Primary Care fellowship for EM docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namethatsmell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there are EM fellowships for FM/IM docs, but are there fellowships that go in the reverse direction? That is, are there outpatient primary care fellowships for EM trained docs? I'm really not interested in starting a political war, just wondering if these opportunities exist.

Members don't see this ad.

None that I am aware of, at least for purposes of being board certified in FM.

This said, there are many post-residency fellowships for people who just want more experience and/or to learn more. Some pay more than residency minimum wage. Insofar as many of them seem to be quasi-official for purposes of cheap labor plus some learning, I would imagine that they would potentially be open to taking a EM BC/BE physician with a clean record. Below is a link to search for some. I believe that there are many other less official programs out there that others can chime in about.

https://nf.aafp.org/Directories/Fellowship/Search

You can do a prelim medicine internship if you want. I did one and I felt pretty confident with primary care afterward.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do a prelim medicine internship if you want. I did one and I felt pretty confident with primary care afterward.

Interesting. Was it tough finding a primary care job after only doing the prelim? Did you do any other training?

oh, im not in primary care yet. im doing a residency in another specialty and currently switching to FM. At the latter end of my internship, however, two of my attendings offered me jobs like taking call or covering while on vacation as long as I got my license. You can get pretty good at the end of the year and may well convince folks where you are applying that you have current primary care experience and credential you as a primary care provider/GP in addition to your ED appointment (make sense, right?). TY year at an FM program would probably be ideal (added OB and peds exposure) but many of them are super hard to get, even I had trouble and ended up in a prelim IM and my stats were decent (>240, >250 steps, upper quartile, honors in core clerkships...) because I was literally competing with the derm, rad onc folks during my interviews.

funny, I am actually interested in urgent care, ED work in the future for a short time and only part-time which is why I chose FM over EM. ill either do that EM fellowship if needed or do a bunch of ED/ICU/trauma electives + ATLS/APLS/NRP/ALSO.

Last edited: