas I've described. It's hard to have a civil discussion with someone so naive as to think the military is all sunshine and flowers and gets their panties in a bunch when they have to deploy. It's literally in the job description. That's like becoming a firefighter but complaining about having to respond to fires.

My last post on this thread.

Enjoy your life in the military. Maybe one day you'll educate yourself so you can have a grown-up discussion.

Hey pgg, usually I agree with everything you write but of course we bitch about deployment. Doesn't mean people wouldn't go but I think sailors can reserve the right to bitch.

Last edited:
Hey pgg, usually I agree with everything you write but of course we bitch about deployment. Doesn't mean people wouldn't go but I think sailors can reserve the right to bitch.
Fair enough, of course we gripe about deploying.

I just interpreted the tone of the responses to the Ebola deployments to be that they are unreasonable, not just unpleasant. Ie, that getting deployed to build hospitals in Africa that will be used for Ebola patients is somehow objectionable in a way that a deployment to bootstomp Saddam Hussein or the Taliban wasn't. I could be reading too much into it.