About the ads

Prices: UoP vs UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sfdent1, Apr 26, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. sfdent1

sfdent1

Pre-Dental

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi everyone. I was accepted into UoP and was waitlisted for UCSF. I just recieved a cal saying I was accepted for UCSF and now have four days to choose.

Any advice?
    Also, does anyone know the exact price differences??
    I am very excited but also very confused now.

Thanks for your help!
  2. cdbebeau

cdbebeau Member

Pre-Dental
    ucsf: specialize
    uop: general

what's your goal?
  3. Double Bonded

Double Bonded

SDN 2+ Year Member
  4. sfdent1

sfdent1

Pre-Dental
    I really want to specialize. I hear UCSF for that but at the same time I hear if you go to UOP wanting to specialize that you can, and that the reason its not as known there is because less people go into the program wanting to specialize.

I love the family aspect and support at UoP
    But UCSF...is well ucsf

Are those prices including living cost?

5. sfdent1

sfdent1

Pre-Dental
    And yes:) in state!
  6. GobBluth

GobBluth

Save cash. Get summer breaks. Opportunity to specialize (if you choose). Go to UCSF.
  7. twinklenut

twinklenut

8. UltimateHombre

UltimateHombre Doc Holliday D.D.S.

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When you factor in the extra year of work experience, the cost of difference is not that much.

I also don't think that you will have any lack of specializing options if you go to UOP. They provide an excellent clinical education and are very respected amongst the dental community. Arthur Dugoni basically revolutionized modern dental education.

With the boards going p/f.... i think that going to a school where you get grades and are ranked (UOP) vs. going to a p/f school (UCSF) may have its advantages when it comes to specialty programs. They might also factor in clinical experiences as well.
  9. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    if i were in your shoes i would choose ucsf
  10. zomorrod

zomorrod

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So have you made a decision sfdent1? UOP or UCSF? :) GL
  11. destinedsirius

destinedsirius

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I agree with everything else you said except for the first part. The extra year does not offset the extra cost when you do the actual math. UOP and UCSF will both have 4 loan periods, but each loan period at UOP costs more because UOP is more expensive. So even in the first loan period, your interest rate would be piling up more at UOP than UCSF. This is money that will accumulate over many years and in no way can be compensated by the $100,000 generously estimated starting salary of a new graduate. Using Bereno's Financial Doc., the monthly payments on a 15 year repayment at UOP would be approx. 1k more than UCSF. That's loss of $12,000 a year for 15 years. But can it justify the 1 more year of experience you will get? That's up to the person entirely and what's important to them. I'm told by recent grads that after a year out dental school and actively learning on your own, everyone is on the same playing field in terms of experience.

With all that said, I still chose UOP over UCSF. :eek:

...because UOP is amazing
  12. sfdent1

sfdent1

Pre-Dental
    I think im going to go with UoP! Thank youfor all your help. I have till tomorrow to decide and am still very confused. But I feel like my heart lies with uop.
  13. TheClutch

TheClutch

Dental Student
    uop is def more chill than UCSF.
    however, when you start writing checks $700-1000 per month more for UOP, it's gonna get sucky real fast. Think about what you can do with extra 700 every month for 15 years. remember your life continues after dental school. it doesnt stop there
    D-school is not an undergrad. It is more like a job.
    Best of luck
  14. John Durian

John Durian Durio zibethinus

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'd be wary of such a high debt load. Wait until you get into dental school and attend some of those depressing-arse CDA/mid-level/new legislation meetings with regard to dentistry. Makes you cringe.

Choose UCSF. Same city, same education, same degree, cheaper.
  15. John Durian

John Durian Durio zibethinus

Dental Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    And you don't get ahead financially with that extra year off at UOP. The interest accumulation and starting salaries are both misleading.

Also, boards going p/f does NOT make UCSF any less attractive for specialization. Good luck trying to be top 10 (in a class of a hundred-something) at UOP vs having the same rank as everyone else (in a class of eighty-something) at UCSF.
  16. sfdent1

sfdent1

Pre-Dental
    Thanks everyone:) I ended up choosing uop
  17. steiner2

steiner2

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Holy muffins. I'd nearly fell out of my chair backwards and turned over. I can't believe the prices. And people complain about health professionals making too much money!!! Skyrocketing healthcare costs???

Look at the tuition, at that rate, I'd pay off the debt in 10 years.