pressures/to go or not go into medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvka12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This whole break it has become more stressful to think about what exactly I should do after college and as a pre health student I have choices right now as a sophomore (Dentistry, pharmacy, podiatry, etc). But, my parents and other relatives keep saying they wished they had gone to med school or they wish that their parents have pushed them more. But, the other thing is that my mom is a physician and obviously she is biased when it comes to which health field to go into. I just feel all these outside pressures to be a doctor especially since my siblings and I are the first generation born here in the US and you either become a doctor, lawyer, or other typical job. I keep telling them that it may not be for me and that's because I have no idea what to do. As a hospital volunteer, Cell Bio major, and Spanish minor I could potentially go to med school. Its not that easy to forget what they say and do my own thing because older people are much wiser and know more than I do. I cant just say screw them and do my own thing...it's just driving me crazy! Is it bad to go into medicine if you just see yourself not going into anything else? Excuse the grammar errors and such.

Members don't see this ad.

This whole break it has become more stressful to think about what exactly I should do after college and as a pre health student I have choices right now as a sophomore (Dentistry, pharmacy, podiatry, etc). But, my parents and other relatives keep saying they wished they had gone to med school or they wish that their parents have pushed them more. But, the other thing is that my mom is a physician and obviously she is biased when it comes to which health field to go into. I just feel all these outside pressures to be a doctor especially since my siblings and I are the first generation born here in the US and you either become a doctor, lawyer, or other typical job. I keep telling them that it may not be for me and that's because I have no idea what to do. As a hospital volunteer, Cell Bio major, and Spanish minor I could potentially go to med school. Its not that easy to forget what they say and do my own thing because older people are much wiser and know more than I do. I cant just say screw them and do my own thing...it's just driving me crazy! Is it bad to go into medicine if you just see yourself not going into anything else? Excuse the grammar errors and such.

Go because you love it, not because you love the idea of it or because other people tell you that you should go.
What's your passion in life? What do you find interesting, and what holds your attention?
Does the biology of a cell make you excited? Do you find diseases interesting? Can you see yourself helping others as a physician?

This is a life choice not lightly made. If you go into medicine and hate it, you'll blame those who pressured you for the rest of your life. But if you love it, I think it can be incredibly rewarding.

You could always take some time off after college! Go live a little. Explore the world. Find some odd jobs somewhere. Then come back after two or three years and rethink it. I find that people who have taken time off after college and then decide to go into medicine are much more happy with their decision, because it is completely and fully THEIR decision, after they've matured past the college mentality.

Go to medical school and drop out the day before graduation. That will show them.

Members don't see this ad :)

But seriously if you don't want to go to medicine but are forced to you are going to have a very depressing future ahead of you.

And that " older people are much wiser and know more than I do" crap is holding you back.

Do eet for the luuuuuv of medicine, gurl, not for your folks!
Also, money, fame, and gigolos!

Your career will essentially determine everything about your life - who you end up marrying, where you will live, and how your ideology will change over time to reflect your experience (that occur in large part due to your career). People can provide all the advice in the world, but this is your choice and your choice alone. Choose medicine, or any other career for that matter, because YOU want it, and to determine if it's you who truly wants it, or if you're simply bending to the will of others, you need to do some major soul searching.