Prestige vs. Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sageandthyme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is still quite theoretical for me as I still have a couple years to go. I am wondering, however, how much the prestige of a program matters. I'm wondering because while it does not have accreditation yet (anyone know how long that takes?), there may be a program in my home town by the time I would attend. I could live at home for free if this occurred, leaving me with only tuition costs to pay. So basically, how much would it being a really new program matter versus an already established one?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, as long as the school is accredited by the time you apply then you should be fine. After all, in three years you graduate with the same degree as someone who pays two to three times more. Having said that, I do think prestigious schools offer a LOT more opportunities in the field of research and advancements in the field. This is one of those issues that only YOU can really determine the best answer for. Good luck and take from someone who procrastinated for the first three years of undergrad; shadow NOW and study for the GRE early haha makes life a lot easier for you during your senior year.

Problem with newly accredited schools is that they will constantly be tweaking their program. So if you don't mind being involved with all the problems of improving a new program, go for it. I know when a lot of us that were applying a few years ago when many programs were changing over to the DPT, we weighed this heavily on whether we chose that program (and be part of the changing process).

Good thing about established programs is that many already have contacts for clinicals, good resources, etc. That said, most established programs also have their flaws. If you can save money and stay, that's a huge plus. Since you still have a few years, you have plenty of time to figure out what you want in a program and which will work best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it change anything if this program has the same curriculum as an already established program? It's in consortium with a DPT program at another school (UW-LaCrosse) that has been accredited since '99, so they have identical classes and pre-reqs.

It's not the curriculum as most programs are similar. It's the tweaking of how to run that curriculum in a way that benefits the students learning. Putting all the classes together and coordinating the schedules, tests, etc, with the profs take years to improve.

sageandthyme, where is this new program? I live near the LaCrosse area.

are you talking about UW-Milwaukee? I looked into that awhile but there wasn't any progress yet toward accreditation last I checked. It's been at least a year since I looked though.

Yeah, UWM. I'm not sure there's been any progress or not. They say they have "Candidate for Accreditation status," not sure what that means. I'm only a freshman though, so I have time. (And I'm really hoping they get it in time, since that would save me a ton of money.)

A program cannot gain accreditation until it graduates its first class. In the case of UWM, that is this year. So you will know by the time you apply whether they have accreditation. They will likely still be in a probationary period, but that will not affect you.

UWM is actually being evaluated for the accreditation this Friday (April 23rd) and they will know whether or not they will receive the accreditation by next week. I've been looking into that program as well. The head of the program has given assurance that there should be no reason why they would not receive it. I'm also wondering about the name of the program, because I've been accepted to out of state schools that have had their PT programs established for over 50 years like UCONN. I'm from Wisconsin however, and out of state tuition is not something I'm thrilled about. I need to make the decision within the next week or so. Anybody have any additional thoughts?

UWM is actually being evaluated for the accreditation this Friday (April 23rd) and they will know whether or not they will receive the accreditation by next week. I've been looking into that program as well. The head of the program has given assurance that there should be no reason why they would not receive it. I'm also wondering about the name of the program, because I've been accepted to out of state schools that have had their PT programs established for over 50 years like UCONN. I'm from Wisconsin however, and out of state tuition is not something I'm thrilled about. I need to make the decision within the next week or so. Anybody have any additional thoughts?

The name won't matter. Go to the cheaper program. Study. Pass the licensing examination. Get the same job with the same salary that a graduate of Wash U or UCONN or Duke gets.