Primary school- cant figure out which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maschka1

CSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Know there are a bazillion threads about this, but I am sort of confused, in my situation. I have nearly 200 credits from 4 different colleges and have no clue which one to use?

So here is why:

The school I received my undergrad degree from has the worst GPA (<3.0). I took 110 credits here. As far as pre-req's go I took Gen Chem 2, Bio 1 & 2, Genetics, and Micro

My next school has 36 credits of only upper division science and 3.9 GPA. I took Gen chem 1, Ochem 1 & 2, Biochem, Physics 2, Cell and Molecular Bio, Upper division Micro class, etc. I am actually only 3 credits shy of a BS in Biology from this school

3rd school is where I am now, working on my masters. (I have a 4.0 GPA) for the last 16 credits. Obviously these are also all upper division science

then I have random classes at a local community college- so it has my math and physics 1.

My issue is, I feel like the second school has more pre-reqs, but the first school has my only degree held, but by matriculation, I will also hold a masters degree. Anyone have a suggestion for which school to use? How much does it matter? Is the entry on VMCAS for GPA used for statistical purposes only? or do schools use it for application purposes too?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not calculate your cumulative GPA for all classes taken?

I Know there are a bazillion threads about this, but I am sort of confused, in my situation. I have nearly 200 credits from 4 different colleges and have no clue which one to use?

So here is why:

The school I received my undergrad degree from has the worst GPA (<3.0). I took 110 credits here. As far as pre-req's go I took Gen Chem 2, Bio 1 & 2, Genetics, and Micro

My next school has 36 credits of only upper division science and 3.9 GPA. I took Gen chem 1, Ochem 1 & 2, Biochem, Physics 2, Cell and Molecular Bio, Upper division Micro class, etc. I am actually only 3 credits shy of a BS in Biology from this school

3rd school is where I am now, working on my masters. (I have a 4.0 GPA) for the last 16 credits. Obviously these are also all upper division science

then I have random classes at a local community college- so it has my math and physics 1.

My issue is, I feel like the second school has more pre-reqs, but the first school has my only degree held, but by matriculation, I will also hold a masters degree. Anyone have a suggestion for which school to use? How much does it matter? Is the entry on VMCAS for GPA used for statistical purposes only? or do schools use it for application purposes too?

Thanks guys!

Unless they have changed VMCAS they explain that that primary school can be where you received degree, most credits, most pre-reqs, most recent etc.

So in your case, there is some flexibility... I would take option #2 and put in explanation section why you chose that one. (along with other GPAs which you have to list anyway).

Most (all?) schools calculate themselves anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks SOV! I think that's probably a good way to go about it. It's sort of what I was thinking, but appreciate hearing the idea from someone else. After taking 8 credits of graduate course work in 8 weeks AND working on vet school application shenanigans I think I need reassurance or even just someone to point which way is up :)

Thanks SOV! I think that's probably a good way to go about it. It's sort of what I was thinking, but appreciate hearing the idea from someone else. After taking 8 credits of graduate course work in 8 weeks AND working on vet school application shenanigans I think I need reassurance or even just someone to point which way is up :)
:thumbup: good luck