MD Pretty Nervous 3.68 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reinvention

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
College Senior at Large State School (Mid-ranked)
MCAT #1 - 25
MCAT #2 - Expecting something in the percentiles of 33+ (based on practice AAMC Exams)
Right now, I'm studying for MCAT 2015. I'm not worried about doing better on my retake, mainly because when I'd initially taken it, I'd only studied for around one week. We can talk about my judgement calls as much as you'd like, I'm pretty much as fascinated by it's stupidity as you are.

cGPA: 3.68 (Upward trend with 2 21-credit Senior year Semesters)
sGPA: 3.50
I derailed my GPA during Junior year, and now have a pretty weak one that I'm hoping I get at least 1 MD acceptance out of.
I'm also not graduating this Spring. I should be. But I'm taking 7 more science credits so I can bump it up to a 3.70 and have magna cum laude on my diploma (might be dumb, but I want it). Maybe I'll send an updated transcript, but I'll be applying with a 3.68 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA.

EC's
  • Studied abroad on a State Grant, went to Cambodia to learn Khmer and do research on linguistics (2 Months)
  • Volunteer as an ESL Language Partner (~200 Hrs)
  • Volunteer at Hospital (~500 Hrs)
  • Work as a counselor for families dealing with CF (~120 Hrs)
  • Shadowed 2 Doctors, 1 urologist, 1 internist (~160 Hrs)
  • President/Founder of Biology Club
  • President/Founder of Faithfulness Club
  • Columnist for Newspaper
  • Volunteer at STEM Girls Camps (7 grade girls) (2 Summers)
  • TA For Math Course (3 Years)
  • Non-science research (1 publication, around 6 conferences, and 3 grants)
  • Done 1 Medical Internship at USUHS (Because my parents live in the area...)
  • Did UVA SRIP Program

Interested (??) Facts about my Application
I'm training to be a teacher. My school has a huge teacher's college, and many students decide to add on a licensure component to their degree. So, last semester and this semester I've been a full time teacher (not interesting but Last semester, full time teacher, 21 credits, straight A's, AND studying for the MCAT, hard!!). I'm pretty active at the school, I sit at PTA, coach the Mathletes and do Assistant Coaching for Track & Field. I have an upward trend in GPA.

Contingent upon the fact that I get an MCAT score that correlates with a percentile (I know MCAT 2015 is on a new scale, might benefit me as it's hard to average) that mean's today's 33+, do you think I'd be competitive for MD? OR, do you think I should not apply this upcoming cycle, wait a year to take the MCAT (which I'm already well into studying for), and take a bunch of upper-level sciences to bump my cGPA to 3.75, sGPA 3.60.

I am a Virginia Domicile and I am applying to 25 schools.
  • UVa (Haha, right?)
  • VCU
  • EVMS (I would LOVE to attend here, but fear my stats are subpar)
  • VTech
  • Howard
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington
  • UMD
  • Tulane
  • Hofstra
  • Oakland
  • Rochester
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Penn State
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • Vermont
  • Albany
  • Drexel
  • Wake Forest
  • USC-Greenville
  • University of Alabama
  • Creighton
  • Franklin
  • New School (Forgot name)

My main thoughts through this process a year in advance are that I know I screwed up, and that I hope someone will take a shot on me, and in particular, I know Virginia's not known to be overly IS friendly, but I do hope my state will show mercy towards me! Thank you sincerely for any & all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
College Senior at Large State School (Mid-ranked)
MCAT #1 - 25
MCAT #2 - Expecting something in the percentiles of 33+ (based on practice AAMC Exams)
Right now, I'm studying for MCAT 2015. I'm not worried about doing better on my retake, mainly because when I'd initially taken it, I'd only studied for around one week. We can talk about my judgement calls as much as you'd like, I'm pretty much as fascinated by it's stupidity as you are.

cGPA: 3.68 (Upward trend with 2 21-credit Senior year Semesters)
sGPA: 3.50
I derailed my GPA during Junior year, and now have a pretty weak one that I'm hoping I get at least 1 MD acceptance out of.
I'm also not graduating this Spring. I should be. But I'm taking 7 more science credits so I can bump it up to a 3.70 and have magna cum laude on my diploma (might be dumb, but I want it). Maybe I'll send an updated transcript, but I'll be applying with a 3.68 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA.

EC's
  • Studied abroad on a State Grant, went to Cambodia to learn Khmer and do research on linguistics (2 Months)
  • Volunteer as an ESL Language Partner (~200 Hrs)
  • Volunteer at Hospital (~500 Hrs)
  • Work as a counselor for families dealing with CF (~120 Hrs)
  • Shadowed 2 Doctors, 1 urologist, 1 internist (~160 Hrs)
  • President/Founder of Biology Club
  • President/Founder of Faithfulness Club
  • Columnist for Newspaper
  • Volunteer at STEM Girls Camps (7 grade girls) (2 Summers)
  • TA For Math Course (3 Years)
  • Non-science research (1 publication, around 6 conferences, and 3 grants)
  • Done 1 Medical Internship at USUHS (Because my parents live in the area...)
  • Did UVA SRIP Program

Interested (??) Facts about my Application
I'm training to be a teacher. My school has a huge teacher's college, and many students decide to add on a licensure component to their degree. So, last semester and this semester I've been a full time teacher (not interesting but Last semester, full time teacher, 21 credits, straight A's, AND studying for the MCAT, hard!!). I'm pretty active at the school, I sit at PTA, coach the Mathletes and do Assistant Coaching for Track & Field. I have an upward trend in GPA.

Contingent upon the fact that I get an MCAT score that correlates with a percentile (I know MCAT 2015 is on a new scale, might benefit me as it's hard to average) that mean's today's 33+, do you think I'd be competitive for MD? OR, do you think I should not apply this upcoming cycle, wait a year to take the MCAT (which I'm already well into studying for), and take a bunch of upper-level sciences to bump my cGPA to 3.75, sGPA 3.60.

I am a Virginia Domicile and I am applying to 25 schools.
  • UVa (Haha, right?)
  • VCU
  • EVMS (I would LOVE to attend here, but fear my stats are subpar)
  • VTech
  • Howard
  • Georgetown
  • George Washington
  • UMD
  • Tulane
  • Hofstra
  • Oakland
  • Rochester
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Penn State
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • Vermont
  • Albany
  • Drexel
  • Wake Forest
  • USC-Greenville
  • University of Alabama
  • Creighton
  • Franklin

My main thoughts through this process a year in advance are that I know I screwed up, and that I hope someone will take a shot on me, and in particular, I know Virginia's not known to be overly IS friendly, but I do hope my state will show mercy towards me! Thank you sincerely for any & all help.
If you score a 33 MCAT equivalent, with a steep upward grade trend, despite the mediocre-ish BCPM GPA, I think you have a reasonable shot at MD schools. But you'll save yourself aggravation if you remove any schools from the list that average MCAT scores. I also think you need to look over the MSAR mission statements carefully to be sure your ECs are a good fit and that OOS matriculation rates represent acceptable odds to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur. Also look over the Acceptance Information page on MSAR, and remove some of the state schools you listed that heavily favor their in-state applicants.

If you score a 33 MCAT equivalent, with a steep upward grade trend, despite the mediocre-ish BCPM GPA, I think you have a reasonable shot at MD schools. But you'll save yourself aggravation if you remove any schools from the list that average MCAT scores. I also think you need to look over the MSAR mission statements carefully to be sure your ECs are a good fit and that OOS matriculation rates represent acceptable odds to you.