Previous work experience: does it count as patient care/experience working in a clinical setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelcelot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad planning on applying to a 1 year post-bacc (career changer) this fall, with plans to pursue a DIY post-bacc if that doesn't pan out. I am curious as to how my previous work experience would be perceived by ADCOMs, both in post-bacc programs and at medical schools. I am concerned that my previous work experience won't be viewed as real clinical exposure since it was an elective cosmetic procedure (that some might even find controversial).

I worked as a clinical assistant at a medical skin care center for two years. This place only did cosmetic procedures. I was basically the doctor's assistant and in addition to administrative work had a lot of "patient" contact- giving patients instructions before/after the procedure, prepping the room/sterilizing equipment, greeting patients and getting them ready for the procedure, cleaning them up and getting them ready to go home at the end, and assisting the doctor throughout the procedure itself (i.e., handing him stuff, helping turn the patient, prepping areas for an incision). I only assisted with the one type of procedure (the only one that the doctor preformed there), which was basically a minimally invasive liposuction using local anesthetic (yes, the patients were awake and talking through most of the procedure- some fell asleep).

This was basically my first job right out of undergrad, and while I don't have any desire to do plastic surgery or cosmetic work in the future, it was a good experience. I wasn't dealing with sick people, but even with an elective cosmetic procedure many people are scared/anxious and were pretty loopy by the end of it (most procedures usually took around 3 hours or more and we did give some oral sedatives).

I am trying to get a volunteer position in a clinical setting, but I am working overseas at the moment in a country where I speak nothing of the native language. My only option is the local U.S. military base where I am trying to become a volunteer, but that will also be difficult to do more than a few hours a month as the clinic is only open during the week, and I work full-time with a LONG commute.

Do you think that adcoms will consider my previous work experience as actual patient care/clinical experience? I am still trying my hardest to do some clinical volunteering or shadowing here, but may have to wait until I return to the States this summer (which only gives me a month or two to shadow/volunteer before applying to these post-bacc programs). Any advice or insight is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely counts, in my opinion. I have a very similar experience. I did a DIY postbacc for two years. When i finished my classes and was applying I ended up getting a job as a full-time medical assistant (non certified or anything- doctor just took a chance on me) at a dermatology clinic. We performed normal skin cancer excisions as well as cosmetic procedures like chemical peels, botox, fillers, laser therapy. I roomed the patients, took their histories and completed the visit notes, as well as assisting in surgery and performing some of the more basic cosmetic procedures myself. I don't have a particular interest in dermatology or anything cosmetic either, it was just a great opportunity.

It's not exactly your job, but very similar, and I think it was a fantastic experience for someone going into medicine, and it was one of the more solid parts of my application. I understood the flow of a clinic, how to develop rapport with patients, how to take histories and complete visit notes, and how to actually do hands on procedures on a patient. I experienced working my ass off on the very bottom of the medical team totem pole. So much more intense and realistic clinical experience than shadowing, working on some research project, or handing out magazines in the ER or whatever volunteering people do to check the boxes on their application. I think you should absolutely make that experience an important part of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for sharing your experience! That does make me feel better about it. I still want to get some exposure to a more traditional clinic or hospital setting, at least for myself to be absolutely sure I'm making the right decision, but it would be ideal if I didn't have to stress out about it until I'm back in the States. I'm doing other non-health related volunteer work while I'm overseas since volunteer/service work is definitely where I'm lacking (you know, besides the 40 credits of pre-reqs), so hopefully that will be enough to receive some consideration by post-bacc programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like clinical experience to me! That being said, I would probably try to shadow another physician or two. It can even be just one or two days worth of shadowing. Perhaps schedule something with a military doctor (that's what I did), and then take a vacation day from work that day.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input! That is what I am currently working on right now, though I'm still not sure how it will work since this is an overseas base. It sounds like I first need to become a volunteer with the Red Cross before I can do any kind of shadowing (which is totally fine). It's good to know that someone else has shadowed a military doctor as I wasn't sure whether they even allowed that type of thing, so thank you!

Thanks for your input! That is what I am currently working on right now, though I'm still not sure how it will work since this is an overseas base. It sounds like I first need to become a volunteer with the Red Cross before I can do any kind of shadowing (which is totally fine). It's good to know that someone else has shadowed a military doctor as I wasn't sure whether they even allowed that type of thing, so thank you!

Well, I was military at the time as well.

Well, I was military at the time as well.

Ah, well then... I'm a military spouse, so at least I'm not a random civilian... I just got confirmation for attending the Red Cross volunteer orientation next week so hopefully I'll find out whether it's a possibility then.

Ah, well then... I'm a military spouse, so at least I'm not a random civilian... I just got confirmation for attending the Red Cross volunteer orientation next week so hopefully I'll find out whether it's a possibility then.

If you're a military spouse, you should be golden. It helps to know someone though.

Reactions: 1 user