Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dagny79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tonight my mother informed me that I couldn't handle the pressure of medical school.

:(

Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, two months before I start.

Members don't see this ad.

Is your mother a doctor? What kind of parent would tell their child they won't be able to succeed at something?

Wrigley

nope, wrong parent. my mother is the, ahem, cheerleader of the family.

one should not handle heavy machinery or post on SDN in this kind of mood.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess there's nothing left but to prove her wrong. You are the only one in control of your life and are the best judge of what you are capable of. Don't let her get you down.

Wrigley

Ignore the comments and do well in school. Its amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it, regardless of what others predict. Don't let it get you down too much.

In the end, your mom will be impressed and proud.

Maybe she said that out of concern for your health? Mothers can be a worrysome bunch. My mom is afraid I won't be eating enough vegetables. She also thinks I'll never get married and have kids. :rolleyes: Parents just have a tendency to voice their concerns in what may seem like rude ways, but I'll bet that your mom is sincerely supportive of your goals.

I have the opposite kind of pressure coming from my parents. They freak out w/ me dating. They're afraid I will get married, have kids, and not do med school. I think that's silly, but they're parents. They're s'posed to worry, I suppose.

raDiOnut

Originally posted by raDiOnut
I have the opposite kind of pressure coming from my parents. They freak out w/ me dating. They're afraid I will get married, have kids, and not do med school. I think that's silly, but they're parents. They're s'posed to worry, I suppose.

raDiOnut

Well, see, my situation is kind of weird. Before I graduated from college, they wanted me to have nothing to do with boys (yeah right!). But now, they're very worried that I won't find the time to meet them all. (yeah right!!)

dagny79,

You are the only one that decides what you can handle. If I had listened to my mother, I would have avoided anything that became difficult.

If you really want this you will get through successfully;)

Originally posted by luckystar
Maybe she said that out of concern for your health? Mothers can be a worrysome bunch. My mom is afraid I won't be eating enough vegetables. She also thinks I'll never get married and have kids. :rolleyes: Parents just have a tendency to voice their concerns in what may seem like rude ways, but I'll bet that your mom is sincerely supportive of your goals.

Yikes, my mom is definitely one of the worrisome bunch! She is totally not supportive of my wanting to go to medical school. Instead, she wants me to go into one of the "easier" professions, like dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, etc. While people are needed in all of those fields, I'm just not as jazzed up about them as I am about medicine, and osteopathic medicine in particular!

I also think that your mom loves you so much and that's just one way of showing her love, even though it is really really rude! If I was in your position dagny79, I'd be pretty darn mad.

ah, the pity party is past. she is probably using reverse psychology on me as i am having some pre-matriculant jitters and she knows i really throw myself into something once the gauntlet is laid. still, there are gentler ways...

anyways, i can't wait to start. now to find an apartment and get my financial aid taken care of.....! so much to do.

have a lovely monday, all.

kt

That's good to hear, dagny! Tough love, baby...

Good luck with everything!

My Mom is proud of me.

Guess I am better off than some.

I'm sure your Mom will feel differently when you're making $200,000.

Look at it this way...at least you can spend your money on better things, now that you won't have to be coughing up the dough to keep her in a nice nursing home.