Printer/Scanner for school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, is it worth purchasing a printer/scanner for school? I've heard from people they literally do everything digitally but I figured it might be nice to have access to a printer. Or should I just rely on my school's printer?

Also - any suggestions on printers?

Members don't see this ad.

I did enough printing and scanning to make it worth it to have my own. Of course if I had to print large amounts, I would go to school, but there were often times I only wanted one or two pages. Not driving to school for that, plus I could do mine in color. Scanner was nice for sending documents and such, or for scanning nice diagrams I would find or draw myself.

you'll probably have a lot of group projects, essays/reports, homework assignments that you'll need to print. and its good to be able to scan them in for your records so you don't have to keep up with binders and binders of assignments and paperwork.

Members don't see this ad :)
Printer, yes. Just get a scanner app for your phone, way more convenient.

Reactions: 1 users
God damn I wish I had a scanner 3rd/4th year.

Every month a new hospital needs stupid paperwork filled out and emailed.

For gods sake, get a scanner

Reactions: 1 user
Get a laser printer from brother.

Sometimes you need to print out note packets and such. Depends on the professor though.

+ 1 for laser printer. Using highlighters on ink jets suck.

Having a scanner for third and fourth year is really nice. You'll want to digitize documents to upload to VSAS, send to away rotation programs, etc.

Scanner app for your phone will work wonders. I use turboscan. I think it was $4.

+1 for brother printers specifically the HL2270DW. You can get toner for super cheap. The TN450 is around $15 and will net you 2500 pages, can't beat that.

Get a laser printer from brother.

Sometimes you need to print out note packets and such. Depends on the professor though.

I religiously print and take notes on the powerpoints. Spring for a laser all-in-one, the MFC-7860 DW has worked great for me. You might be able to catch one at Office Depot or Costco on sale.

what scanner app do u recommend for the phone? i tried one and honestly felt like just taking pics was a better idea

I use tiny scan, it has worked great for me. I scanned all my school related documents (flu shots, immunization records, etc) and emailed them to myself so I could just forward them to someone on my phone in no time at all.

I've noticed that the print quality on my home printer is nowhere near the quality of the big school printers. I would spend my money at school, b/c anytime I highlight over something printed it gets messy. No, I don't have an amazing printer, it's a quality enough home printer with brand name ink.

Some people have an obsession with printing out things. Personally, I only print something when I'm required to print it and submit it. Otherwise, I just do everything digital.

I love my printer. Scanning is invaluable to me and I study mostly at home so going to school to print would be cumbersome for me