Previous research experience is different from what I want to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRRRTolkien

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my research experience is kind of all over the place. One of my LORs told me that this may look like I'm indecisive to grad programs.
So basically, I guess what I am asking is, do I look too indecisive because of my range of experience and multiple research interests? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IMO...no, you do not appear to be indecisive (sometimes we have to take what opportunities we can get, right?).

HOWEVER, now that you do have research experience in several area, it will be your task as an applicant to demonstrate what it has taught YOU, both specifically (findings) and generally (about the process of research...start to finish). And you should be able to discuss these things in an intelligible manner during interviews.

Are you familiar with translational research? If not, look it up. I started off working with obese mice in the department of surgery, but the link between psychology and medicine that helped me was this idea (and importance) of translational research. We have to start somewhere, and animal models are often where some ideas are first tested (sorry, animal lovers, vegans, etc.). Plus you will draw upon your experience and findings when working with different populations (i.e., substance use, emerging adults, etc.).

Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
2nd cheetahgirl.
My undergrad research was on completely different topic than what I did in my MA program (health psych) and my doctoral program (very applied health psych). See the experience as a way to grow as a researcher.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both so much for your input and insight! I will keep your words in mind when writing my SOP and doing interviews (that I hopefully will get haha). I feel a lot better about my experiences now, even if they aren't necessarily related to what I want to work on in the future. :)

Reactions: 1 user